2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 102 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 06-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #1516
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

For those of you using M1 TDT, I just got my O'Reilly's ad - $19.99 a gal. Good price??

Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #1517
-JD-
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
For those of you using M1 TDT, I just got my O'Reilly's ad - $19.99 a gal. Good price??
Quote:
Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
FWIW, my local NAPA is running a $4.99/qt sale on Mobil 1 Oils (I think through June). That included the TDT last time I bought.

IIRC, last time I saw it at Walmart it was closer to $25/gal.
Bought 3, 6qt cases at NAPA @ $4.99/qt - $19.96/gal a little over a week ago.

$19.99/gal seems on the money.
2006 Rubicon Unlimited 6-Sp Manual - 285/75/16 Cooper ST MAXX/stock Moab wheels, Savvy Under Armor BL/MML, Savvy Step-Rocker/Sliders, Savvy/Currie Ultimate Steering, Savvy UCAs, Currie LCAs, TBs and BSs, Nth/AEV 3" Springs, Rancho 9000XLs (255s/256s), ARB D44 Diff covers, Savvy/Tom Woods HD Rubicon Rear drive shaft, Genright Safari 31gal Tank Soon: Savvy LED Lights, new engine :-(
-JD- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #1518
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The new OPDA arrived. Same POS as before, REV-E. But, it's new.

This is the same price I paid for one the first time before it became big news. Then it went up to nearly $400 now back to $135 shipped? I wonder if they are trying to get rid of the remaining stock for the supposed July update about this problem? Either way, much more peace of mind having another new new. It'll sit around until needed.

-1987 BMW 528e 5spd e28 - personal Panzer for the daily driven battlefield, just broken in at 300k

-1990 BMW 325i Convertible 5spd e30 - extensive overhaul in progress

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Night Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #1519
Onetype
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My brother bought an 05 LJ yesterday and drove it from IN back to wheres hes stationed in KS. About 150 miles in his check engine light came on with a p0344 code. I found this thread and told him about it. This is what his OPDA gear looked like when I told him to check it. This is what he sent me.

Onetype is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #1520
cologc46

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I am glad I found this thread. I just changed my oil, and did not get the right stuff. Oh well, my TJ is very low mileage, so I will run out this oil and put in the VR1.

This thread documents some excellent hard work, thanks to all who have contributed.
Unread 07-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #1521
Onetype
2000 XJ Cherokee 

^^^

Last edited by Onetype; 07-05-2011 at 06:52 AM..
Onetype is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #1522
unlimitedlj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Opda

I have a 2005 Unlimited with a build date of October 2004. I have read on here and other places that 05/06 models have premature oil pump failure as well as camshaft problems and I know the earlier models with the distributorless ignition systems had a slightly different set up but, mine is set up just like what I see here. I have 85k on mine and haven't had any problems and show no TSB or recalls I was just wondering if I should be worried or not? I have been using the Valvoline VR1 10w-30 with the ZDDP levels the flat tappets need thinking that it will be my safest bet but, I just wanted to know everyones thoughts on all this?

Thanks,

Ej
unlimitedlj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #1523
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimitedlj View Post
I have a 2005 Unlimited with a build date of October 2004. I have read on here and other places that 05/06 models have premature oil pump failure as well as camshaft problems and I know the earlier models with the distributorless ignition systems had a slightly different set up but, mine is set up just like what I see here. I have 85k on mine and haven't had any problems and show no TSB or recalls I was just wondering if I should be worried or not? I have been using the Valvoline VR1 10w-30 with the ZDDP levels the flat tappets need thinking that it will be my safest bet but, I just wanted to know everyones thoughts on all this?

Thanks,

Ej
You will know for sure when you pull it. There is a video on the first page using the sharpie method. In 20 minutes you'll know for sure what shape you're in. In my experience, the norm is premature wear. There are instances of OPDA shaft binding (that the FogMOD eliminates or at least substantially reduces), however the time frame of failure is not consistent. Some times you get a warning squeal, some times you toast an engine. It can happen at 12K, 50K, 100K there is no rhyme or reason for the delay that we have identified here. Maybe oil type, driving habits, break-in, we just don't know.

The concensus here is to complete the FogMOD and change the oil to VR1 or M1TDT. Again everything is outlined on the first page. Doing nothing is not advisable. There are some who have had no problem and some who need a new engine. I would recommend having a preventative outlook.

1. Check it for wear (highly likely at 85K). Free.
2. Replace with a new unit at a minimum. $120ish, link on first page.
3. FogMOD is highly advisable since shaft binding has been seen and can cause catastrophic failure. $40-60 ball park for tools, or having someone do it. If you're not good with machining PM me.
4. Run VR1, M1TDT, or ZDDPlus additive. $40 Oil cost

Whatever you do, don't do nothing.

Good luck.
Unread 07-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #1524
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I heard somewhere Chrysler is going to fix this problem by making a fixed unit available to the public this July? is this true?
Brainwashed2566 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #1525
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainwashed2566 View Post
I heard somewhere Chrysler is going to fix this problem by making a fixed unit available to the public this July? is this true?
Wait, that can't be true. According to a few in this thread, that problem is caused by a lack of ZDDP in the oil so therefore the problem cannot be fixed by anything except by having more ZDDP in the oil.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #1526
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Wait, that can't be true. According to a few in this thread, that problem is caused by a lack of ZDDP in the oil so therefore the problem cannot be fixed by anything except by having more ZDDP in the oil.
I don't believe anyone in this thread or any opda thread thinks that Jerry. Obviously its a poorly designed unit. And we know you believe zddp is pointless and you know everything about everything.
Unread 07-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #1527
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger
It can happen at 12K, 50K, 100K there is no rhyme or reason for the delay that we have identified here. Maybe oil type, driving habits, break-in, we just don't .
I check in on this thread from time to time. 06 with 97K+ here and no symptoms so far. Still interested if there is an ultimate resolution here.
Unread 07-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #1528
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainwashed2566 View Post
This rumor was started in this thread. I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it." If I were you I'd plan as if it were not true. The risk is too great and the mod is too cheap not to do it.
Unread 07-05-2011, 08:02 AM   #1529
Fusco
Hey Now

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
This rumor was started in this thread. I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it." If I were you I'd plan as if it were not true. The risk is too great and the mod is too cheap not to do it.
...or wish in one hand and poo in another....see which one fills up first. haha.

ok kinda foul, but u get the idea, d'oooh
Fusco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #1530
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post

When a faulty component design puts undue resistance on a moving part and as such puts more pressure on a gearset, the gears will obviously wear much faster than intended.

Using a lubricant with known higher anti-wear properties would likely help to diminish the effect of gear wear until a solution is available that would eliminate the source of resistance.

Not rocket science....
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.