2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 101 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #1501
rgstj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Drilling tap for grease fitting?

When drilling for the grease fitting on a FOGMOD do you drill through the bushing or will it miss it? I can't tell by looking, looks like a space between the two bushings.

rgstj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #1502
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgstj View Post
When drilling for the grease fitting on a FOGMOD do you drill through the bushing or will it miss it? I can't tell by looking, looks like a space between the two bushings.

It is all explained by Willy on page 1 but no you don't drill through the bushing there. The bushing is drilled through from the factory grease port. That is why you need a bottom tap for the grease fitting. There is little space in the grease reservoir there. You do need to be careful & drill slowly. You will feel when it goes through the first layer, stop there.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #1503
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

UPDATE:

Changed my oil today after 5,000 miles with a modded OPDA that I got from Willydigger. I was running the Mobil 1 TDT oil and today I switched to the Valvoline VR1 10w-30. Pulled the OPDA to inspect wear and was happy with the result. The gear was slightly used when I got it from Willydigger and it looked the same way the day I dropped it in. It's only been 5,000 miles so this may not be a good indication of whether or not it will abnormally wear. I do plan on pulling it every oil change to inspect. I will also note that I was in a hurry and didn't have the OPDA lined up correctly when I reinstalled it (I think the target wheel was off half a turn). The Jeep wouldn't even start with it this way. So I reinstalled it and took my time to make sure it was lined up correctly. No problems, no CEL. Here are a few pics.

Sorry about the blur (iPhone)

The housing did have some oil in it when I pulled it, can be seen here

Unread 06-25-2011, 06:28 AM   #1504
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
UPDATE:
The housing did have some oil in it when I pulled it, can be seen here
That's odd. That indicates a seal failure. That might not be a bad thing, but keep an eye on it. That would mean there is enough oil and pressure to fill the bottom bushing containment and squeeze through the seal, and finally past the grease layer. Since it's not shooting out everywhere, any lubrication is good lubrication.
Unread 06-25-2011, 07:06 AM   #1505
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
That's odd. That indicates a seal failure. That might not be a bad thing, but keep an eye on it. That would mean there is enough oil and pressure to fill the bottom bushing containment and squeeze through the seal, and finally past the grease layer. Since it's not shooting out everywhere, any lubrication is good lubrication.
I guess the oil does make it's way up the shaft, hopefully it is helping the lubrication issue, I'll take what I can get!

Also something I noticed so far with the Valvoline oil, I have some lifter noise a few seconds after start up that I didn't have with the Mobil 1 TDT.
Unread 06-25-2011, 07:32 AM   #1506
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I would be thinking that is not oil,but grease that has broken down with heat and lost some of its viscosity or " thickness ". If oil has gotten past the seal it will wash the grease off. Anyways, congrats on the lack of wear shown.
Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2011, 07:38 AM   #1507
Jetscuh
O rly?

Quote:
I guess the oil does make it's way up the shaft, hopefully it is helping the lubrication issue, I'll take what I can get!

Also something I noticed so far with the Valvoline oil, I have some lifter noise a few seconds after start up that I didn't have with the Mobil 1 TDT.
For what it's worth, I've heard a others on here claim that Valvoline oil does cause lifter noise on a TJ.

I've only used Valvoline once or twice and can't remember if I experienced any noise.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #1508
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
I would be thinking that is not oil,but grease that has broken down with heat and lost some of its viscosity or " thickness ". If oil has gotten past the seal it will wash the grease off. Anyways, congrats on the lack of wear shown.
I kinda agree. I canít imagine that much (if any) oil getting past the seal AND the grease packed around the bushing. What grease are you using? From the last photo I see that it ran down to the low side of the housing (when in the engine) but in that photo it appears that it stayed there now rather than running to what is the low side in the photo. Makes me think it is grease that flows when hot then solidifies as it cools. Is it thin like oil or thicker, more like grease?

Some greases have a large change in viscosity with relatively small temp changes.

That gear wear pattern looks great.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #1509
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Bucket sale at NAPA this weekend. Just picked up a case of VR1 for 25% off.
Unread 06-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #1510
coppertop71

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh View Post
For what it's worth, I've heard a others on here claim that Valvoline oil does cause lifter noise on a TJ.

I've only used Valvoline once or twice and can't remember if I experienced any noise.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-tech-performance/1646912-vr1-racing-oil-isnt-the-oil-we-thought-it-was.html

Above is a link to a forum write up about the VR1 oil. Below is my information on oils from a cam replacement job I did last month

I just replaced my cam with a Melling's Cam and lifters the cam came with a warning note saying the only oil they recommend for flat tappet valves are listed below with he protection break down of wear preventive additives. The note also says these oil have flash points above 400f.

