2004 TJ Need Fog/Light Bar to turn off when using high beams - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 06-07-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
huntercloss

2004 TJ Need Fog/Light Bar to turn off when using high beams

I read through a whole bunch of post of people wanting their fog lights to stay on when using high beams, but in Maryland your fogs/light bar have to turn off when you use your high beams in order to pass vehicle inspection, in order to get tags. I have 2 sets of Fogs and a light bar (a lot of lights) I installed a separate fuse box for the lights in order to cut down on the wiring mess. All light are on independent dash rockers. I think I read that if you use the ground pin on the low beam relay as the ground for the light it should turn off all the other lights once the high beams are on. so my questions are 1. Can anyone confirm this? 2. Where is that relay and what pin would that be? and finally 3. Anyone have a better way to do this? Any and all help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-07-2017, 04:20 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's easily done. Power the fog lights & light bar through a relay, and power the relay's control coil from the wire powering one of the headlight's low beam connection. The low-beam voltage shuts off when the high beams are on which will shut the relay off shutting the fog & light bar lights off.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-07-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
huntercloss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
That's easily done. Power the fog lights & light bar through a relay, and power the relay's control coil from the wire powering one of the headlight's low beam connection. The low-beam voltage shuts off when the high beams are on which will shut the relay off shutting the fog & light bar lights off.
thanks, any suggestion on a relay?

post #4 of 16 Old 06-07-2017, 06:33 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

To expand a bit on what Jerry B posted. You stated that all of your aux lights have a seperate dash mounted rocker switch.

If these switches use a control voltage to run the relays for your lights, that's where I would start.

A standard 4 terminal automotive relay (1" black cube) will work. As Jerry stated, use the low beams power and ground to control the relay, use the relay's normally open contacts to "pull in" the power to the dash mounted switches.

This way, the power for all 3 light sets aren't going through the single relay, only the switch control voltage.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #5 of 16 Old 06-08-2017, 04:49 AM
phatplat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Light bars are "illegal" for road use anyway. Fog lights DO have to turn off when high beems are on, but offroad lights should not be subject to the same law. They should never be on while on the road*.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-08-2017, 05:03 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatplat View Post
Light bars are "illegal" for road use anyway. Fog lights DO have to turn off when high beems are on, but offroad lights should not be subject to the same law. They should never be on while on the road*.
I find the techs (and even cops) at inspection stations don't always under the exact requirements, much less the difference between off road and fog lights.

Sometimes, and this may be one, it's just easier not to argue and add a simple switch or relay to make everybody happy and get your sticker. After that it's easy to jumper around to work as you want it too.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #7 of 16 Old 06-08-2017, 10:11 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntercloss View Post
thanks, any suggestion on a relay?
A standard Bosch 12v automotive relay works fine for lights. Like this kit of two of them on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/Ehdis-Automot...tomotive&psc=1

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-08-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
huntercloss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
To expand a bit on what Jerry B posted. You stated that all of your aux lights have a seperate dash mounted rocker switch.

If these switches use a control voltage to run the relays for your lights, that's where I would start.

A standard 4 terminal automotive relay (1" black cube) will work. As Jerry stated, use the low beams power and ground to control the relay, use the relay's normally open contacts to "pull in" the power to the dash mounted switches.

This way, the power for all 3 light sets aren't going through the single relay, only the switch control voltage.
Thank you for this. I am having a little trouble understanding this. I bought the cube Relay (40a) it has four connections 85, 86,87 and 30. I think you are saying above I should take power from the ACC plug on the switch and run it through the Relay which I think is on 86? Low bean ground 85? Low bean power on 30? not sure what or anything to do with 87. Attached is diagram I marked up that came with the relay. any clarity would be great.
Attached Images

post #9 of 16 Old 06-08-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
huntercloss

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatplat View Post
Thanks, yeah that is what I thought. What dictates if it is considered an off road light vs a fog light ? Location ?
post #10 of 16 Old 06-08-2017, 05:01 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thank you for this. I am having a little trouble understanding this. I bought the cube Relay (40a) it has four connections 85, 86,87 and 30. I think you are saying above I should take power from the ACC plug on the switch and run it through the Relay which I think is on 86? Low bean ground 85? Low bean power on 30? not sure what or anything to do with 87. Attached is diagram I marked up that came with the relay. any clarity would be great.
I would ground 85 to a good chassis contact where ever close. Run low beam power (from either bulb) to 86.

With this, when ever low beams are on, you should be able to hear/feel the relay click/energize.

At this point you have contacts 30 and 87 that can drive/provide power to your dash mounted switches.

Kinda hard to go from this point with out a better understanding of your current aux light set up/control.

This is just one of many ways to accomplish this. Many others here will have others ways of doing it, and there can/is many ways to do it which aren't incorrect.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #11 of 16 Old 06-08-2017, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
huntercloss

Quote:
I would ground 85 to a good chassis contact where ever close. Run low beam power (from either bulb) to 86.

With this, when ever low beams are on, you should be able to hear/feel the relay click/energize.

At this point you have contacts 30 and 87 that can drive/provide power to your dash mounted switches.

Kinda hard to go from this point with out a better understanding of your current aux light set up/control.

This is just one of many ways to accomplish this. Many others here will have others ways of doing it, and there can/is many ways to do it which aren't incorrect.
I found a good ground, tapped into the low beam power. When I turn on the lights I hear the relay click. I took the switch power wire which is currently connected to an auxiliary power box and disconnected and ran a wire from 30 and 87. When we hit the switch with the lights on low beam it is not getting any power. I also tried on high beam incase I wired wrong and I still don't get any power. So I get power to the relay but not to the switch on dash. They are standard 3 wire jeep switches (see below)
Attached Thumbnails
switch 2.JPG  
Attached Images

post #12 of 16 Old 06-08-2017, 11:00 PM
CJRoberts8812

Quote:
Try something like this, except instead of drawing power from the shown fusebox, have the tap from your low beam lights power the switch.
Name:  Relay Wiring - Single.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  33.2 KB
post #13 of 16 Old 06-09-2017, 05:30 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

"I took the switch power wire which is currently connected to an auxiliary power box and disconnected and ran a wire from 30 and 87."

This is the wire you want to run to 87, run a seperate wire from 30 to where above wire was connected.

So terminals 87 & 30 now act as a switch. So this "new switch" is switching the power power that was running to your switches from the aux power box.

The above diagram may confuse you because of what you are trying to do.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #14 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
huntercloss

Quote:
"I took the switch power wire which is currently connected to an auxiliary power box and disconnected and ran a wire from 30 and 87."

This is the wire you want to run to 87, run a seperate wire from 30 to where above wire was connected.

So terminals 87 & 30 now act as a switch. So this "new switch" is switching the power power that was running to your switches from the aux power box.

The above diagram may confuse you because of what you are trying to do.
Took a few to wrap my head around the drawing, but worked perfect. Thank you so Much. Vehicle passed inspection.
Thank you ALL very much.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 04:58 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Took a few to wrap my head around the drawing, but worked perfect. Thank you so Much. Vehicle passed inspection.
Thank you ALL very much.
Glad to hear you got what you needed, but tell us how/what you ended up with wiring wise.

jhanna
denton county, tx

Tags
fog lights , high beams , switch , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.