2002 manual transmission drain/fill - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2002 manual transmission drain/fill

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 05-27-2003, 02:46 PM   #1
canuck75

2002 manual transmission drain/fill

Hey all,

I hate to ask such a rookie question, but where are the manual transmission drain and fill plugs on my 4.0 2002 TJ? My Haynes manual is for up to the 2000 TJ and says it is on the passenger side. A mechanic friend swears it is on the passenger side, but when I look I see what I think is the drain just forward of the skid plate, and the fill halfway up on the drivers side? I did a search here too and found conflicting info, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

canuck75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2003, 03:07 PM   #2
macb

Re: 2002 manual transmission drain/fill

Quote:
Originally posted by canuck75
when I look I see what I think is the drain just forward of the skid plate, and the fill halfway up on the drivers side? I did a search here too and found conflicting info, so any help will be greatly appreciated.
On my 2kTJ the drain is driver side low and forward on the tranny and the fill is halfway back and halfway up.

I fill mine to the top of the drain hole (as recommended in the manual) and then throw in a little extra through the breather tube I installed some time back.

[url=http://www.cafepress.com/H2RT]No Bling - H2 Recovery Gear[/url]

Bob Supplee:supplee@ionet.net or (405) 799-8977
Stu Olson's great jeep resource site: [url=http://www.stu-offroad.com]www.stu-offroad.com[/url]
macb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2003, 03:19 PM   #3
Wesley

The fill plug Iam sure it is on the passenger side of the vehicle. it should be about 18-20mm bolt. they might have changed it, but the position should be the same. near the front of the skid plate u have to reach towards the rear of the vehicle a little from the front of the skid plate. the drain plug should be on the bottom of the tranny just a little forward of the skid plate. the only bolt on the bottom same size. this is a AX5 tranny

Last edited by Wesley; 05-27-2003 at 03:21 PM..
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2003, 03:26 PM   #4
Owen

My suggestion is to crawl under your jeep and look... there are two plugs and two plugs only..one is higher than the other ont he tranny this is obviously the fill hole...Be carefull when you pull it ou or you will end up with a face full of gear oil....

And only use a GL3 gear oil in your tranny...Gl5 like mobil1 will eat up your synchros
Unread 05-27-2003, 03:28 PM   #5
macb

Quote:
Originally posted by owen1832
My suggestion is to crawl under your jeep and look...
ditto - that is the best advice...if you can't tell for sure - you shouldn't be doing it by yourself...

You also should not play with scissors.

[url=http://www.cafepress.com/H2RT]No Bling - H2 Recovery Gear[/url]

Bob Supplee:supplee@ionet.net or (405) 799-8977
Stu Olson's great jeep resource site: [url=http://www.stu-offroad.com]www.stu-offroad.com[/url]
macb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2003, 03:41 PM   #6
Owen

Quote:
Originally posted by mcgawb

ditto - that is the best advice...if you can't tell for sure - you shouldn't be doing it by yourself...

You also should not play with scissors.
or least nothing but safety scissors...
Unread 05-27-2003, 07:49 PM   #7
recurve

AX15-drain plug passenger side, fill plug drivers side
AX5-drain plug bottom, fill plug passenger side
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2003, 01:08 AM   #8
canuck75

hey recurve,

thanks but I hate to ask, what is the ax15, or ax5, I think maybe tomorrow I will post a pic to clarify the situation... thanks to all for your help...
canuck75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2003, 05:10 AM   #9
GenXSlkr

Quote:
Originally posted by owen1832
My suggestion is to crawl under your jeep and look... there are two plugs and two plugs only..one is higher than the other ont he tranny this is obviously the fill hole...Be carefull when you pull it ou or you will end up with a face full of gear oil....

And only use a GL3 gear oil in your tranny...Gl5 like mobil1 will eat up your synchros

Just did mine last month on the 2002 TJ Manual Transmission the drain plug is bottom center just in front of the skid plate 17mm, fill plug is drivers side half way up. Just as owen1832 stated you donít have many choices.

Pennzoil Syncromesh is working great for me, solved N vibration, 65+mph vibration in the stick and second gear grinding.
02 TJ sport, Teraflex 3", 33X12.5, 4.0, 5spd.,D30/D44 4:56 w/rear detroit
[URL=http://joshua-orv.hostrocket.com/fc_pic80.jpg]FACE[/URL]
[URL=http://www.project-mayhem.ndo.co.uk/11-%20clever_wav.wav]Voice[/URL]
GenXSlkr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2003, 02:52 PM   #10
recurve

Quote:
Originally posted by canuck75
hey recurve,

thanks but I hate to ask, what is the ax15, or ax5, I think maybe tomorrow I will post a pic to clarify the situation... thanks to all for your help...
AX15 is the 6 cylinder tranny and the AX5 is the 4 cylinder tranny. I just reread you post and realized that you have a 2002 and not a 2000. You more than likely have a NV3550 and not an AX15. My FSM is for 1997 so I can't help you with the NV3550. With a little intuition you should be able to figure it out yourself. If it has wires coming out of it than that's your back up ligght switch. Move on to another plug.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2003, 12:06 PM   #11
TotalJeep

First, you have a NV3550 transmission and the drain and fill plug are on the drivers side of the jeep. I was going to change my fluid before but I didn't have the tool to do it with. Drain plug is the lower plug and the fill plug is the higher one. Read your service manual for the right gear oil screwing that up could be costly. Good Luck
TotalJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2003, 06:10 PM   #12
Gregg

Quote:
Originally posted by TotalJeep
First, you have a NV3550 transmission and the drain and fill plug are on the drivers side of the jeep. I was going to change my fluid before but I didn't have the tool to do it with. Drain plug is the lower plug and the fill plug is the higher one. Read your service manual for the right gear oil screwing that up could be costly. Good Luck
The NV3550 requires a 17mm hex (allen) wrench. It was somewhat difficult to find, I finally got it a a Sears store. Heed the warnings about not using a GL-5 oil. Redline makes a synthetic Manual Trans oil that is compatible with the synchros and seems to work well. I get it from Summit Racing online.

Green Jeep TJ (sort'a stock)

Mojave River Valley Desert Explorers
Cal Assoc of 4WD Clubs
Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.