Delo 400
Magnesium 23
Calcium 3343
Zinc 1376
Viscosity @100c 15.95
*TBN 10.63

Delvac
Moly 35
Born 61
Calcium 2195
Magnesium 419
Phosphorus 1120
Zinc 1231
Viscosity @100c 15.5
*No TBN

Rotella T
Magnesium 20
Calcium 3322
Phosphorus 1326
Zinc 1499
TBN 10.36
Viscosity @100c 15.12
*TBN 10.36

*TBN stands for Total Base Number, which is the measurement of a lubricant's reserve alkalinity. The higher a motor oil's TBN, the more effective it is in handling contaminates and reducing the corrosive effects of acid for an extended period of time.

And with all that all I can say is I could only find Rotella T5 in a 10W/30 weight I dont know if the T5 is the same as just T formula but thats what I'm running now.

If anyone has a answer to my question why does the Delvac oil have No TBN but yet its a recommended oil for this cam seems like if TBN is a good thing then this oil should have some protection there??

Dont know if this means anything but...
My findings about the OPDA gear on other 4.0's. I went to a junk yard and pulled 6 OPDA's and 2 regular style distributors out of 6 XJ's and they all had this same wear around the gear. Could mean you will always see gear wear but the bushing wear is a different story. The XJ's dated back to early 90's
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, 4.0 4:11 gears

'90 Cherokee XJ,W/'91 4.0L reman/ 3.5" RE lift, W/31" M/S tires, 4:11 Gears W/Speedo gear change/ Aluminum Coolant Tank
A/C Conversion/Home Built Roof Rack/K&N Box Filter
Derale 15" Rigid Radiator Fan PT# DER-17415, through Summit W/2"X5/8X5/8"" spacer

Jeep Pic's
coppertop71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #1511
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with gear wear being a normal event. What we are seeing is premature and due to oil and eventually upper bushing.

I question the oil recommendations on your list only because of the dates. The post linked to the corvette forum was from 2007 and we know the oil additives have changed over the years. I would recommend contacting the oil manufacturer with oils you are curious about and as a last resort send it out for an oil analysis.

I think the Mobil 1 TDT and VR1 are suitable from what I've read here and based on the manufacturer replies to our concerns. I remember a discussion years ago about Rotella T and the shrinking ZDDP levels.

FOG mentioned this a long time ago regarding acceptable gear wear. You should have a small patch in the middle of the gear. Anything more than that is a sign that oil or bushing design is faulty.

With regards to ticking the difference in oil weight could play a roll. While a 5w40 and 10w30 are close there is a difference that you may notice. Assuming Chase switched to the 10w30 from M1TDT. Also with changing oils the filter may be leaking past the check.
Unread 06-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #1512
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppertop71 View Post
I just replaced my cam with a Melling's Cam and lifters the cam came with a warning note saying the only oil they recommend for flat tappet valves are listed below with he protection break down of wear preventive additives.
I wonder if those Melling recommendations are slightly out of date - I think basically all of the newer diesel oils are at no more than 1100 PPM Zinc/Phos.

As far as valvetrain noise on VR1, I would say I've had the opposite experience - I've noticed both of my 4.0's are quieter with the VR1 10W-30 in them. Perhaps some people got defective oil filters or insist upon running orange cans of death?
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #1513
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I switched oil filters this time around as well, no orange cans of death for me....picked up the mopar filter. So switched from mobil 1 TDT with a mobil 1 filter, to Valvoline vr1 with the mopar filter, the lifter noise has subsided as well.....dunno!
Unread 06-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #1514
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I switched oil filters this time around as well, no orange cans of death for me....picked up the mopar filter. So switched from mobil 1 TDT with a mobil 1 filter, to Valvoline vr1 with the mopar filter, the lifter noise has subsided as well.....dunno!
I generally used Mopar filters from Walmart. Every once in a while I'll get a start up tick. If it doesn't go away after a couple seconds I restart.
Unread 06-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #1515
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So it's back down to $120 again?

http://dodge-wholesale.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=221662

Maybe I should pick another one up...

*edit - just did. $135 total. Mine failed around 60k before this thread was created. I thought it was just a fluke, didn't know it was widespread. I installed the new one and then realized it was a big problem. I pulled it out about 25k miles later and did the FOGMOD. This is when the price went up to $370+.

Now I'll have a spare. Bought my Jeep with 40k now has 94k on it. If the FOGMOD replacement holds out for a long time and I don't use the spare, maybe I'll install a new cam at some point but for now all is well.

-1987 BMW 528e 5spd e28 - personal Panzer for the daily driven battlefield, just broken in at 300k

-1990 BMW 325i Convertible 5spd e30 - extensive overhaul in progress

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Night Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.