2004 Rubicon drives like dog crap - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2004 Rubicon drives like dog crap

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 08-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #31
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron-jeep View Post
Do you know if they make tires for stock height jeeps?
I assume you mean shocks? I don't know...

But with a 2" lift and some 31s you wouldn't look rediculous and shouldn't need to worry about tearing things up.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #32
mattlock1983
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh, and 44 lbs is on the side of the tire.

if you are going to use a "recommended" amount of air, then go by the sticker on the inside of your drivers door frame. it should recommend about 32 psi on your stock tires. i run mine at 28 psi. however, as stated previously, the "best" way to find the correct tire pressure for your tires mounted on your rig you will need to preform the chalk test.

on my MTR's it says that the max load is 3305 lbs at 65 psi, and that's per tire. you have to remember that each tire is only carrying about 1/4 the weight of the jeep. now, that's not exact, as some tires carry slightly more weight than other tires (think engine), but its pretty close. so assume about 1/4 of the weight of your jeep on each tire. lets also assume that your jeep weighs about 4000 lbs, which is slightly on the heavy side for a jeep. given these assumptions, then your tires are only supporting ~1000 lbs each. with this kind of load, you are in no way near the max load capacity for those tires. so, correspondingly, the psi of the tire should be nowhere near the max load capacity.

also, the MTR's are a load range D tire, meaning they have stiffer sidewalls than a load range C tire. that means they are going to ride rougher than a lower load range tire would at the same psi. that means you should probably run them at a slightly lower psi than you would a load range C tire in order to get the same ride quality.
~2.5" Lift, LT285 MTR's, Currie HD steering, Currie Anti-Rock, Nth Oil Pan Skid, Kilby Steering Skid, Warn HS9500, Rockcrusher Diff covers, Nth Slider rear DS skid, custom bumpers, PIAA reverse lights, Tuffy Console, Uniden PC78 elite CB, Nth TT (not installed)
mattlock1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #33
cheapass
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think Rancho still has a rebate out there right now. I got $100 back on my 9000XL's.
cheapass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #34
aaron-jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm at 30 psi now, and it is driving sooo much better. I am about to take an hour ride, I am going to air them down to 28 psi. They are load range E tires.
aaron-jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #35
aaron-jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here are left and right shots of the jeep. It seems to be lower in the front that the back. It looks like there is more space above the rear tire then the front tire in the wheel wells.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/y...o/IMG_3257.jpg

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/y...o/IMG_3254.jpg
Unread 08-12-2011, 02:56 AM   #36
mattlock1983
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron-jeep
Here are left and right shots of the jeep. It seems to be lower in the front that the back. It looks like there is more space above the rear tire then the front tire in the wheel wells.

Clickless
~2.5" Lift, LT285 MTR's, Currie HD steering, Currie Anti-Rock, Nth Oil Pan Skid, Kilby Steering Skid, Warn HS9500, Rockcrusher Diff covers, Nth Slider rear DS skid, custom bumpers, PIAA reverse lights, Tuffy Console, Uniden PC78 elite CB, Nth TT (not installed)
mattlock1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 06:12 AM   #37
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks to be normal. 55k miles on it the springs could be sagging a bit due to wear on the springs. On top every vehicle is designed for a down rake upfront this is for collisions and what not.

2 ways to fixing that would be spacers (prob 3/4") or get new springs. But I would go with the spacers unless your planning on lifting it.
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #38
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
looks normal for a Jeep with a winch on the front. the rear always sits higher than the front so when you put passengers or gear in the back you're not bottoming out constantly.

get some 1993-1998 ZJ V8 front springs out of the junkyard for $20 and put them in front. I'll bet it levels the Jeep right out.

or.....how many times have you used the winch? none? then remove it and sell it....
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #39
linexrandy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I was alway told that to check if your shocks are bad, put your hands on the hood and bounce the front end several times, then let go. It it keeps bouncing several times, shocks are shot. If it stops as soon as you let go or after a bounce they're still doing their job. Could be a myth, I don't know. Makes sense to me though.
2002 TJ Apex edition. 3" Full Traction Suspension lift. 1-1/4" body lift, 1" mml. 33 X 12.50 - 15 BFG MT. 15x8 Soft 8's. LP30 and D44 rear. 8.8 and HP 30 disco for sale.
linexrandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #40
aaron-jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

yeah, mine definitely keeps bouncing. I had the same thought.
Unread 08-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #41
jmrubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you want to keep your jeep at stock height I have a solution that worked very well for me

My jeep had a bad case of sagitus after my winch install so after looking at Moogs coil spring chart I settled on
the CC780 from Amazon for $72.
They work great, lifted the front 1" back to level and they ride better than the stock setup. These springs have a longer free length plus a higher spring rate. Give them a look
jmrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
jeep , lift , rubicon , stock suspension , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.