2004 LJ 4" lift questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 75 Old 05-02-2016, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
cctroupe11

2004 LJ 4" lift questions

I'm going to be ditching the body lift that came on my 04 LJ auto soon for a 4" suspension lift. My Jeep is my daily driver and it sees light off road use at the moment so I'm not dropping over a grand for a long arm suspension lift or anything like that.

What I'm looking at is either a Rough Country or Skyjacker lift.

I'm curious with the added length of the LJ, is the supplied transfer case drop spacers necessary? I understand the TJ gets driveline vibrations at this lift height without it because of the pinion angles, but was curious is because of the lengthened drive shaft on the LJ, and thus, not as sharp of an angle on the joints, should I just leave that part off.

Also, the skyjacker includes a drop pitman arm. I've read a lot of times that it is completely unnecessary and possibly dangerous because of "bump steer". Should I just leave the stock pitman arm?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 05-02-2016, 05:02 PM
Denzien

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Stock pitman arm = yes.

LJ driveline vibes reportedly occur at a higher lift than TJ, yes. At 3.5", I have no issues. Spacers probably not necessary.

2006 LJ
2013 MINI Cooper S Convertible, Highgate Edition
2014 Honda Odyssey Touring
post #3 of 75 Old 05-02-2016, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
cctroupe11

Thank ya sir.
post #4 of 75 Old 05-02-2016, 05:59 PM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Probably want to skip the spacers altogether. Try it without, and if you get vibes, start stacking washers where the spacer would go until the vibes go away. Lots of folks can get by with 1/4" - 1/2" of spacing.
post #5 of 75 Old 05-02-2016, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
cctroupe11

Good idea! Anything to save as much ground clearance as possible!
post #6 of 75 Old 05-03-2016, 07:15 AM
TheBoogieman
You'd better be nice

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctroupe11 View Post
I'm going to be ditching the body lift that came on my 04 LJ auto soon for a 4" suspension lift. My Jeep is my daily driver and it sees light off road use at the moment so I'm not dropping over a grand for a long arm suspension lift or anything like that.

You might want to rethink those two lifts. Zone is a much better lift for the money. The RC lift comes with a drop bracket, which is needed to use their track bar. Then you need to use the drop pitman arm. Also, go with a MML instead of a t-case drop if you get any vibes.
post #7 of 75 Old 05-03-2016, 07:28 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I'm curious with the added length of the LJ, is the supplied transfer case drop spacers necessary? I understand the TJ gets driveline vibrations at this lift height without it because of the pinion angles, but was curious is because of the lengthened drive shaft on the LJ, and thus, not as sharp of an angle on the joints, should I just leave that part off.

Also, the skyjacker includes a drop pitman arm. I've read a lot of times that it is completely unnecessary and possibly dangerous because of "bump steer". Should I just leave the stock pitman arm?

How tall is your body lift? Many run a 1 -1.5" body lift, myself included. It can help with other mods down the road and allow you to clear larger tires with less susp lift. You can do a motor mount lift if necessary to reduce drive line vibes. Personally I would rather do less susp lift and a bodylift, a motor mount lift and not have to do a tcase drop. This helps reduce the chance of drive line vibes and you wont' loose the clearance you would with a tcase drop.

As far as lifts, I have been running RCs adj arms for three years now and have had no problems with them and they perform great. I have no experience with any other RC product or skyjacker.

As far as a track bar? Do not use a drop bracket, do not re-drill the hole and move your stock track bar, get an adjustable one. I have had a Currie adj track bar for over 10 years and the only thing I have had to do with it was replace a $10 bolt.

BUT if you don't want to drop over a grand than either 2" spacer above your springs and good shocks (budget boost) or a 2 " susp lift (springs) and good shocks and a 1-1.5 inch body lift with either. This will be about the only way to do it without a tcase drop. If you get vibes (doubtful with a LJ) at that height do a motor mount lift. If you have money left over save for regearing, a locker and a winch. This will allow you to run 33s. If you want to run 35s do some more research and save up more money.

01 TJ, 34 Super Swaper 34x10.5 bias, Winch, locked, belly up, some armor, 4.0, 5spd
post #8 of 75 Old 05-03-2016, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
cctroupe11

No plan currently to run 35s. I have a 3" body lift, so it's gotta go. I'd rather spend 25 bucks on grade 8 bolts than 100 on another body lift.
post #9 of 75 Old 05-03-2016, 08:40 AM
TheBoogieman
You'd better be nice

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No plan currently to run 35s. I have a 3" body lift, so it's gotta go. I'd rather spend 25 bucks on grade 8 bolts than 100 on another body lift.
Cut the pucks in half (1.5" BL) and buy new bolts at Lowe's.
post #10 of 75 Old 05-03-2016, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
cctroupe11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Quote:
Cut the pucks in half (1.5" BL) and buy new bolts at Lowe's.
I may look into the Zone lift, however I would like to eliminate the BL altogether. I don't plan on doing any further mods like a belly up kit that would need a body lift.

I live in Southeast Georgia which is pretty flat. The extent of my wheeling is usually going to the beach, driving through ****ty fields to get to my duck hunting hole and maybe the occasional trip to the mountains in north Georgia for some trail riding/rock crawling.

I had Zone products on my 14 Ram. Liked them pretty good. You would recommend it over the RC of SJ lift?
post #11 of 75 Old 05-03-2016, 12:49 PM
MOguy

Quote:
I may look into the Zone lift, however I would like to eliminate the BL altogether. I don't plan on doing any further mods like a belly up kit that would need a body lift.

I live in Southeast Georgia which is pretty flat. The extent of my wheeling is usually going to the beach, driving through ****ty fields to get to my duck hunting hole and maybe the occasional trip to the mountains in north Georgia for some trail riding/rock crawling.

I had Zone products on my 14 Ram. Liked them pretty good. You would recommend it over the RC of SJ lift?
I would go with boogiemans advice and cut your body lift. I would do as little susp lift as possible and keep as many stock components as possible.
post #12 of 75 Old 05-03-2016, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
cctroupe11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
Quote:

I would go with boogiemans advice and cut your body lift. I would do as little susp lift as possible and keep as many stock components as possible.
How come? I always though more suspension was better.
post #13 of 75 Old 05-03-2016, 02:24 PM
MOguy

Quote:
How come? I always though more suspension was better.
The higher you go the more top heavy you get. A shorter wheel base vehicle doesn't need as much lift as a larger vehicle. A body lift moves up the fenders allowing for a larger tires with out moving up the frame and driveline. This keeps the weight lower to the ground, less drive line angle to deal with but still more room for a larger tire. The rear drive shaft in your LJ is short compared to many over vehicles. Increasing that angle complicates things and adds to the expense. A body lift will allow you room to lift your motor (motor mount lift) and angle it slightly to help with drive line issues
post #14 of 75 Old 05-03-2016, 03:12 PM
DezertTJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

FWIW I have 4" currie coils with stock driveshafts and no tcase spacers. No vibes
post #15 of 75 Old 05-03-2016, 03:31 PM
danb303
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I would also look at the Zone. I have heard that RC is getting better. Have you looked at Rusty's?

You won't need the TC drop.

Remember, if you drop the track bar (with a drop mounting bracket) then you need to use a drop pitman arm.

Spend your money on the shocks. I've had good luck with Bilsteins

One last comment. Have you looked at the JK springs? I didn't look into it but I've heard they give you around 3" on a TJ/LJ.

2006 Rubicon Unlimited Auto. 35" tires, 538 gears, Speedhealer, IRO 4"lift. Xenon flares

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.