2001 top on a 97? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2001 top on a 97?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Reply
Unread 07-09-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
buckydano
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Jackson, WY
Posts: 38
2001 top on a 97?

Will a 2001 top fit on a 97? I need to replace my top, and someone has one for sale locally. I know this has been answered before, but I can't find the thread.

buckydano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
Rocky529
Jeep
 
Rocky529's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Park City, Utah
Posts: 13,187
Yes, it will fit.
__________________
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport - 5 speed

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2006, 12:51 PM   #3
buckydano
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Jackson, WY
Posts: 38
Do I have to use the hardware from one top on the other or is it all the same?
buckydano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
buddastrat
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 510
I'm wondering if an '06 top will fit on a '98?
buddastrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #5
Rocky529
Jeep
 
Rocky529's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Park City, Utah
Posts: 13,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddastrat
I'm wondering if an '06 top will fit on a '98?
It will fit, all of the hardware is interchangeable from year to year. The only think you have to watch out for is the top itself and the windows. In 2003, the male/female ends changed location, therefore you won't be able to zip your windows in. As long as it is a COMPLETE top (soft top and windows), then you are ok. The hardware is the same from '97-'06.
__________________
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport - 5 speed

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2006, 02:39 PM   #6
Raxmar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky529
It will fit, all of the hardware is interchangeable from year to year. The only think you have to watch out for is the top itself and the windows. In 2003, the male/female ends changed location, therefore you won't be able to zip your windows in. As long as it is a COMPLETE top (soft top and windows), then you are ok. The hardware is the same from '97-'06.
The early 97 (manufactured in late 96-Jan 97) Wranglers used different hardware at the tailgate from subsequent models. I found that out after purchasing a soft top from an 00 Wrangler. There are two exterior brackets which mount to each side of the tailgate, and the retaining bracket that holds the top into the two exterior brackets is different than newer models.
Raxmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2006, 05:03 PM   #7
ncb76
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: somewhere outside of Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxmar
The early 97 (manufactured in late 96-Jan 97) Wranglers used different hardware at the tailgate from subsequent models. I found that out after purchasing a soft top from an 00 Wrangler. There are two exterior brackets which mount to each side of the tailgate, and the retaining bracket that holds the top into the two exterior brackets is different than newer models.
True. I ran into the same problem, but the old bar worked with the newer top. They both attached the same way.
__________________
"Let Freedom, Friendship, Faith thy Soul Engage,
And serve, like them, thy country and thy age."


'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2006, 07:23 PM   #8
Raxmar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb76
True. I ran into the same problem, but the old bar worked with the newer top. They both attached the same way.
I was converting from a hardtop to a soft top, so I did not have any retainer bar. The retainer bar that came with the newer top will not fit in the exterior brackets of the early 97 Wrangler. JeepWorld.com lists the early 97 retainer bar as a different part than later editions.
Raxmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2006, 12:25 AM   #9
buckydano
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Jackson, WY
Posts: 38
thanks for all the info! it was one of the first off the line so i'm guessing it has the old style retainer.
buckydano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2006, 06:33 PM   #10
buckydano
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Jackson, WY
Posts: 38
Took a look at the top - she wants $320 and there is a broken tooth in the back window zipper. Apparently the top was only on for summers, which are pretty short here, so she is going to use the hard top year round. I offered $150, and she laughed, so I left. She said "At $150, I'd be giving it away". This is the same person who was trying to sell this jeep, a 2001 Sahara with 70,000 miles, for $17,000
buckydano is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.