Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2003 TJ - Driver door not unlocking?

948 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  CNY 
#1 ·
Hello, I just bought a Jeep TJ 3 nights ago, and the lock was working fine, left it parked locked one night and now it won't unlock? It doesn't have power locks and it's only the driver side (It's right hand drive). Can't unlock it from inside or out. Anyone have any ideas on what to try?
Thanks All!

#3 ·
Sounds like the rod clips have come off or broken. You will have to remove interior panel and check the clips at the end of the rod.

Edit, side note, if you have a soft top, it generally is not a good idea to lock your jeep. A pocket knife or any small tool can be used to destroy the soft top and gain access. It's best not to keep anything valuable inside and easy for bad guys to get in.

#4 ·
You may have to lubricate the lock linkage to get it working. My 2003 had the same issue on the same door. A word of caution, it is really tough to get the weather stripping back just right if you pull it apart. That is the weather stripping where the glass slides up and down. I tried WD-40 in the key hole and used the red tubing from above aimed at the mechanism, but I ended up with the inside panel off so I could work the linkage by hand until it worked smooth. There is some controversy on here about how to lubricate the door lock but I had WD-40 so that's what I used.

#8 ·
As you can see, pulling the door panel off is not something you want to do often. But since I did mine I've not had any trouble with it. It is worth the effort. I have a soft top so I almost never lock my Jeep anyway. Take your time with it and you will be fine. Let us know how you make out.

Reactions: CNY
#6 ·
Use some grease on the mechanism. I normally use white lithium grease for stuff like that. Just about any grease will work though.

To pull the door panel off you'll start by removing the window crank. There's a small clip that holds the handle on. There's a special too that works great but 2 flathead screwdrivers will work too. You'll have to push the door panel in to see the clip and gain access to it. Once the clip is off the handle should come off easily (be sure to be ready to catch the clip because it will likely fly off and bounce away into oblivion if you don't). Then the 2 Phillips screws holding the door strap on will have to be removed. Another screw behind the lever will have to be removed too. Then you have to pull the panel straight out from the door from the bottom. The corner closest to the body is normally easier for me. There should be around 7 or 8 clips holding the panel on. Pull firmly and quickly to release them from where they snap in (they're very easy to break so be prepared to purchase a small bag of replacement clips from an auto parts store). Once all the clips are released you can then work on lifting the panel up and off the door.

Reactions: CNY
#10 ·
If you can reach into the cab and unable to move the interior lock it is the linkage inside the door.
Quick tip for removing the window crank:
Use a microfiber towel to get just behind the crank and the plastic gromet. Take a section of cloth in each hand and work it back and forth. The metal clip holding the window crank on should pop out.

#11 ·
Here's my "fix", in pictures.

Remove the torx screws. You don't need to (or want to) remove the screw inside the plate by the interior door opener/lock.

I already had the right tools for the door-handle and clips. If you're going to work on your own vehicles, it's worth owning a set. Harbor Freight.

Pop the window handle off.

The clip that hold the handle. A screwdriver or microfiber towel will work, but the right tool is SO much better.

Then, pop the clips. Pics show the tool, and the locations of each clip. I broke part of one of them, but not enough where I wanted to go buy another one.

Peel back that plastic liner to expose the lock mech.

In the pic I show a worn plastic pin. This sort of hangs a little.

In this whole area, I sprayed the crap out of every moving part with WD-40, and kept working the lock with the key and lock on the door.

Surprisingly, things got better. But it took a bunch of cycles with locking/unlocking.

I then sprayed the whole area with a silicone spray lube, and worked things some more.

I then put it all back together. The last pic is just to point out that I found it easier to remove/replace the door panel if I slid it under that piece circled on the right.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.