2003 TJ X Steering column (vibration) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2003 TJ X Steering column (vibration)

ExtremeTerrain has Daystar Wrangler Parts!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
kiton
2003 TJ Wrangler 

2003 TJ X Steering column (vibration)

Hello everybody!

Y'all have been very helpful to me before for what I am truly thankful. I have another question for you.

Jeep has stock suspension, steering stabilizer looks original (102k), and 31x9.5x15 wheels (recently checked for balance).

While driving everything looks normal and solid, except for occasional vibration - steering wheel kinda shakes a little, and I also feel sort of beating in the steering shafts down below. It stays for 5-10 minutes max and then all is normal again. I noticed it starts on a bumpy pavement or when making sharp turns.

I checked the whole line of steering shafts, joints, etc. and found a spot where the sound originates - intermediate column shaft seal (the wall b/w the interior and motor). I can feel a little play of the shaft there and the characteristic sound.

- is there a joint of two shafts in that spot? Or does a single shaft just go straight through the seal?

- Or could it be the steering stabilizer? Though, the Jeep is fine when gets into the pot-holes.

- any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

kiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
kiton
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Bump
Unread 05-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
jdunk813
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Have you checked the alignment recently? When my toe is out of spec the steering does some things you are describing. A quick adjustment to the toe in, and all is well again.
Unread 05-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
kiton
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunk813 View Post
Have you checked the alignment recently? When my toe is out of spec the steering does some things you are describing. A quick adjustment to the toe in, and all is well again.
Thank you for reply. No, I have not checked the alignment. I will do that and see if its gone.
Unread 06-23-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
kiton
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hi everybody! Checked the allignment - all is well. Still have the same"loose knocking" in the steering column. Any ideas? Bump

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.