2004 rubicon axle lock question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2004 rubicon axle lock question

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
crimsonjeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

2004 rubicon axle lock question

Hey y'all I just bought a 2004 jeep rubicon but I am concerned about my axle lock. The switch does not light up when pushed. Tried it in 4 low and it still did not work. How can I tell if they are working correctly, and what could be wrong with it or the switch? Also, is there suppose to be a light on the dash that says my 4wd is engaged? I don't have that either! Thanks for the help

crimsonjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
VBRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

There should be lights on the dash for: front locked, rear locked, and 4wd. From the factory, the lockers will only engage in 4 low. Push the switch once, rear locker should kick in. Twice should kick in the front. There are air pumps on your crossmemeber/transmission shovel that should come on when they're supposed to be engaged. Hopefully you're just having dash light issues but it has to be asked....you're sure it's an actual Rubicon, right?

Mr. Madison, what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
VBRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
prjohnson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I remember reading a few years ago on here where a guy was sold a Rubicon where someone switched in a 30/35 in it. The buyer didn't know what he was looking for when he was buying it & was basically screwed. He found out after posting pictures of the axles. VIN & Stickers showed a Rubi. I hope that's not the case for you.
prjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
crimsonjeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ya the VIN shows that it is, I'll check the axles this afternoon. Assuming it is a rubicon, what would I need to do to solve this problem?
Unread 03-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
prjohnson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If everything is there & just not working, I'd be checking fuses & wires to the pump first. Your other problem you were saying the 4 wheel drive light isn't coming on. A light should come on, but that doesn't mean you don't have four wheel drive working. You should be able to tell if it's on by driving & turning it.
prjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
crimsonjeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Oh ya I know 4wd works just fine! I've already gone wheeling once. Haven't tested out the lockers. That is next. A friend of mine is gonna look at the electrical stuff later today, so hopefully that's all it is.
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #7
binnsmark
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonjeeper View Post
Hey y'all I just bought a 2004 jeep rubicon but I am concerned about my axle lock. The switch does not light up when pushed. Tried it in 4 low and it still did not work. How can I tell if they are working correctly, and what could be wrong with it or the switch? Also, is there suppose to be a light on the dash that says my 4wd is engaged? I don't have that either! Thanks for the help
I have an 06 rubicon. My Front locker light always flashes. However, I was in a situation with one of the front wheel off of the ground. I couldn't move forward. Flicked the switch and was able to drive out. Have your buddies look at both front wheels with your locker light flashing, let the clutch out and let em spin.
binnsmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 04:20 AM   #8
miketrock
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Like was said above, you need to bein 4-LOW and going like only a few miles an hour to engage the lockers..........
miketrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
crimsonjeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

ok, does anyone else have any thoughts? I tried what ya'll suggested, but that dang switch will not light up and they are definately not engaging, even when in 4 low. 4wd, rear, and front locker lights still do not work on dash. I checked the fuse, and all seems to be right there. What should I do?? It is definately a rubicon.
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If the 4wd light is not coming on the switch in the transfer case may be bad & if the PCM isn't getting that signal the locker won't know it is in 4 lo. Here are the switch positions & the proper resistance.

More in the FSM. Use the 2003 manual here.

See online read only FSMs here:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service
You may have to go to the bottom of the page & pick Jeep Resources & online manuals if it directs you to home page rather than the knowledge base.
t-c-switch-chart.jpg  
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.