2002 TJ Wrangler with 97/98 engine - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2002 TJ Wrangler with 97/98 engine

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #46
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

@Yates - it is possible that the OP's is rebodied like yours. Would that work around the PCM issue?

Red Jeep Club Member #565
My Registry Profile

WTB: UnderCover Fab No-Body Lift Skid Plate
WTB: Rokmen or Currie Control Arms
↑ PM me!

Ever had Death Wobble? Please respond to the poll here!
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #47
SFT2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
I've already covered the accessory drive difference.

I will say, the late model intake swap is a piece of cake... I have one on my rig so that a late model intake is there is not surprising to me. I am still perpelexed by the PCM though.... something weird going on there.....

All of that aside, it is very very difficult however, to get an early model motor to work in a late model truck due the accessory drive amongst other things.

My take it is a rebodied Jeep.... not a true 02. More like a crashed or theft recovery 97/98 and rebodied/rebadged to pump up the value.
I mean the mounting of the water pump. There's apparently an extra screw on the 2000. Facing the front of the motor, it's the top right corner.

I still haven't figured out if I can make a 98 block work with 2000 ignition, brackets, etc. The 98 blocks are easy to find and dirt cheap.

You're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having butt sex with a fish-squirrel.
SFT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #48
alex_c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Can you take a pic of the fuel tank skid? 2002 should have the improved one.
alex_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #49
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_j00 View Post
@Yates - it is possible that the OP's is rebodied like yours. Would that work around the PCM issue?
My truck is not rebodied, salvaged or reconstructed... it is a 98 and is titled as a 98. I simply swapped in a late model longblock during my 4.0 build up because I got a great deal on a low milage piece from a guy who was swapping a hemi. I had 95K on my original motor and it was easier to swap in the long block than rebuild what I had but thats another story.

I am running a distributor based ignition, coil and PCM on the late model block but it doen't know its a late model block...everything mounted to it other than the intake swap is stock 98 stuff.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #50
SeanCucf
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My 2002 also has the VIN stamped on the frame under the passenger seat area. This is all very interesting to me, and local.....

edit: Yours might be slightly harder to see because of the step.
SeanCucf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #51
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My truck is not rebodied, salvaged or reconstructed... it is a 98 and is titled as a 98. I simply swapped in a late model longblock during my 4.0 build up because I got a great deal on a low milage piece from a guy who was swapping a hemi. I had 95K on my original motor and it was easier to swap in the long block than rebuild what I had but thats another story.

I am running a distributor based ignition, coil and PCM on the late model block but it doen't know its a late model block...everything mounted to it other than the intake swap is stock 98 stuff.
I misread your post, sorry.
Red Jeep Club Member #565
My Registry Profile

WTB: UnderCover Fab No-Body Lift Skid Plate
WTB: Rokmen or Currie Control Arms
↑ PM me!

Ever had Death Wobble? Please respond to the poll here!
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #52
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT2 View Post
I mean the mounting of the water pump. There's apparently an extra screw on the 2000. Facing the front of the motor, it's the top right corner.

I still haven't figured out if I can make a 98 block work with 2000 ignition, brackets, etc. The 98 blocks are easy to find and dirt cheap.
You can't really get a 98 block to work, at least without alot of work, on a late model Jeep... its missing a casting for the accessory drive. As for the water pump, there is more than an extra mounting bolt... the orientation is completely different.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #53
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Engine build code info is from the Factory service manual. You can view them online at Jeep Service Manuals

You can print out relevant pages.

Select TJ/year/engine. The engine build date code is explained near the start of the section under the heading Engine-Description.

As for the VIN, can't remember where I heard that but I checked my engine and it is there, not sure if I could have made it out easily without comparing it to my VIN for reference. It is very difficult to read.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #54
SFT2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You can't really get a 98 block to work, at least without alot of work, on a late model Jeep... its missing a casting for the accessory drive. As for the water pump, there is more than an extra mounting bolt... the orientation is completely different.
That's what I figured. Oh well, I'll find a deal on the right block eventually, and if I don't I'll just stuff in a 4.3 or small block.

You're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having butt sex with a fish-squirrel.
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #55
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd like to see more pictures...betcha it doesn't pass federal emissions and i'll bet the equipment is missing...big time fine on the dealer there! Take more pictures and post um up. I'm sure there is something wrong you can stand on the dealer with. NOway it can meet 02 federal standards with a 87 engine. The ignition and camshaft are different plus many other things just to start off with.
Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #56
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

When I did my v8 swap I sold my i6 to a guy with a 2002 TJ. He had it installed and running within a couple of days. I'm not sure what he had to do to make it work, but I'm pretty sure he left all the 98 accessories on it from my jeep. I didn't sell him the computer, just the motor and accessories, so I'm pretty sure he is running it on his late model comp.
mschviuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #57
Silmar
2002 TJ Wrangler 

When checking yesterday the "history" of the Jeep, I notice 2002 Sahara has Sentry Key, full door and something else for the first year. Mine has the three options. So I guess we can assume it's a 2002 body...

I'm going to the Sheriff Department tonight to see if they can check and run the VIN or where I can have it done.

@ SeanCucf
I will recommend not buying any vehicle from an independent and specialized Jeep dealer in Tampa...
Silmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:44 PM   #58
SeanCucf
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Florida does not have emmissions.(or state income tax)
SeanCucf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #59
SFT2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmar View Post
When checking yesterday the "history" of the Jeep, I notice 2002 Sahara has Sentry Key, full door and something else for the first year. Mine has the three options. So I guess we can assume it's a 2002 body...

I'm going to the Sheriff Department tonight to see if they can check and run the VIN or where I can have it done.

@ SeanCucf
I will recommend not buying any vehicle from an independent and specialized Jeep dealer in Tampa...
IM me the VIN and I'll run it for you, at least as much as I can. I can't use the NLETS terminal at work to check it since I'm out sick for a while, but I can run it a different way and get a few bits of info for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCucf View Post
Florida does not have emmissions.(or state income tax)
That emissions equipment law is federal.

Unread 07-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #60
Silmar
2002 TJ Wrangler 

@SFT2

I'll do it as soon as I will be back home.

My Jeep, based on Carfax information was originally sold as a California vehicle. I'm wondering if, even in Florida, it had to comply only with Federal requirements or Federal and Californian one.
Silmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1997 , 1998 , 2002 , coil rail , distributor , engine swap , year

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.