2004 TJ Turn Signal Craziness - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2004 TJ Turn Signal Craziness

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
justinlancaster
2004 TJ Wrangler 

2004 TJ Turn Signal Craziness

My Jeep's having some weird issues with the left turn signal.

First the Left Signal started blinking much faster than the Right Signal. It did this for a while...

Today the Left Signal light on dash turned solid (not blinking) and makes a loud buzzing sound when it's on. The signal light itself is not working at this point.

Also, maybe unrelated but weird. During the "fast blinking phase" the beeping noise that you hear when the keys are in the ignition and you open the door would randomly come on when i was driving. It would beep for a couple minutes and then stop. One day I discovered if you turn the Right Signal on it would stop the beeping. Weird.

Anyone experience any of this kind of craziness with their Jeeps?

Is the signal something I can fix myself? (I'm not much of a mechanic, but I like to tinker)

If anyone can help with this I'd really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!!

J

justinlancaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Start by checking each bulb and socket. If the bulb isn't functioning, replace it. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to test the socket with a meter or test light.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Also check for shorts. Couple wires get crossed or touch ground and crazy things happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
RBxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Had a similar problem on my 06 LJ. Turned out to be water inside the the left turn signal enclosure. Turn sharp or stop too fast and it would short out the bulb and act crazy till the moisture got out of the connector.
Unread 06-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
justinlancaster
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys!

Update: I went out this morning and the buzzing stopped and now the Left Signal light in the dash is on constantly. Also the Left Side blinker lights up solid when the Left Turn Signal is engaged.

I'm going to check all my bulbs a little later this morning & replace any if needed.

Once I get into replacing I'll check out the sockets. Can you test them with a regular voltage tester? I have the super basic kind that just lights up.

I'll check the wiring too. Stupid question... How do I check for shorts? Is it just tracing the wires to make sure no wires are exposed or touching others?
Unread 06-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
ChiliPep99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had some issues similar to what you're having on my 99 TJ. It drove me crazy chasing down ground points and checking bulbs. Finally, I checked my front socket on the side I was having issues with and found the metal contacts inside were the problem. I had one missing and one loose. I did have a bulb burn out prior to the crazy issues which gave me the fast flash. The contact must have fallen out when I replaced the bulb. Hope this helps!
Unread 06-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You may need to get a multimeter to test the continuity of the wires to find a short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
justinlancaster
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like my rear left brake light & blinker (same bulb?) are out. This is the same side that's been giving me problems...

Think it's as simple as replacing the bulb?

Didn't check the sockets yet, need to get some tools to get in there.
Unread 06-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlancaster View Post
Looks like my rear left brake light & blinker (same bulb?)
Yes, two filaments are in one bulb that handles stop/turn/tail function

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlancaster View Post
Think it's as simple as replacing the bulb?
Could be. Cheap and easy enough to start with.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
FMFTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I had a very similar issue, after replacing damn near everything, it ended up being the flasher relay. But i would agree with every one else and start small with looking at the bulbs and harnesses first.
FMFTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
1999TJRED85000

A standard function of the electrical setup is to flash fast whenever the voltage changes significantly (when a bulb is out) so your Jeep is doing what it is supposed to do. Check all your bulbs, replace everything that doesn;t look right (bulbs are cheap) and your problem will hopefully go away.
Unread 06-05-2012, 05:54 AM   #12
justinlancaster
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So... I replaced the Brake/Signal & Third Brake Light bulbs and it fixed the fast blinking... For a 1/2 day.

Yesterday it started again, same side. Plus the beeping & solid Left Signal light on the dash I mentioned in the OP.

Going to check my lights this morning to see if any more bulbs blew.

Thoughts?
Unread 06-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #13
umbra
2014 KL Cherokee 

bulb>flasher/relay>fuses>socket>wiring and grounds.

I doubt that wiring and/or grounding is a problem, or you would be seeing other issues. My 97 did something similar, and it turned out to be a worn out socket that allowed the bulb to shake loose.
umbra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #14
justinlancaster
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbra View Post
My 97 did something similar, and it turned out to be a worn out socket that allowed the bulb to shake loose.
I think I'm having the same issue.

Last week I noticed my Rt Front Turn Signal was out. Tapped on it and it came back on. Took it apart and it looked like the bulb was a little loose. Also, the socket had separated from the wiring harness a little. Couldn't get it to click back together though. Think it needs to be replaced?
Unread 06-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #15
VT_Rubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem, ended up replacing my turn signal switch in the steering column.
VT_Rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
blinker , electrical issue , turn signal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.