2004 TJ Dana 44 Differential Total rebuild - high quality parts advice needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2004 TJ Dana 44 Differential Total rebuild - high quality parts advice needed

2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
Difflok
2004 TJ Wrangler 

2004 TJ Dana 44 Differential Total rebuild - high quality parts advice needed

I am a jeep newbie. I bought a second hand TJ a couple of months ago which came with lots of modifications which were fitted a year ago. The rear diff has overheated and the crown and pinion as well as all the spider gears and bearings and seals need to be replaced. The crown and pinion are 4.56 and were fitted a year ago. I don't know the make but want to replace the worn parts with top quality replacements to try and avoid a repeat of this problem. I would like to get all of the parts from the same supplier if possible to keep the logistics of shipping them to the middle east simpler as well as ensuring consistency of manufacturing and warranties. I have found lots of information on crown and pinions but very little on the other components i need to buy. Can anyone offer any advice as to which manufacturer provides the best quality components (C&P, gears, bearings & seals)?

I currently have a LSD fitted (type not known) and am thinking of replacing it at this stage with an aussie locker but will need to replace the carrier to an "open" type...can anyone advise what I need to be looking for when it comes to ordering the new carrier and how I make sure that all the components ordered will fit together as one unit? IE Is it possible to get all the parts from the same manufacturer to ensure that they are machined to fit together?

I also need to replace the rear propshaft (driveshaft between SYE & Diff housing) as the double cardan joint at the front is shot. I don't know the make but I want to replace it with the best quality to avoid a repeat of the problem. I don't know the make of it but have attached some photos in the hope that someone will be able to recognise the make and model and let me know.

I would like to go for off the shelf items as it would be quicker to source as my car is off the road until I get it sorted out.

All and any help will be gratefully received.

propshaft-1.jpg   propshaft-2.jpg   propshaft-3.jpg   propshaft-4.jpg   propshaft-5.jpg  

Difflok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 05:23 AM   #2
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Superior is a good source for axle parts. And yes, if you want to replace the LSD with a locker you will have to get a new carrier. I wouldn't replace the drive shaft, just get Spicer u-joints and CV assembly to rebuild the one you have. Hope that helps...

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 05:49 AM   #3
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

overheating is more common with low oil levels
Unread 11-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Difflok
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Many thanks.
Difflok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #5
jdflute
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Are you sure that the prop shaft is buggered? Don't believe every thing that Shanfari tell you.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
jdflute is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.