2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 01-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #136
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Updated the Problems section with the "laughing monkey" video made by fropleyquark. Thanks!
No prob. Hope it helps.

Unread 01-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #137
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Updated the Problems section with the "laughing monkey" video made by fropleyquark. Thanks!
Thanks to both of you. I finally know what the "Laughing Monkey's" sound like. Hope this is the last time I hear it.

Quote:
Does your gas tank overflow at the pump?
SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE!

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

1976 CJ-7 - 33" Super Swampers - BDS 4" Suspension - 6 Point Roll Cage
Mud Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #138
carnage351
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I know this is probably not new news, but got this from http://www.directmopar.com/. Was doing web searches looking for places that sell the OPDAs and they listed it. Here is there response when I asked if they had them in stock.

"No sir, that part is on a major back order. I ran it on the locator and the only two dealerships showing this part refused to sell it. If you have any questions let us know.
Thanks"

Looks like I will be modding my old one till they get some new ones built.
carnage351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 10:06 AM   #139
john NC
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Skygeek.com. I would get it from there. Most other "local" grease is too thick. It will take a few days to get it, but it's worth it. It will cost you about $25. It will be enough to last the life of your jeep.
i ordered from skygeek too, shipping was very reasonable and i got the grease in about 3 or 4 days. very well packed too so i didn't get a box full of grease
john NC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #140
grnberet2b
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
Did they replace your OPDA when they did all this? Seems odd that you would have severe wear in only 7000 miles if they did.
They did. It's listed on the invoice as a distributor (8027001) and Oil Pump (Pump Engi 9057001). Unless the dealer flat out lied to me and, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised at this point.
grnberet2b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #141
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnberet2b View Post
They did. It's listed on the invoice as a distributor (8027001) and Oil Pump (Pump Engi 9057001). Unless the dealer flat out lied to me and, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised at this point.
How was it not covered under warranty? This is a terrible story.
Unread 01-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #142
grnberet2b
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How was it not covered under warranty? This is a terrible story.
I was the third owner, so Chrysler basically told me to go to hell when I contacted them.

When I had the repair I was posting here.

Last edited by grnberet2b; 01-24-2011 at 11:04 AM..
grnberet2b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #143
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnberet2b View Post
I was the third owner, so Chrysler basically told me to go to hell when I contacted them.
I had the exact same experience with the dealer. I called Chrystler and since Im the 2nd owner, they basically said I was SOL.
Unread 01-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #144
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sometimes Chrysler will cover 50% of the cost, sometimes they tell you to go to hell. Regardless unbelievable that you had to come out of pocket $3,000 grnberet2b! This makes me sick, regardless if you're the 10th owner, this problem is due to faulty manufactured parts, not user error. Chrysler will never accept this fact though. It's ashame there isn't a class action suit, it pisses me off that this is costing so many Jeep owners money. It's not our fault for buying a 2005-2006 TJ or LJ, but that's how it seems
Unread 01-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #145
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Willydigger- Great video, but could you clarify 1 thing before I remove mine- Is the exact postioning of the housing itself to the block not that crucial?
You stated that getting the wheel clocked correctly back in the housing was the key. I must have been confused as I thought I read earlier that the housing position to the block needs set with an OBDII??
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #146
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
Willydigger- Great video, but could you clarify 1 thing before I remove mine- Is the exact postioning of the housing itself to the block not that crucial?
You stated that getting the wheel clocked correctly back in the housing was the key. I must have been confused as I thought I read earlier that the housing position to the block needs to be re-set with an OBDII??
Here is my advice. Mark the crap out of the thing and put it back the way you found it. Take a picture, use colored markers, whatever it takes to get it back in the way it came out.

The relationship with the target wheel and the sensor is the key part. As you saw in the video the target wheel has a little slop (backlash) so odds are it will not go in exactly the way it came out. The good thing is the computer will compensate for that and you will not notice. Now if you put it back together with it completely wrong you will throw a code. The actual marking of the housing to the engine is not as critical and arguably is not needed at all.

The OBDII will help determine the perfect alignment between the target wheel and the sensor. I believe the computer will compensate up to 15 deviance. Don't quote me on that, but if you match your lines back up for the target wheel and the sensor you should be within a few degrees.

All that said, put all the marks on the OPDA like in the video. You'll have the housing/block, sensor/target, and the backup.

