2004 2.4L Starter? Solenoid? Jeep won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2004 2.4L Starter? Solenoid? Jeep won't start

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.com

Unread 01-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
jongerald
2004 TJ Wrangler 

2004 2.4L Starter? Solenoid? Jeep won't start

OK, first and foremost, my jeep is a DD, and I am not a mechanic by any stretch. Please respond using layman's terms to the best of your ability!

Jeep was left outside last night in -40 F with windchill. Today would not start. Maybe I cranked too much. I smelled something "burning" under the hood, but wasn't sure what it was. I charged the battery and tried to do it again. Heard a single "click" and then the starter gives me NOTHING. Accessories turn on, so it isn't the battery. I even put charger on battery just in case. I turn key, it sounds like I hear fuel pump engage, and then nothing. I'm guessing the solenoid or starter? Maybe both?

So, I want to find the starter. Again -I'm not much of a mechanic. Looks to me that the starter is tucked up by the exhaust on driver's side. (2004 2.4L). Is that correct?

If so, how in the world do I get to it??? Jack up front end of jeep? Or do I have to remove something to get to starter? Does anyone have a diagram of the engine indicating the location of the starter for the 2004?

Thanks so much for all of your help - it is greatly appreciated!

jongerald is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.