2002 Blower resistor pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2002 Blower resistor pics

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
SeanCucf
2002 TJ Wrangler 

2002 Blower resistor pics

Ok. I know not all years are the same, but let me preface by saying I don't know what years are the same or which are different. But this is how it works for mine.

It's simple, and as such doesn't require a write-up, but heres a couple pics to help those along who may be intimidated.

You can see the resistor/harness and the little red lock. The red lock only slides out a little bit to allow you to push the release "lever". Needle nose and a nice steady pull work for the lock. You can also notice why unscrewing the foot light is helpful. Disconnecting the green plug and sliding it off it's mount will also give you some more slack and room to work.

NOTE: I also unscrewed the little white clips holding the wire...(one of the toward bottom middle of pic)

You can see the location of the two screws that hold the resistor the the duct in this pic.

A shot of new and old.

edit: this is under the passenger side dash

Last edited by SeanCucf; 03-27-2009 at 07:42 AM..
SeanCucf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
Igetit
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the pics man! I bought that part yesterday and am getting ready to go out to my garage and install it now. Appreciate the help!
Unread 02-15-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
nwquadriders
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I just put mine in a few minutes ago... I took some pictures too, but you've got it covered

It's so nice to have all 4 fan settings working again. Hardest part of the whole job is disconnecting the wire harness from the resistor pack.

Time for one of these
'04 Solar Yellow Wrangler Unlimited: 3.5" RE Superflex w/ RE Monotube shocks, 33x10.5 BFG MT's, Warn XD9000i winch, Jeeperman Trail Skids & Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier with 1/4 Panel Guards. Skid row engine skid.

NW Quadriders ATV Club
nwquadriders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
Igetit
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hardest part of the whole job is disconnecting the wire harness from the resistor pack.
True dat. I had to come back upstairs to read the @#!$ instructions again...
Unread 02-15-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
Scott Parr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the pics. I'm much more of a visual learner.

I've read other threads on this repair, (which I need to do, I have speeds 2 & 4). I need an oil change and was going to have them do it but I think I want to fix it myself now.

If there is ever a video library of these repairs, I'd be all over that.

Thanks!
Red Jeep Club Member #432
2000 TJ, Flame Red with Tan Interior/Soft Top
2.5L / 5-Speed / D30 / D35 / 4.10 Gears
OME 2.5" Suspension Lift - BFG AT 31 x 10.5 x 15
IPF H4 Headlights / Alpine Stereo / Infinity Speakers / Tuffy Glove Box
Scott Parr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
Igetit
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, after spending almost an hour upside down on my passenger-side floorboard, I'm about ready to seek out the guy who designed the clip on that POS plastic harness and string him up by the short & curlies. Seriously, what a PITA this simple repair has become. Think I better leave it til tomorrow or I'm gonna end up breaking the thing...I understand how the clip engages/releases, but it isn't coming apart. And I can't find a comfortable position or even a good angle to get at it. Fifty times harder than changing the spark plugs and none of the fun!
Unread 02-15-2008, 09:06 PM   #7
SeanCucf
2002 TJ Wrangler 

yeah, it's not fun. tight fit. I actually disconnected the wire harness from the resistor after I took it out of the duct. I don't know if that helps.

I too thought i was going to break the red clip but it popped loose.

A note. An extension and u-joint for your 1/4" ratchet make the top bolt easier to reach.

good luck
Unread 02-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #8
Igetit
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got it. I had to work it completely out of the duct so I could get to it from under the dash entirely. Tried disconnecting the big green one, but they attached the bottom half of mine to the wall, so that gained nothing in additional wire slack. Even with both hands available and the resistor pack finally hanging clear of everything above, it still took several tries and many four-letter words to get it loose. Glad that's over.

Fan works on all four speeds now. Nice not having to alternate between zero heat and "blow dryer" setting. Plus, a friend of mine's 98 TJ went up in flames the other day while he was driving it. Total loss, he escaped unhurt. But his resistor pack had died completely, and the flames started from that area of the dash. Could have easily been the blower motor, but they are all parts of the same system....
Unread 02-15-2008, 10:14 PM   #9
SeanCucf
2002 TJ Wrangler 

sure is super nice having more than ON and off....lol

the bottom half of the green connector is just clipped on with a slide type connector. For anyone else reading this, just disconnect the green halves and then slide the bottom half off the mounting clip.
Unread 02-18-2008, 01:01 PM   #10
Scott Parr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I need some help with this now.

I picked up the part today and want to put it in.

I took off the glove box and see the fuse panel. Is it here or is it below the dash (up underneath?)

I was assuming I would see it behind the glove box.

Where exactly do I start?

I have an oil change at the dealership tomorrow and can have them do it but I know I can do it myself.

Thanks!
Unread 02-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #11
Scott Parr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I found it based on some help and pictures from another thread...

I just replaced it and 3rd speed still doesn't work. Great.

I had the first 3 easy hex screws off and while I was looking for the 4th (hidden) hex screw, the plastic broke. Dammit!

Oh well, at least it has a new resistor that didn't fix anything.

Maybe it's the switch and the dealership can fix it. I used to work with the service and the parts manager at a different dealership in a different life. The parts manager still gives me the old employee discount and is a great guy. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Unread 02-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #12
jesah
2008 JK Wrangler 

on my 2000 the 3rd setting doesnt work either. Is there something else that could be causing this, like the switch itself?
jesah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2008, 10:35 PM   #13
Scott Parr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'll find out tomorrow at the dealership. Its either the switch it a wire not making a connection at the resistor.

I'll follow up with my solution.
Unread 02-19-2008, 06:27 PM   #14
csaw44
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you only have off and high speed , the resistor pack is gone bad. If only one of the other settings does not work it is most likely the switch. It's what happened to mine. About 25.00 for new switch
csaw44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2008, 08:20 PM   #15
Scott Parr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It turned out to be a switch on mine. I have 1st, 2nd and 4th speed. 3rd speed was inop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.