2002 TJ Wrangler with 97/98 engine - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2002 TJ Wrangler with 97/98 engine

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #16
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmar View Post
I must admit that it makes me very uncomfortable in regards of this community...
Keep in mind that "some" people come in here that don't know they're *** from a hole in the ground.
You don't seem to fit into that category.
To me, it looks like you may have a case of fraud on your hands, many states do not allow an older engine/emission system to be installed in a newer vehicle.
You can talk to DMV, but they could revoke the registration?...

Unread 07-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #17
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
To be honest, and I know it may seems coming from an a.....e as a newbie, but I'm feeling strangely about this forum.

My club members warmly recommended I submit my problem here because Jeepforum.com is one of the best resource on the web that can be find for Jeep.

I'm under the impression that first I'm judged (in a bad way) because I have been screwed by the dealer and I'm pissed off for it.

But also that I need to "prove" every bit of my assumptions that I have been screwed because I'm almost sure I have a 97/98 engine in my car instead of a '02.

I must admit that it makes me very uncomfortable in regards of this community...
I don't think it is people forcing you to prove your assumptions so much as it is people trying to make sure your assumptions are correct because this is a fairly strange situation. Swapping in the older motor would have required more work than just remove blown motor and drop in the older motor and turn the key, and its enough work that most people aren't going to deal with it when it would be much easier to just buy the correct year motor. I don't think anyone is implying you are lying or trying to insult your intelligence, I think they were just trying to make sure this was in fact the case since this issue is not one that you see every day. Don't be scared off by the forum yet, stick with us and you are going to realize what a wealth of information this place is and how much money, time, and frustration you will be able to save yourself with Jeepforum as a resource
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #18
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well..... if it is a 97/98 motor a few things come to mind. First thing I'm thinking is that your truck was stolen or wrecked and put back together after it was totaled by an insurance company.

I would be looking to your DMV to make sure you don't have a salvage or reconstructed title.
If it does in fact have a clean title, I am perplexed about the PCM..... There is no way in any state that it will pass a smog test due to the mis-orientation of the VIN to the PCM unless it was flashed. In any case.... You appear to have a strong case of dealer fraud and I would be dialing up a lawyer fast.

Last edited by Robert J. yates; 07-12-2010 at 03:12 PM..
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #19
lostone73
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Silmar, there is tons of useful knowledge here. you must remember though, there are no gaurantees of accuracy or honesty. We are enthusiasts like you, the info you obtain here is worth exactly what you paid for it. My opinions included.

With that out of the way, I dont think you have a motor swap case here, I truly think you have a TITLE swap/rebuilder job on your hands. look st your tailgate does it have a big plastic 6"X6" vent assembly behind the spare? if so its an 01 and older tailgate. correct me if im wrong folks.

Also lets collaborate and determine what year the rest of his TJ is. Tub, Mirrors, Top, Wheels, Dash Trim, Etc. are all tell tales of changes thru the years.
lostone73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #20
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Your wrong. 02 and earlier had vents at rear side of the hardtop.03 on had a vent in tailgate.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #21
LKrux
1997 TJ Wrangler 

the engine trouble is most likely the 2 upstream o2 sensors

they dial in the fuel mixture and if theyre failing they can run your engine rich causing it to "sputter"
Unread 07-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #22
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Do the 4.0 engine blocks have the VIN or some identifying number stamped on the block that the OP could reference?
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #23
Silmar
2002 TJ Wrangler 

@ Knuckelhead
The first two pictures are the "Ignition Coil" plug I was talking about previously. First the detail, second picture were it is located.

@Knuckelhead & Robet J. Yates
See below three pictures of my engine. So is it a '02 or not?
img_3810.jpg   img_3811.jpg   img_3812.jpg   img_3813.jpg   img_3814.jpg  

Silmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #24
Silmar
2002 TJ Wrangler 

@Knuckelhead & Robet J. Yates
Another picture showing some cut and repaired wires. The CPU unit (I don't know if we can see if it has been flashed or not just by looking at it). Also, I took a picture of the door sticker showing it's an '02.
I will go tomorrow to check at the DMW and let you know...

@lostone73
I attached a front and back picture to help determine the year of my car if it helps. I do not have any vent on the tailgate.

@lKrux
If it's the O2 sensors, will the problem be present all the time or only when I tried to go over 4,000 rpm. Because the engine runs perfectly fine, until I try to reach 4,000 rpm or above.

@dirt_j00
I tried to read it but couldn't. I can read 903MX1 then maybe a 2 but that's all...

Let me know if you need more details and/or pictures.

Thanks a lot to all for trying to help me!
img_3816.jpg   img_3817.jpg   img_3818.jpg   img_3822.jpg   img_3821.jpg  

Last edited by Silmar; 07-18-2010 at 04:28 PM..
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:09 PM   #25
browning
2007 KJ Liberty 

it is not a 2002 ..door stickers are very easy to change .. you got robbed ..
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #26
Jeepson33s
2003 TJ Wrangler 

^ how do you know?

On the fourth pic from the bottom...it looks like it has j/y writing on it. What is that?
Jeepson33s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #27
lostone73
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
Your wrong. 02 and earlier had vents at rear side of the hardtop.03 on had a vent in tailgate.
I expected to be wrong, just giving an example of how we could help determine what conglomeration of parts Silmar has.
lostone73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #28
Silmar
2002 TJ Wrangler 

OK, so far everybody seems to agree it's a 97/98 engine correct?

I was actually thinking about going to my Jeep dealer, tomorrow, and ask him to check the engine number and let me know if it was the original one. If not, I'm guessing they can find which year it was built correct?

I also check the VIN number on the car and it is identical on the door sticker, rivets on the dash are untouched and it match the Jeep stickers everywhere else on the car (tailgate, hood, both side of the engine compartment...) and on the documents from the dealer. Then I realize all these places are on the BODY of the car.
So I did some research but cannot find where the VIN is stamped on the frame. I find a lot of descriptions for a CJ but nothing on the TJ. So where can I find it on the frame?

Edit: I do have a question. Robert mentioned it will be a lot of work to change the engine from '02 to 97/98. What about keeping the frame, the engine and change the body? Do I have a way to check if the frame is a 97/98? I read here and there that '02 have mini CAT. How they look like?
Unread 07-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #29
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

IMO that is not the engine that came with the year of the sticker on your Jeep. Another thing to look at is the part number on the PCM. Take that number and see what it matches up to for what year?
If you go to DMV, they might revoke the registration...
Unread 07-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #30
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I read here and there that '02 have mini CAT. How they look like?
That's another point, does it have a 2 piece exhaust manifold? All 2001 and newer have that manifold with the mini cats mounted in the exhaust pipe below it...

Tags
1997 , 1998 , 2002 , coil rail , distributor , engine swap , year

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.