2004 TJ 6cyl, slow start when cold, please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2004 TJ 6cyl, slow start when cold, please help

Custom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
smlein
2004 TJ Wrangler 

2004 TJ 6cyl, slow start when cold, please help

Looking for answers, any ideas are appreciated...

My 2004 TJ Sport has trouble starting when cold. It cranks a couple of times before turning over. The slow start can be avoided if I the key to ON a couple of times before I try to start.

After running for a bit, if i don't let it sit for too long, it starts up quick, no problems. It was throwing an engine light and a P0301 code.

Per previous research and advice, I just replaced the entire fuel pump assembly module (which I'm told includes the fuel pressure regulator, which would keep the fuel from draining back to the tank causing the slow start). then disconnected the battery for a bit to reset the code.

The jeep's running smoother (so there was probably a fuel pump problem too), but the slow start issue remains.

Anyone have an idea on what it could be? O2 sensor? the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rod? spark plugs? Fuel injectors?

Thanks for the advice.

smlein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

How's the battery?
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
smlein
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Battery

The battery is good. The battery was replaced within the last year. Both it and the alternator were tested first in this process, before we moved on to the fuel pump.
Unread 10-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like it's losing fuel pressure. Does it have a valve on the fuel rail? If so, check the fuel pressure after it has been sitting to see if it leaked down.

Possible leaking injector.
Unread 10-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
smlein
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Fuel Pressure

As far as we (my mechanic and I) can tell, there's no valve on the rail to check fuel pressure. There's a (2nd?) fuel pressure regulator on the rail that may need to be replaced.

But a leaking injector... that's a new theory. Will have to keep it in mind.

Checking the pressure is likely the next step. Anyone know where (if) there's a place to hookup a fuel pressure gauge in this vehicle?

From our research so far, it looks like to check the pressure, we'll need to create a connection in the line. That kinda sucks (which is why it hasn't been done yet).
Unread 10-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well, that does suck. I know my '92 has a schrader valve test point. Not sure if the '06 has it or not.

There is not a fuel pressure regulator on the rail. It is a "fuel damper", per the FSM, used to dampen the pulsations from the injectors firing.

This may be useful: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-se....swf#toolbar=0
Unread 10-18-2011, 12:31 AM   #7
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Since you were getting the P0301 (misfire #1 cylinder), code you may well have the #1 injector leaking down & causing the hard start. The other thing is are you sure the fp module (including the regulator) was replaced? If so then I'd bet it's the injector.

The factory tool for checking the pump pressure involves opening the line going to the rail & a hose with a "T" fitting for a gauge going between the line & rail.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
smlein
2004 TJ Wrangler 

JKP - Thanks for that link! Very cool info. Very helpful.

Rubi4MyMrs - We replaced the entire FP module, so that should be clear. Thanks for the injector idea. That's two in a row... going to have to look into that.
Unread 10-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #9
smlein
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Random update: Still slow-starting, but the engine light is no longer on. /boggle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.