2002 Sahara will not crank-HELP! - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Knuckelhead
  • 1 Post By NotURMailman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-20-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
dgray2001

2002 Sahara will not crank-HELP!

I will be the first to admit that I am not a mechanic. However, I have had my "baby" since October of 2002 and know how my Jeep runs. The last few months it has felt like the gas is not getting to the engine (if that makes sense) when I go to crank it up. My 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara edition has been good to me, but the last few months has had a difficult time cranking. Sometimes, it cranks up fine, but other times, it sputters, whines, or simply does not crank.
I have done all of the following over the past three months: new battery, new starter, new crankshaft position sensor, $900 in transmission work, and a new fuel pump.
Each time, it cranks up well for a week or so, and then goes back to the same old tricks. I have taken it to two trusted mechanics here in town and even to the Jeep dealership/mechanic. No one can find anything "wrong" with it and all say the engine is running great. So, these are all things (listed above) that they have TRIED to fix the problem with (well, I replaced the battery myself, and it was time-7 years old). I just had the fuel pump replaced two weeks ago and thought that was it, as it had been running and cranking well. That is, until tonight. I went to crank it up and it sputters and then nothing. I've tried 5-7 times and it will not turn over. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Any insight or help would be much appreciated. Thank you!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-20-2017, 10:35 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Cranking = the engine rotating by the starter turning the crankshaft.
Starting = the engine crankshaft rotating when being driven by combustion in the cylinder heads...
Jerry Bransford likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-21-2017, 10:59 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Cranking = the engine rotating by the starter turning the crankshaft.
Starting = the engine crankshaft rotating when being driven by combustion in the cylinder heads...

Yes, please clarify...
Is it turning over and not starting?
Or is it not turning over?
There is a big difference and it will make a big difference in the help and/or advice you get.

Sounds like it is turning over and not starting.
Have you tried priming the fuel system by turning the key to the run position (not the start position) for 3-5 seconds and then repeating the procedure 5-6 time and then try to start it?
What brand of fuel pump was installed?
Did they replace the whole fuel sending module or just the pump?
Does it start better if it hasn't been sitting very long (like restart within five minutes after shutting it off)?
Jerry Bransford likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-22-2017, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
dgray2001

My bad-It is not cranking.
For the last two months it has been not cranking AND not starting, depending on complete randomness (as far as I can tell). Sometimes, it would not crank, or would take multiple attempts to crank (yes, it helped to prime the fuel system most of the time) and other times it would crank, but then quickly shut off if I did not have my foot supplying gas). However, since the fuel pump was replaced, it has been fine for the last two weeks. Then, when I went to crank it Thursday night, it would not crank.

A friend said it may be the starter, though I just replaced it.

Does that help? Thanks in advance!
post #5 of 6 Old 04-24-2017, 12:57 PM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgray2001 View Post
For the last two months it has been not cranking AND not starting, depending on complete randomness (as far as I can tell). Sometimes, it would not crank, or would take multiple attempts to crank (yes, it helped to prime the fuel system most of the time) and other times it would crank, but then quickly shut off if I did not have my foot supplying gas). However, since the fuel pump was replaced, it has been fine for the last two weeks. Then, when I went to crank it Thursday night, it would not crank.

I'm sorry, but this is still very confusing.

Cranking and turning over are the same thing. The starter makes the engine rotate, that is "cranking" or "turning over".

Then the engine begins to run under it's own power (using fuel and spark). That is starting.

Priming the fuel pump will not help anything if it is not cranking (or "turning over").

I'm still confused as to what is actually going on...

-

Quote:
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-24-2017, 12:58 PM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgray2001 View Post

I'm sorry, but this is still very confusing.

Cranking and turning over are the same thing. The starter makes the engine rotate, that is "cranking" or "turning over".

Then the engine begins to run under it's own power (using air/fuel mixture and spark). That is starting.

Priming the fuel pump will not help anything if it is not cranking (or "turning over").

I'm still confused as to what is actually going on...

-

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.