2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 100 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #1486
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06RubiconBlue View Post
agreed! I May put 100 miles on it in a month. I hear a TSB will be out in July, should i wait and see what Chrysler is going to do or go ahead and get a new one. Im sure they wont go as far as replacing a cam and lifters but i may get a free OPDA?
I would put no value in that rumor or the Skinny Petal rumor. You'll hate yourself if you blow up your engine hoping for a better fix. That timing will have to work out on it's own. Also with the price fluctuation, buy now while it's relatively low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by element981 View Post
WIlly, first off thanks for all the help over the last two weeks. Anyways, my shaft is actually tapered. My punch by itself will only go half way through the shaft and that was it. Other than that the gear and the shaft lined up as good as can be.
I can't understand why they would do that. It serves no purpose to taper a roll pin hole.

Unread 06-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #1487
element981
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
That IS interesting. Any photos? Shaft, gear, pin? Is it still rev.E?
Yes, my new one is Rev E.
Jarhead Jeep Club member #17
Colorado Jeep Club member #119
July 14, 2008
RIP Danny Dupre SSgt/USMC
element981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2011, 08:25 AM   #1488
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77
Based on my experience, a new OPDA/OPDA gear will quickly pick up the same wear pattern your existing gear already has. The only real fix is a new cam and OPDA gear. You can buy yourself perhaps a lot of time just switching OPDA gears, but eventually the cam will have enough wear on the gear that it will exceed the window of error that the computer can tolerate even with a new-ish OPDA gear.
How is the new cam holding up TJJP? I would assume that if your opda gear is wearing, so is the new cam. I'm wondering if a new cam is really the ultimate fix or a big waste of time and $$$. Keep us posted.

Sent from my Droid using JeepForum
Unread 06-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #1489
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, my new one is Rev E.
Do you have any pics of the punch? What did you use to punch the pin out? If it was tapered you wouldn't have been able to punch it out with same punch.
Unread 06-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #1490
element981
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Do you have any pics of the punch? What did you use to punch the pin out? If it was tapered you wouldn't have been able to punch it out with same punch.
No I do not. I purchased the punch the day a did the mod. It has a flat tip and it goes throught the old one with no issues. Part of me feels I should mod the old one and put it back in my Jeep because it seem all around the same as the new one, but spins way better.
Jarhead Jeep Club member #17
Colorado Jeep Club member #119
July 14, 2008
RIP Danny Dupre SSgt/USMC
element981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #1491
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No I do not. I purchased the punch the day a did the mod. It has a flat tip and it goes throught the old one with no issues. Part of me feels I should mod the old one and put it back in my Jeep because it seem all around the same as the new one, but spins way better.
Some of the new ones are tight. Maybe it's a correction of tolerance issues. Maybe it's just not worn down yet. There is no harm in modding the old one.
Unread 06-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #1492
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK, I got a question. A while back I bent a pushrod(due to frozen valve), I was able to unfreeze the valve and install a new pushrod, so far it seems to be working ok, but now I have an obvious tick in the engine. Could the valve have fozen up because of the oil pump gear going bad?

Im about to take the head out and have a valvejob done to make sure there wasnt any major damage. I havent done a compression check yet, but when I pull the head Im going to replace all the pushrods and lifters. I am also going to put in a new waterpump too while Im at it. I have a 2005 4.0L motor with just under 90k on the odometer. Should I be thinking about replacing the cam as well or the oil pump gear? I have no clue why the first pushrod bent in the first place but Im wondering if the top end got starved for oil. ANy tips or suggestions appreciated.

Also if I do replace the OPDA, should I replace with an 04' model with the "grooves" on the shaft or am I stuck with an 05'-06' model?
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #1493
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You should check the cam and OPDA gears while you're in there.

Yes, you are stuck with an '05 - '06 OPDA.

If the failure was due to the OPDA you would have lost all oil pressure when the OPDA gear failed. So, I don't think the valve issue is related to the OPDA.
Unread 06-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #1494
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp View Post
You should check the cam and OPDA gears while you're in there.

Yes, you are stuck with an '05 - '06 OPDA.

If the failure was due to the OPDA you would have lost all oil pressure when the OPDA gear failed. So, I don't think the valve issue is related to the OPDA.
No the oil pressure guage still reads normal, but I will pull and inspect the cam and OPDA gears and shaft while im there and will replace if showing any significant wear. Thanks!

Also, if the camshaft is showing wear or damage on the lobe, do I need to pull the engine to replace cam? How expensive is the cam itself?
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #1495
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You don't have to pull the engine to replace the cam, but you will have to remove the radiator, condenser, grill, etc in front of the engine. I believe someone has posted a thread with pics on this. I think they also listed the cost of the cam and lifters, but I don't remember what it ran.
Unread 06-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #1496
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepScrap View Post
How is the new cam holding up TJJP? I would assume that if your opda gear is wearing, so is the new cam. I'm wondering if a new cam is really the ultimate fix or a big waste of time and $$$. Keep us posted.
So far so good. Last time I had it apart, I had a nice narrow wear pattern on the OPDA gear, which is what you want - the gear on the cam still had not "burnished" in yet and basically looked the same as it did when I took it out of the box it shipped in. Unfortunately, someone hit me on the way home from work a week and a half ago, so now I'm dealing with that. When I get the Jeep fixed, I'll pull the OPDA again and have another look-see.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #1497
snobank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Will this happen to all 06_05 jeeps----if soWTF...will an 04 motor bolt right in place
snobank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #1498
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77

So far so good. Last time I had it apart, I had a nice narrow wear pattern on the OPDA gear, which is what you want - the gear on the cam still had not "burnished" in yet and basically looked the same as it did when I took it out of the box it shipped in. Unfortunately, someone hit me on the way home from work a week and a half ago, so now I'm dealing with that. When I get the Jeep fixed, I'll pull the OPDA again and have another look-see.
Glad to hear about the cam and sorry to hear about the fender bender. Good luck.

Sent from my Droid using JeepForum
Unread 06-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #1499
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepScrap View Post
Glad to hear about the cam and sorry to hear about the fender bender. Good luck.
Yeah, I'm still pretty angry about it - my Jeep was about as perfect as a Jeep can be - low mile (12,700 currently) 2006 Rubi LWB, 6-speed and I added a NAV radio, Comp/Temp mirror and sentry key.

Woman was coming to a stop as I was making my left turn on a green arrow and she decided to gun it and go for it. Thank goodness for the two witnesses who were nice enough to stop and support my story to the police.

Fortunately no major dents, but the body guy doesn't think paintless dent repair will work based on where the dents are - he thinks he's going to have to crack into the paint which I was hoping to avoid. I've never had much luck with proper match of the metallic flake size and pattern, but he does show vehicles for GM when they can't handle it in their own facilities or need it on a tight timeline, so his work is pretty good. I guess we'll see. I'm also going to need a driver's side flare and fog lamp and they authorized a new bumper since the powdercoat was scuffed off of mine and I guess it's just cheaper to get a bumper than strip and refinish.

I just want it back the way it was before the accident - back to being as close to perfect as any vehicle I've ever owned.
Unread 06-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #1500
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobank View Post
Will this happen to all 06_05 jeeps----if soWTF...will an 04 motor bolt right in place
Sure it will, but the cam sensor on an '04 won't provide a proper signal to an '05 or '06 computer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.