2004 Rubicon drives like dog crap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2004 Rubicon drives like dog crap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #16
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stwilson74 View Post
It's probably a combination of the firmer Rubicon springs with worn out shocks, worn out control arm bushings, and load range D or E tires that are over-inflated. Replace your shocks and bushings and air your tires down and it should make things drastically better... of course if your going to tear into it that much then you are already doing most of the work involved in doing a lift. As far as recommending a lift, that all depends on what you are doing. Personnaly I went with a Currie 4" on my 2005 Rubicon LJ and it rides better than stock now.
Yea that's my direction as well. That's right on the mark. I'd probably upgrade the shocks if I was in your shoes. The bushings might be worn as stated but I'd figure they're not hammered with that mileage.

05TurboS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #17
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron-jeep View Post
They are a little below the 44 lbs suggested.
Suggested by who? Bring them down to 30lbs. Problem solved. Thread closed.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #18
aaron-jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

thx, 05TurboS2K, any advice on what shocks to upgrade to?
aaron-jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #19
aaron-jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

mayroll, thx, Ill, give that a shot, but when I filled the tires in june they were obnoxiously low, like 18 lbs, and I was having the same problem. It's been getting progressively worse over about the last 18 months.

Also, if you push down on the hood, it is very easy to compress the shocks. The guy at the local goodyear svc ctr did that. (he is also a jeeper) He said the shocks are shot. To go online and find a new set.

I am considering the Rancho RS9000XL, and the OME 2" lift because it comes with springs, and is very well rated, but I am concerned about gas mileage, so I would prefer not to go to a bigger tire.

Oh, and 44 lbs is on the side of the tire.
Unread 08-10-2011, 12:51 AM   #20
freeman84
2004 TJ Wrangler 

44lbs is waaaay to much on a TJ. I run about 23-25lbs in mine on the street. As for gas milage it wont be the lift that really effects it. It will be what tire size you choose after you install the lift. I personally get around 14 mpg with my 35s....but I also have a blown cat and bad O2 sensors.
Unread 08-10-2011, 01:23 AM   #21
marcus2137
2000 TJ Wrangler 

the pressure on the side of the tire is just the MAX pressure that you CAN use if you have to for towing, etc. I leave mine about 25-28, and even that could be a little lower. Your shocks might be shot too, but i'd start with the tires.

Also, you can get OME shocks and just use them with your stock suspension. They are often reported to be one of the smoothest shocks around and they have some that will fit your stock suspension.
marcus2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 01:45 AM   #22
mattlock1983
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My jeep had exactly this same problem. The shocks were blown. Replacing the shocks drasticaly improved the ride and handling. It really doesn't matter what brand you replace them with, as anything will be an improvment over 7 year old blown shocks. However, strongly consider old man emu shocks.

As for springs, if you plan to replace them, look into progressively wound springs; manfuactures to consider include currie, AEV, and OME.

As for tires: holy shiite! 44lb, are you freakin serious?!? You drivin a semi truck, or what? Lol
If you want a good ride and even tire wear on your stock size MTR's run them in the range of 27-33 psi. Do a search on here for "chalk test" to find out how to determine the exact best pressure for your rig.
~2.5" Lift, LT285 MTR's, Currie HD steering, Currie Anti-Rock, Nth Oil Pan Skid, Kilby Steering Skid, Warn HS9500, Rockcrusher Diff covers, Nth Slider rear DS skid, custom bumpers, PIAA reverse lights, Tuffy Console, Uniden PC78 elite CB, Nth TT (not installed)
mattlock1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 05:30 AM   #23
NotURMailman
Straight up fool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am considering the Rancho RS9000XL, and the OME 2"
If you go with the OME lift spring I would go with the OME shocks. I have never heard anything but good reviews about the ride quality from people who have the OME shocks and springs.

Quote:
Oh, and 44 lbs is on the side of the tire.
That is max pressure at max load, the weight of your Jeep is no where near max load for your tires.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 05:42 AM   #24
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

post some pics of your rubi to see if its sagging.
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 05:49 AM   #25
aaron-jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well Gentlemen, As it turns out the tire pressure was over 55 lbs. I just aired the tires down to 33 lbs, and the ride is substantially better. The *bang* when I hit a pothole is almost totally gone. I really appreciate all of you advice. I was so naive to the importance of tire pressure.

I still think I might need new shocks though. She sways back and forth quite a bit after going over a lot of bumps and after grade changes like leaving a parking lot, and going onto the road.
Unread 08-10-2011, 05:52 AM   #26
aaron-jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=NotURMailman;11997751]If you go with the OME lift spring I would go with the OME shocks. I have never heard anything but good reviews about the ride quality from people who have the OME shocks and springs.

I have heard the same thing. I have been looking at the 2" lift, but it's $800, and I'm concerned about gas mileage when I switch to the next tire size up.

Do you know if they make tires for stock height jeeps?
Unread 08-10-2011, 06:51 AM   #27
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The MAX inflation is for a MAX vehicle weight. You will also notice that there is a weight for that tire as well. So the max PSI is for that MAX weight for the tire to support. Now if you figure it out there is not that much weight on the tire so there is no need for that much PSI. Most will run 24~28 PSI in each tire. I run 26PSI myself.
JBTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:18 AM   #28
jeepsus
2002 TJ Wrangler 

holy snap 55psi!!! im surprised you didn't float away!!

i run 23psi on my 35" km2's

do the chalk test (i used white paint)

mark a line across each tire and see where it's wearing, if the line does not wear to the edge of the tire, decrease pressure, if it wears all the way across the tire increase pressure until the line doesn't wear all the way to the edge, then fine tune! will take several markings to get it right

takes about an afternoon but it's good piece of mind! and once you do it, you'll always know!

http://convio.cancer.ca/goto/brandon
jeepsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:21 AM   #29
jeepsus
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I still think I might need new shocks though. She sways back and forth quite a bit after going over a lot of bumps and after grade changes like leaving a parking lot, and going onto the road.
I would look more at bushings, control arms and track bar front and rear.

http://convio.cancer.ca/goto/brandon
jeepsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #30
bluehdmc

I have a 2005 Rubicon Unlimited, I run 28psi. I don't have a winch on it though, that's some extra weight on the front springs, although a spacer could make up for that. I'd say at 55K miles you probably could use a set of shocks.
White Jeep Club #53
1999 Harley Road King
2006 BMW R1200RT
bluehdmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeep , lift , rubicon , stock suspension , suspension

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.