2001 wrangler bake brakes problems/questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2001 wrangler bake brakes problems/questions

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Mahanoy
2001 TJ Wrangler 

2001 wrangler bake brakes problems/questions

Hello, i recently have realized that my back brakes were not working properly when i would hit the brakes the rear would keep spinning and the front would lock up and get hot after driving and the back would stay cool. I have sanded the drum and the linings and bleeded the brakes 3 times and it has gotten a lot better but im not impressed with the rear drum brakes. When i am backing down my stone driveway the jeep slides down the whole driveway. Also when i have it jacked up and the back wheels spinning i hit the brakes and the back wheels one sometimes stops while the other keeps going or they both stop but if you turn them by hand while they are stopped they will continue to spin. Also the brakes have been adjusted until there is a slight drag on the drum. Sorry for the long post but i am concerned about what could be the problem or if it is normal. PS is there a way to make more fluid go to the rear brakes by adjusting the proportioning valve or anything? THANKS, Mahanoy

Unread 06-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
Mahanoy
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Can anybody please help me
Unread 07-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
NIB-98TJ

I am no brake expert, but the rear TJ drum brakes just kinda suck.

I think one of the reasons is the brake combo valve limits the pressure to the rear to prevent rear brake lock up in a panic stop. That is fine if you are going forward. But it sucks big time backing down a steep hill in 2wd when the front axle is unloaded and the front wheels lock up and the rear brakes don't do crap.

How much braking force can you get by just using your parking brake?

NIB
Unread 07-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahanoy View Post
Hello, i recently have realized that my back brakes were not working properly when i would hit the brakes the rear would keep spinning and the front would lock up and get hot after driving and the back would stay cool. I have sanded the drum and the linings and bleeded the brakes 3 times and it has gotten a lot better but im not impressed with the rear drum brakes. When i am backing down my stone driveway the jeep slides down the whole driveway. Also when i have it jacked up and the back wheels spinning i hit the brakes and the back wheels one sometimes stops while the other keeps going or they both stop but if you turn them by hand while they are stopped they will continue to spin. Also the brakes have been adjusted until there is a slight drag on the drum. Sorry for the long post but i am concerned about what could be the problem or if it is normal. PS is there a way to make more fluid go to the rear brakes by adjusting the proportioning valve or anything? THANKS, Mahanoy
Do a little test for me. The next time you back down the driveway, reach down and pop it into 4 hi and let us know what happens.

The reason I ask is our gravel drive is pretty steep right off the pavement and uphill to the flat parking area. My wife had a bit of a throttle control issue and was steadily moving all the gravel down to the street. When I showed her to pop it into 4 hi as soon as the front tires touched the gravel, no more tire spin moving gravel around.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.