2002 TJ front axle u joint availability - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2002 TJ front axle u joint availability

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
burntwheels

2002 TJ front axle u joint availability

Hi Folks:

Rust of all things has conspired to grind away the seals on my front axle u joints.

The insides were barely worn at 200 k kms but they each gave way on the inside trunnions and were perfect on the outers.
Maybe this is a normal wear pattern but the seals were ground away on one trunnion and perfect on the other.

I have searched the forum and see that the Spicer 570x is the preferred replacement for most users. I hate to admit it but the vehicle is stock so its really will not get the torque stresses of big wheels.

I tried the local shops to no avail no one sells these and all claim that their strores brand is just as good. I am always suspicios of people who have to have a VIN number to look up a part for your vehicle so I came here.

Where can one purchase safely online a set of correct front axle u joints for a:

2002 Jeep TJ Sport.?
It has what appears to be the standard D30 front axle

( its odd but the darned joints were hard as heck to get out, the hardest u joints I have ever removed )

burntwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced mine a few months ago. No problem getting them out. A-Zones were Chinese. Napa was USA built so I got those and so far so good. I couldn't get Spicers locally and didn't have time to wait since the jeeps my DD.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The correct part # is 5-760x.

Do you have any drivetrain shops that are local?

You need to find the type of shop that does driveshaft work. Sometimes they are heavy duty truck shops.

If they balance driveshafts, they will carry Spicer parts and will likely have the 5-760x u-joints in stock.

I think its worth a little extra effort for the Spicer brand u-joints, even for a stock Jeep.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
burntwheels

Wow that is amazing thanks for responding so fast!

I can afford to wait as its not a daily drive anymore
especially since one axle is on my workbench.

I am also cheap which is why I am looking for a web vendor.
This used to be a great town for industrial products of all types but all industry has died out and the service people all went away.
burntwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
1unknown
2005 TJ Wrangler 

im very thrifty also, wife does not agree at times. any way my choice is spicer.
1unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
1unknown
2005 TJ Wrangler 

almost forgot. get them with grease fittings.
1unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have run the NAPA Precision ujoints for a few years with no issues.

NEAPCO joints from Advanced Auto are also ok...I think their lifetime warrantied ones with the red seal are made in the USA.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
The correct part # is 5-760x.

Do you have any drivetrain shops that are local?

You need to find the type of shop that does driveshaft work. Sometimes they are heavy duty truck shops.

If they balance driveshafts, they will carry Spicer parts and will likely have the 5-760x u-joints in stock.

I think its worth a little extra effort for the Spicer brand u-joints, even for a stock Jeep.
2 drive shaft places near me and neither carries Spicer One place said thay cant get them and the other guy said 3 days if I ordered them.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Dana Spicer has a vendor lookup on their website and it includes Canada too.

Here is the link:

Dana Spicer Parts - Locate Light Duty Parts
Unread 07-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #10
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1unknown View Post
almost forgot. get them with grease fittings.
Unless you do tons of mud regularly, I'd get the Spicer 5-760x which is triple sealed and maintenance free (non grease-able). Grease channels will create a weak point in the u-joint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
2 drive shaft places near me and neither carries Spicer One place said thay cant get them and the other guy said 3 days if I ordered them.
I ordered my 5-760x joints online for much cheaper than I could get them at my local 4x4 shop. Sometimes they have good deals on Ebay from drivetrain stores for 19 bucks a pop.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #11
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

They are on ebay right now for as cheap as $18/each plus $11.66 in shipping, so $29.66 total.

The local Fleet Pride here sells them for $24. I'm pretty sure Fleet Pride is a national chain.
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
They are on ebay right now for as cheap as $18/each plus $11.66 in shipping, so $29.66 total.

The local Fleet Pride here sells them for $24. I'm pretty sure Fleet Pride is a national chain.
Huh, maybe I'm just not looking in the right places I've never heard of Fleet Pride until you mentioned it. I did a google search and sure enough we have one not too far away from where I am. If they have the 5-760 joints for $24, I'll definitely go there next time.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:14 AM   #13
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
Unless you do tons of mud regularly, I'd get the Spicer 5-760x which is triple sealed and maintenance free (non grease-able). Grease channels will create a weak point in the u-joint.

This gets brought up all the time, but I have never seen any sort of proof on this. I have run greasable joints for 2 years while playing in the rocks on 33s (open) and 35s(locked) with no failures.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Dana , Spicer , u-joint , 5-760x

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.