2002 Wrangler gas tank skid plate bolt problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2002 Wrangler gas tank skid plate bolt problem

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
Relyks
2002 TJ Wrangler 

2002 Wrangler gas tank skid plate bolt problem

I have a 2002 Wrangler Sport with a bad fuel pump. I sprayed all the bolts with crc. The front bolts were very rusted. When trying to unbolt the front gas tank skid plate bolts in order to lower the tank, two of these bolts broke loose at the top (apparently the CRC didn't work). They just spin in place. Are these carriage bolts that sit in a seat or hex bolts and also, any suggestions at all on how to get these bolts out. Thanks!

Relyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Been a little while since I had tank down, but I thought they were carriage bolts.
Unread 08-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Relyks
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ok. Thanks. Any suggestions on how to get these bolts out?
Unread 08-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'd have to go out and look at how much room you have to work, but maybe you could cut the nuts off with a dremel. Or if you could hold the nut to keep it from spinning maybe you could drill the bolt. Once its loose the bolt comes right out over the top of the bracket. I replaced mine with new hardware when I did Savvy skid.
Unread 08-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
Relyks
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the dremel is gonna have to be the way to go. Thank you!!!

Tags
gas , tank , skid , plate , bolt

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.