2002 TJ Wrangler with 97/98 engine - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2002 TJ Wrangler with 97/98 engine

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 07-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #31
PFM
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What transmission does it have? AX15, NV3550?

PFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 05:28 AM   #32
browning
2007 KJ Liberty 

4.0L I-6 242 cu in - 2000-2006
* 190 hp @ 4,600 RPM
* 235 ft/lbs @ 3,200 RPM
* OHV
* Sequential port fuel injection
* 2 valves per cylinder
* Compression ratio = 8.80:1
* Distributor-less ignition
* Redesigned cylinder head
* Redesigned 2 piece exhaust manifold

it has to be a 97 or 98 tj sahara ...if it has sparkplug wires and distributor ...also looking at the motor it is the origional motor for that year ..i don't see a coil pack .also the door sticker, rivets on the dash are untouched but they are very easy to change ....AX-15 - 1997-1999
transmission .i still say u got ROBBED

Last edited by browning; 07-13-2010 at 05:47 AM..
browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #33
SFT2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmar View Post
So I did some research but cannot find where the VIN is stamped on the frame. I find a lot of descriptions for a CJ but nothing on the TJ. So where can I find it on the frame?
On my 2000 it's on the right side of the frame under the door.

You're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having butt sex with a fish-squirrel.
SFT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #34
Silmar
2002 TJ Wrangler 

@ browning & PFM

I do not know how to check that. I'll need to read deeper into this forum...

@ browning

I'm sure you know exactly what you are talking about but... How do I prove it in court?

I went to Galeana Jeep in Fort Myers this morning. Don't want to disclose the whole argument but:

1) They cannot provide me with the build sheet (because they are not the manufacturer)
2) They cannot check the VIN on the frame, because it's hidden and they don't know where it is (because they are not the manufacturer)
3) Checking the engine, it is "probably" not a '02 but they cannot put anything in writing because they do not want to involve the dealership into some legal battle.

Also, I receive the following from the DMV this morning:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding an engine change in your car.

The department should be informed about an engine change in a motor
vehicle only if the motor vehicle was manufactured prior to 1955. There
is nothing in Florida law that requires a motor vehicle dealer to
disclose the engine change and there is nothing you need to do to be in
compliance.

If we can be of any other assistance, please let us know.

Sincerely,

Division of Motor Vehicles

The way I see it, one way or the other, I'm screwed.
Silmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:53 AM   #35
Andy-WhiteTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT2 View Post
On my 2000 it's on the right side of the frame under the door.
It's the same on my 1998 as well. It's lightly stamped (engraved) on the outside of the frame right under the passenger door.

Just another member of:Hudson Valley 4 Wheelers, Inc. (a 501(c)(7) Not-for-Profit Corporation)
Member: NOVA (Northeast Off-road Vehicle Alliance)
Andy-WhiteTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:57 AM   #36
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You need to check to see if the VIN on the frame matches the VIN on the body.

Then you'll know if you have a 1997/8 with a 2002 body -or- a 2002 with 1997/8 engine and maybe drivetrain.

Subscribed!
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #37
highlander4x4
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_j00 View Post
You need to check to see if the VIN on the frame matches the VIN on the body.

Then you'll know if you have a 1997/8 with a 2002 body -or- a 2002 with 1997/8 engine and maybe drivetrain.

Subscribed!
That is what I was thinking as going through the thread and I surprised it took that long to mention. Also if the VIN does not match you can get a VIN decoder and see what year the motor is. Take the guesswork out of the game.
highlander4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #38
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Curious....do you have the round knobs for your climate control or do you have the 2 sliders?

By the way...have you been ripping up those curves at deals gap in the jeep?
mschviuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #39
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The steering wheel looks like the newer style (non-round piece in the middle), so I bet he has knobs.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #40
browning
2007 KJ Liberty 

Sahara - 1997-2004
* 4.0L I-6 engine
* Body colored fender flares that are 1" wider than standard TJ flares
* Body color rocker sills
* Optional Dana 44 rear axle
* 16" wheels for 2000-2004 models
* 30" tires
* Full steel doors
* Unique seats and interior trim
* Sahara decals

if it's a 2002 it should have 16"wheels ...

i should note that i live in CANADA if something like that happened to me i would go to the provincial police . they would send the TJ for inspection and in a matter of minutes i would get a readout what year the TJ is ..the police then go to the dealer and NAIL his *** on the wall ..and return my money ..

if you paid for a 2002 and got a 1998 it;s fraude ...and is punishible ...
Unread 07-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #41
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The code you could read - 903MX12 - means that the engine is a 4.0L engine with 8.8:1 compression ratio (MX) built 1999 (9) march (03) 12th (12). No way a 2002 engine.

Under the number five spark plug or thereabouts there is another flat surface on the engine. Etched there, and VERY hard to read, is the last eight digits of the vin from the Jeep it was originally fitted to.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #42
Silmar
2002 TJ Wrangler 

@ Jonny Jeep (excellent by the way)

Can you please advise where you got the information from? Can you PM the source?

Top of my head, I recall there is an XP number on the engine (I have the complete number at home). Which will make sense, since X is for '99 Jeeps.

OK, so tonight I will try to find the VIN on the frame (following above posts for the location) so we can clear it (or not) for sure.

I'll let you guys know...
Silmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 12:35 PM   #43
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

2 things... it has a late model intake manifold on it not a 97/98. You can tell the difference as the early model intake is squared off at the corners, not rounded as shown in the pictures. You also have a late model PCM... completely different in comparison to my 98 PCM.

As for the DMV... you need to find out how they classify the vehicle, ie does it have a clean title or is it a salvaged title or reconstructed title vehicle. The answer they gave you is an answer to a different question.

You are not screwed, you have been defrauded. You need a lawyer.
Robert J. yates is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #44
SFT2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

There's also a difference in the water pump. I discovered this while trying to find a block to rebuild a couple months ago (and failing utterly).

You're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having butt sex with a fish-squirrel.
SFT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #45
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT2 View Post
There's also a difference in the water pump. I discovered this while trying to find a block to rebuild a couple months ago (and failing utterly).
I've already covered the accessory drive difference.

I will say, the late model intake swap is a piece of cake... I have one on my rig so that a late model intake is there is not surprising to me. I am still perpelexed by the PCM though.... something weird going on there.....

All of that aside, it is very very difficult however, to get an early model motor to work in a late model truck due the accessory drive amongst other things.

My take it is a rebodied Jeep.... not a true 02. More like a crashed or theft recovery 97/98 and rebodied/rebadged to pump up the value.
Robert J. yates is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
1997 , 1998 , 2002 , coil rail , distributor , engine swap , year

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.