2004 2.4L Starter? Solenoid? Jeep won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2004 2.4L Starter? Solenoid? Jeep won't start

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
jongerald
2004 TJ Wrangler 

2004 2.4L Starter? Solenoid? Jeep won't start

OK, first and foremost, my jeep is a DD, and I am not a mechanic by any stretch. Please respond using layman's terms to the best of your ability!

Jeep was left outside last night in -40 F with windchill. Today would not start. Maybe I cranked too much. I smelled something "burning" under the hood, but wasn't sure what it was. I charged the battery and tried to do it again. Heard a single "click" and then the starter gives me NOTHING. Accessories turn on, so it isn't the battery. I even put charger on battery just in case. I turn key, it sounds like I hear fuel pump engage, and then nothing. I'm guessing the solenoid or starter? Maybe both?

So, I want to find the starter. Again -I'm not much of a mechanic. Looks to me that the starter is tucked up by the exhaust on driver's side. (2004 2.4L). Is that correct?

If so, how in the world do I get to it??? Jack up front end of jeep? Or do I have to remove something to get to starter? Does anyone have a diagram of the engine indicating the location of the starter for the 2004?

Thanks so much for all of your help - it is greatly appreciated!

jongerald is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.