2004 California TJ idle speed fluctuates - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2004 California TJ idle speed fluctuates

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
hobigusn
2004 TJ Wrangler 

2004 California TJ idle speed fluctuates

My 2004 tj has an intermittent problem. At idle the rpm fluctuates. It will drop to 1 1/4 dot on the tach (400-450rpm I think). It will stay that low until you tap the gas. Idle speed goes to about normal rpm but flucuates by a needle width. I've been chasing this problem for awhile. I found a piece of metal (wire rope strand about 1 inch long) stuck to my crankshaft sensor. I remove it and replaced the sensor because I already bought one. Before changing Crankshaft sensor the jeep would stall in stop and go traffic. Now it doesn't stall but it doesn't have a smooth or steady idle. I've done a tune up, camshaft sensor, speed sensor, idle air controll module, map sensor, throttle postion sensor and up stream O2 sensors. Any idles?

hobigusn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

When you replace all of those items did you give the throttle body a good cleaning?I mean like taking it off the intake manifold?Check all you vacuum hoses and fittings for looseness,cracking,etc.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
hobigusn
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
When you replace all of those items did you give the throttle body a good cleaning?I mean like taking it off the intake manifold?Check all you vacuum hoses and fittings for looseness,cracking,etc.
I cleaned the throttle body really good. But idk about the vacuum hoses. Where are they and what are they attached to? I did't think fuel injection had vacuum hoses.
hobigusn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.