2002 tj engine knock - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-07-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Wboughner

2002 tj engine knock

So I baught a 2002 tj .. I am now with purchas safty and E-test I'm a little over 6000$ in this paper weight ... When I picked it up and took it to my mechanic to do the safty and e-test it idled high which I was told by seller that it was a sensor causing the high idle but otherwise ran good ..turned out the computer was fried ..The guy I baught the jeep off is a mechanic and claims to have rebuilt the bottom end .. Now after driving it for 3 weeks I had a tick develop that is now a knock .. My mechanic says its in the bottom end ... The guy I baught it off is pulling the "as is" card and refuses to warranty the rebuild he claimed to have done .. My mechanic says for him to open up the bottom end he won't put his name on it unless he goes over everything this guy claimed to have done since he already has issues with the work he did and says it will be cheaper and smarter to replace the motor than rebuild .. So what engine and trani can I upgrade to with the least trouble .. Would any dodge engine be comparable with the computer in the jeep or will I need to swap electronics as well ... I was thinking a v6 out of a Dakota .. Just trying to wrap my head around what needs to be done ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-07-2016, 01:26 PM
98TJSE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

well no... no engine from dodge will work.. its gonna be a jeep engine since jeep is much all that has im assuming the I6 4.0L you have its a straight 6 not a v6 .. so cherokee, 4.0L grand cherokee with 4.0 .. and so on much the same.. shouldnt be hard to find down southern ontario,

but if you want to swap to a different engine it can be done but wont be cheap, require adaptors, welding new mounts prolly new driveshafts electrical and .. you get the picture.. and if using different motor/tranny/electrical, you need to get it to talk to original PCM for the dash as its all electronic.. lots of info about and painless wiring for sale around

never trust an ASIS saying has new parts without proof to back it up, i picked up my 98 TJ in st. Catherines im up in sudbury, so all ihad was pictures.. but for under 2 grand i wasnt complaining, all said and done on the road i still had under 3k invested ... and a 4 banger tj with 177k on it..
post #3 of 6 Old 02-07-2016, 02:57 PM
wadewen

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a thread. Says WJ blocks will exchange directly with a 4.0. Is that what you have?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/4...ility-1405083/
post #4 of 6 Old 02-08-2016, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Wboughner

Ya sorry I forgot to mention the engine size its a 2.5l .. Would I need adapters to upgrade to a 4l or would it be plug and play ??
post #5 of 6 Old 02-08-2016, 10:04 PM
98TJSE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

different motor and mounting locations so would have to be cut/rewilding in new place , tranny, computer wiring, tcase driveshafts....

and knocking? I drove 30k on a knock, never na issue these motors aren't very quiet even my newer half the miles then last (334000) vs 177 now still has some noise... id just drive it till it blows..
post #6 of 6 Old 02-08-2016, 10:24 PM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds more like the mechanic is taking you for a ride. How did he jump from high idle to fried computer?

Hard to say if a knock is worth worrying about. Could be a piston skirt, could be nothing, noises are common with these engines. Drop the oil pan, if you find chunks of metal than it's broken piston skirt. If it's clean then keep driving it.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.