2002 TJ Blower Motor Stopped Working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2002 TJ Blower Motor Stopped Working

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 06-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
mmdotking
2002 TJ Wrangler 

2002 TJ Blower Motor Stopped Working

On my 2002 TJ, my fan/blower stopped working all of a sudden today. No fan speed selected will work. Not, 1,2,3,4. I can hear the A/C kick in when I turn the switch on, but no blow. Could it be the blower motor resistor? The switch or motor itself? THanks.

mmdotking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
jreed80
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If no speed will work it is most likely the blower motor its self since the high speed does not run through the resistor itself there is a relay check it first and all of your fuses also to check you blower motor with out pulling it out cut the two wires going to the motor leaving enough room on both sides of the wire to splice it back together and jump one to power and one to ground ie. the battery positive and negative, a piece of speaker wire will work, the fan if good should come on in high speed, if it does you are as unlucky as me and the switch and resistor have went out at the same time. I have had every problem possible with this subject on my dodge and my jeep the person before me let water leak into the switch on my jeep and I had to replace it all on my dodge.
jreed80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
BringThaPain
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem. I ended up buying a new blower motor and it worked fine. I bench tested mine. Took it out and powered it up to a 12v and it didnt work.
BringThaPain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Read this thread and the thread I posted on post #24. Look at picture of melted connector on this thread. Did you smell anything before it went out?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=772207&page=2
Cuder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 05:58 AM   #5
mmdotking
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Great, thanks guys. Couple questions. So, on the relay, how do I check that? I'm pretty sure I checked all the fuses. They "look" good. I checked them behind the glove box and under hood.
It shouldn't be the switch, right? I'm going to try and isolate this thing and take your advice.
I'll try and take out the blower and bench test it. Is it easy to take out the blower? If I had to get a new blower where do you get it? I've searched all over, rockauto.com, etc. and all they sell is a Resistor. Crummy thing is, I only have 21k miles on this 2002 TJ. Wouldn't expect an A/C problem already.
Unread 06-19-2009, 06:07 AM   #6
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Don't pull the motor out to test it, just grab a test light and check for volteg to the power wire going to the motor. If yo have no power move backwards through the system from there. If you have power and no blow, it's almost surely the motor, but check the ground just in case before you replace it.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
mmdotking
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry for sounding too novice, but to test it, what steps should I follow? Is the test light the same as a voltage/ohm meter? Do I turn on the ignition to verify power to the motor, or is that high speed bypassing the resistor such that I just touch the hot wire? And where is the ground?
I'm novice but I can follow directions really well, so I appreciate the help.
Unread 06-19-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You can use the meter or test light. Turn it on and check the wires as close to the fan as you can. The advantage of the test light is that you can probe the wire through the insulation. Turn fan on and check for power to the motor as close to the motor as you can. If there is power, check the ground. You can check the ground in two ways. If your are using a test light, connect the clip to a known power source and probe the ground wire (again, as close to the motor as you can get), if the light lights up you have ground. If using a meter check continuity from the same spot on the wire to a known good chassis ground or the negative battery terminal. If you have power and ground right at the motor, then you need a new motor. I strongly suggest wrapping some good electrical tape around the spots on the wires where you poke the hole with the probe after you are done to prevent moisture entering and corroding the wire from the inside out. It may be a slim chance, but tape is cheap and easy to install...

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.