2003 TJ - Moving fog light switch from MFS to toggle switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2003 TJ - Moving fog light switch from MFS to toggle switch

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
TJeep_1999
1997 TJ Wrangler 

2003 TJ - Moving fog light switch from MFS to toggle switch

My Multi Function Switch crapped out and now my fog lights are stuck on even when the Jeep is off. I pulled the fuse for a short term fix, but would really like to set this up with a toggle switch like they had on the earlier model TJ's. I have a strong dislike for Jeep's MFS and would rather bypass it then replace it. I like the toggle better anyway.

I saw in another post where some one re-wired thier fog lights from the MFS to a switch in the dash. They didn't give any detail though. Is there a thread out there that details how to do this? What wires to splice and where? I must be search challenged b/c I could not find anything out there... Just as good would be if some one could post that info here... Pictures would be especially helpful, but I'll take what ever help I can get. Thanks!

TJeep_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
2003RubiBlue
2003 TJ Wrangler 

When you take off the column cover you will see a lot of wires with a large grey plug. One of the wires in this plug is white with an orange tracer. Take this wire from the connector and run it to your new toggle. Then connect the other pole of the switch to any ignition switched circuit i.e 12v when the key is on, or off if you prefer your lights to work with the key off. After all its just the trigger side of the relay you have to power. Then all of your factory stuff will still work, i.e. dash indicator lights. Hope this helps.
2003RubiBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
TJeep_1999
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you! Will give it a try.
TJeep_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
VegasMatt

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Then connect the other pole of the switch to any ignition switched circuit i.e 12v when the key is on, or off if you prefer your lights to work with the key off.
Sorry, I'm pretty unskilled when it comes to electrical know-how - What wires, specifically, can I splice this end of the rocker panel to in order to have it switched or not switched? Like the radio power or something? Or could I jam a fuse and a wire into a slot on the behind the glove box panel? Any photos?

Thanks
97 TJ SE (RIP)
97 R850R (sold)
98 CBR 600F3 (sold)
VegasMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
Brew461

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMatt View Post
Sorry, I'm pretty unskilled when it comes to electrical know-how - What wires, specifically, can I splice this end of the rocker panel to in order to have it switched or not switched? Like the radio power or something? Or could I jam a fuse and a wire into a slot on the behind the glove box panel? Any photos?

Thanks
What are you trying to do matt?
Unread 11-26-2009, 12:42 AM   #6
VegasMatt

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm trying to migrate control of the factory fog lights from the MFS to a rocker panel switch. I remove the steering cover on the steering column, and the orange traced wire on the MFS goes into one prong of the rocker. The other end of the rocker connects to a switched or unswitched power source. My question is, where do I locate a source of either kind? Basically, just wondering where I can find a source of switched or unswitched power in the cab? Thanks!
97 TJ SE (RIP)
97 R850R (sold)
98 CBR 600F3 (sold)
Unread 11-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
cyberiv
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Easiest place i found is behind the radio. I have an aftermarket head unit, so i just use the switched wire on that harness for all my light switches (have like 4 all piggybacked off the same one, no issues). I would advise against using constant, as that is how i initially had my lights wired up, and on two different occasions, i had accidentally switched a pair on and not noticed, and came back to the jeep with not only a dead battery, but melted lights and covers as well. After the second time i rewired them to the ignition!
cyberiv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
VegasMatt

2008 JK Wrangler 

Cyber,

what do you think about maybe using this add-a-circuit and plugging into a switched circuit behind the glove box?
97 TJ SE (RIP)
97 R850R (sold)
98 CBR 600F3 (sold)

Last edited by VegasMatt; 11-26-2009 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: hyperlinked
Unread 12-13-2009, 12:11 AM   #9
sfcbaker
2012 JK Wrangler 

I guess the 03 had that problem.....mine just went out too, a little smoke behind the steering column.....and now it will not turn off......to the toggle switch fog lights myself.
sfcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.