Also you will not need an OBDII. Some have claimed they helped with fuel economy, but you will be so close with the sharpie you won't need it.
Unread 01-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #147
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Here is my advice. Mark the crap out of the thing and put it back the way you found it. Take a picture, use colored markers, whatever it takes to get it back in the way it came out.

The relationship with the target wheel and the sensor is the key part. As you saw in the video the target wheel has a little slop (backlash) so odds are it will not go in exactly the way it came out. The good thing is the computer will compensate for that and you will not notice. Now if you put it back together with it completely wrong you will throw a code. The actual marking of the housing to the engine is not as critical and arguably is not needed at all.

The OBDII will help determine the perfect alignment between the target wheel and the sensor. I believe the computer will compensate up to 15 deviance. Don't quote me on that, but if you match your lines back up for the target wheel and the sensor you should be within a few degrees.

All that said, put all the marks on the OPDA like in the video. You'll have the housing/block, sensor/target, and the backup.

Also you will not need an OBDII. Some have claimed they helped with fuel economy, but you will be so close with the sharpie you won't need it.
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't questioning so much as clarifying. Obviously you have removed and re-installed yours multiple times and yours is running so your method works.

I was curious if there was a current poll of '05-'06 owners stating mileage, OPDA issues thus far, oil type etc., to give a better idea of the actual scope of this problem.

When you consider all the '05-'06's in use today outside the confines of this message board, a bunch of those must be nearing and/or surpassing 100k miles by now and you'd think that there'd be more of a widespread epidemic of failures than just those documented here.

I'd be interested to get a better idea of actual real world percentage of failure.

With the obvious design flaw I'm suprised this isn't beginning to overhwhelm DC service depts. and DC customer service with complaints??

In other words, if by and large nearly all units from those two model years are destined for eventual failure if unattended as suggested here, eventually DC will be forced to come up with a satisfactory replacement part along with cam replacement for all '05-'06 models equipped with the 4.0. Seems it will be just too big of an issue to ignore and deny long term? An entire 2 year run of eventual engine failures of a name-brand auto is major news.

Thoughts and comments welcomed.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #148
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Skygeek.com. I would get it from there. Most other "local" grease is too thick. It will take a few days to get it, but it's worth it. It will cost you about $25. It will be enough to last the life of your jeep.
Skygeek was almost charging the cost of the grease to ship to Los Angeles. I found a local place that stocks Shell AeroShell 33MS. I will do the FogMOD this weekend. Thank you for all of your help.
Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #149
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't questioning so much as clarifying. Obviously you have removed and re-installed yours multiple times and yours is running so your method works.
I didn't mean to come off too harsh. I reread my post and it may have seemed so. If so I apologize.

You would think there would be some feedback from dealers or Chrysler. All I've gotten was the "mouth-breather" look, denials, and an overall lack of significant help. This forum and the contributors have been outstanding.

My biggest fear from the Chrysler's lack of support is the potential for the camshaft damage. The dealer told me straight-faced that the camshaft was fine. That is the one area were engine knowledge is required for service. I hope with a suitably lubricated OPDA and ZDDP the camshaft gear will survive.
Unread 01-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #150
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I was curious if there was a current poll of '05-'06 owners stating mileage, OPDA issues thus far, oil type etc., to give a better idea of the actual scope of this problem.

When you consider all the '05-'06's in use today outside the confines of this message board, a bunch of those must be nearing and/or surpassing 100k miles by now and you'd think that there'd be more of a widespread epidemic of failures than just those documented here.

I'd be interested to get a better idea of actual real world percentage of failure.

With the obvious design flaw I'm suprised this isn't beginning to overhwhelm DC service depts. and DC customer service with complaints??

In other words, if by and large nearly all units from those two model years are destined for eventual failure if unattended as suggested here, eventually DC will be forced to come up with a satisfactory replacement part along with cam replacement for all '05-'06 models equipped with the 4.0. Seems it will be just too big of an issue to ignore and deny long term? An entire 2 year run of eventual engine failures of a name-brand auto is major news.

Thoughts and comments welcomed.
Over the years I've dealt with a fleet of Ford trucks and have seen firsthand replacement parts that have undergone improvements over the original failed part. This is on trucks that have sold in the hundreds of thousands, Chrysler is only saying there " could possibly " be a problem with 16,000 Jeeps so I don't look for a factory fix, I hope I'm wrong.
Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.