2002 TJ Wrangler with 97/98 engine - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2002 TJ Wrangler with 97/98 engine

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 09-04-2010, 02:47 AM   #151
Twisted_Minded

I just want to say thanks, I’m new to this form but have a couple of good buddy that are members. I live in Ft.Myers & I buy a lot of bikes, and most of the time I drive a couple hours north or west to save a grand. I recently decided to buy 2 new toys a TJ for me and a Chevy PU for wife, so I did the same thing, we took a few days off of work and headed to Tampa, looked at a few lots and private party’s, I remembered this post and well all I’ll say is Thanks for lots name. I know there 2 sides but I have no room for that type of chance. My jeeps are for therapy not headaches. Thanks again and oh found like new, unmolested 2000 TJ hard/soft top, door 46000 miles, less then 8500.00, 10 min. from home. Wife got her a nice S10 4 door 4X4 that I have to lift this weekend.

I know this don’t help OP but you just might have save me a headache

Last edited by Twisted_Minded; 09-04-2010 at 02:49 AM.. Reason: wrong reply
Twisted_Minded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #152
Silmar
2002 TJ Wrangler 

@ Twisted Minded: Glad I could help!

Good evening everybody,

I guess this is the last update I will post on this thread...

Since last time, couple of things happened.

I tried to contact the Hillsborough Sheriff Office a couple of times. But my previous contact never replied. I don't have time, the resources and the will to solve an interagency issue between two sheriff's office by myself.
So I'm giving up on this part.

You remember I contacted a lawyer in Fort Myers who stated I had a good case, but he will not represents me since it will cost me a fortune in travel expenses (Cost: $50 for using a referral service). So I contacted a lawyer in Tampa... Who told me exactly the opposite!!??!!
To summarize, I will have to give him $5,000 upfront for him to work on my case, which I quote: "I will probably not do in regard of the price of the car". He doesn't think I have a case and, since the car is working, but not really, but still working... It will probably be a battle of experts to solve the case. So basically, it will cost me $5,000 to win or to loose, I'm not even sure to win.
I was referred to the lawyer by the Tampa's Bar of Attorney for another $50.
Basically, lawyers already cost me $100 and I'm still nowhere.
So unless your best school buddy is a lawyer register in Tampa, who will work for the "cause" (because I do not think he will make more than a couple of hundred dollars out of my case) and is sure I can win...
I'm giving up on this part also.

I was advised by the first lawyer to go to a local news station and have them looking into my case.
On this part, my wife doesn't want to go that way. "We are not this kind of people", she said. Since as we say in French: "Ce que femme veut, Dieu le veut" (What women wants is God's will", I'm reluctant to put my marriage at stakes for a stupid problem with a car
So I'm giving up on this part as well.

Trying to move forward, I brought my Wrangler at the local Jeep dealer (Galeana in Fort Myers) and ask them to solve the "4,000 RPM" issue.
After it took them 3-hours to realize the engine was not stock (and after I tipped them by asking them to check the engine serial number against the VIN number), the simply told me that "My car was such a mess they will not work on it, even for an oil change, because of liability issues".
I'm happy they wouldn't work on my car anyway, since they couldn't identify which year the engine is (which I can do in less than 20 seconds) and they were still telling me it was the correct engine for my car (even if '02 engine are distributor less).
So no Jeep dealer will apparently work on my car.

Last but not least, Saturday a week ago, after I had a flat on my motorcycle, the Jeep, driven by my wife, just died on her way to pick me up (it was a bad day).
I have engine code 320 & 340. I can crank the engine, but it is not running anymore.

So basically, I have a car that I cannot sold (or for way less I paid for it). I cannot use a lawyer (without costing me an arm and a leg) and I cannot go to the press (without being in trouble with my wife .
I'm reluctant to trade the car without informing the dealer of the issue (and I need to fix the car first anyway). Because if I cannot offer myself a lawyer, a dealer can probably financially handle a lawsuit against me...

Anyway, as Twisted Minded mentioned in his previous post, we bought a Jeep to have fun with it, not to have heartaches or fill a lawsuit.

So we decided to bite the bullet and replace the current engine (the 99 one) by a '02 or newer. It will probably cost me about $3,000 (almost half the cost of a lawyer) and it will solve all my problems at once (I hope). Car will be emissions compliant, I will be able to resell it at normal value, it will work the way it should be and most importantly, I will have my peace of mind...

I understand that me giving up will upset or disappoint some of you, but sometimes if there is no way out, the only solution is to dig in deeper...

I will open another thread about the engine replacement, where you are welcome to post if you have any experience you would like to share with me.

And once again, thank you very much to all of you who tried to help me with my issues.
Silmar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #153
reelnative
1997 TJ Wrangler 

im in punta gorda and if your gonna pull that motor I would like to take it off your hands please pm me thanks
Unread 09-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #154
kgginslc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hear about the outcome, but I congratulate you on the way you are handling it.
kgginslc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2010, 04:12 AM   #155
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, I just read all 11 pages at once. What a situation.

First off, I'm sorry for your crappy situation, and like you agreed with Twisted Minded, I hope you're able to find a way to just enjoy the Jeep.
Secondly, I think you should have known ahead of time that a lawyer is going to ask for a 4 digit + number to fight your case, thats about the going rate these days.
Have you thought about calling Judge Judy? :P
Good luck!

p.s. Im jealous your Jeep even gets to 4k rpm, mine max's at about 3100
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1997 , 1998 , 2002 , coil rail , distributor , engine swap , year

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.