2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #151
TJXTWO

Nice Video Willy.

One question for the oil experts here: I was reading through my ZDDP additive info, and they discouraged the use of diesel oils in gas motors because of the high detergent levels causing bearing wear. Anybody know if this is true, or is the company that makes the additive just trying to sell more product?

03 TJ Sport, 4.5" RE SuperFlex short arm lift, Tereflfex ST swaybar, 33" MTR's, Body Armor bumpers @ sliders, 5 speed manual... 06 TJ Rubicon, 4.5" RE long arm lift, Currie Antirock front and rear , OR Fab bumpers @ sliders, K@N intake, custom exhaust, 1" BL , 1" motor mount lift, 35" MTR's on Pro Comp Alloys, 6 speed manual.
TJXTWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #152
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
I was curious if there was a current poll of '05-'06 owners stating mileage, OPDA issues thus far, oil type etc., to give a better idea of the actual scope of this problem.
There's one in this forum, if that's what you meant
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/op...-sign-1084723/
lope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #153
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJXTWO View Post
Nice Video Willy.

One question for the oil experts here: I was reading through my ZDDP additive info, and they discouraged the use of diesel oils in gas motors because of the high detergent levels causing bearing wear. Anybody know if this is true, or is the company that makes the additive just trying to sell more product?
In for answer before I change to mobil1 5w-40, having a hell of a time finding the stuff. I've been all over town and could only find 4 quarts
Unread 01-24-2011, 05:12 PM   #154
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Has anyone had a 06 out of warranty fixed by Chrysler?
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #155
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreHeath View Post
Has anyone had a 06 out of warranty fixed by Chrysler?
Since it's out of warranty it would be cheaper to do yourself. Once they get back in stock you can the parts and tools for under $200.
Unread 01-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #156
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Since it's out of warranty it would be cheaper to do yourself. Once they get back in stock you can the parts and tools for under $200.
I'm talking about Chrysler paying for it. My buddy has an 05 LJ that needs a cam and everything. His has 40k miles on it and he is the 3rd owner. His was originally bought from Chrysler by a rental co then sold to the owner that had it before him. Since the original owner was a company and not a person does that exclude him from getting the powertrain warranty transferred.
Unread 01-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #157
kgginslc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
In for answer before I change to mobil1 5w-40, having a hell of a time finding the stuff. I've been all over town and could only find 4 quarts
Amazon has it.
kgginslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #158
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I didn't mean to come off too harsh. I reread my post and it may have seemed so. If so I apologize.

You would think there would be some feedback from dealers or Chrysler. All I've gotten was the "mouth-breather" look, denials, and an overall lack of significant help. This forum and the contributors have been outstanding.

My biggest fear from the Chrysler's lack of support is the potential for the camshaft damage. The dealer told me straight-faced that the camshaft was fine. That is the one area were engine knowledge is required for service. I hope with a suitably lubricated OPDA and ZDDP the camshaft gear will survive.
You didn't come off harsh at all, I just didn't want to offend all the hard work you guys have put into this issue on numerous threads. All input and info is greatly appreciated.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #159
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lope View Post
There's one in this forum, if that's what you meant
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/op...-sign-1084723/
Great. Thanks.
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #160
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJXTWO View Post
Nice Video Willy.

Yes, some diesel oils are not rated API SM/SL and you'd definately want to avoid using those in a gasoline engine.
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck is however rated API SM safe for all gasoline engines....I know, I know, API also said all other lower zddp SM's were completely safe for our 4.0 engines which is obviously not the case, but the recommendation I am referencing comes from Mobil themselves, not API.

Mobil 1 TDT oil It is actually designed for light duty diesel (pickup truck engines) and gasoline engines rather than some diesel oils that are primarily designed for big-rig and heavy-duty diesel applications.

In addition, M1 TDT oil is a 5w40 oil which is much better suited to the requirements of the Jeep 4.0 than a HD 15w40 diesel oil.

The key here is that Turbo Diesel Truck oil being marketed as a 'diesel' oil, it provides a loophole for Mobil to offer the higher ZDDP levels while still meeting the SM classification. If it were a gasoline engine only oil, Mobil would be forced to lower the ZDDP levels.
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #161
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm talking about Chrysler paying for it. My buddy has an 05 LJ that needs a cam and everything. His has 40k miles on it and he is the 3rd owner. His was originally bought from Chrysler by a rental co then sold to the owner that had it before him. Since the original owner was a company and not a person does that exclude him from getting the powertrain warranty transferred.
I seriously doubt it. Is he having issues, throwing codes? Could he possible replace the OPDA only? I don't think Chrysler will help especially since he is the third owner. They barely help original owners.
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #162
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

An 05's warranty is only transferable to the second owner. If it was a dealer car that was never titled then possibly but not just because a rental company owned it.
Unread 01-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #163
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I seriously doubt it. Is he having issues, throwing codes? Could he possible replace the OPDA only? I don't think Chrysler will help especially since he is the third owner. They barely help original owners.
CPS code and drivability issues too.
Unread 01-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #164
grnberet2b
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, it will exclude him from getting the powertrain warranty transferred.

IMO, Your cheapest bet is to find an independent mechanic (I have a specialty Jeep shop and know of at least 1 Chrysler Master Certified Tech within 20 minutes of my house), explain it to them (they will know - they've all at least heard about it) and ask them what they can do for you. If you're heart is set on a dealership, shop around, explain the issue, see how knowledgeable they seem about it all.

He can try to contact Chrysler, but know that they're going to try to shut him down fast because he's the third owner and they've decided that, after two owners, all the warranties expire.
grnberet2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #165
SKINUM
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I can't believe this has become such a big issue. I had decided on a LJ but this issue has me thinking otherwise. Frustrating as hell!

I'm assuming all date ranges are still experiencing this problem?
SKINUM is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.