2001 TJ Wont Start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2001 TJ Wont Start

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
mauch1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

2001 TJ Wont Start

For the past few weeks my Jeep has been having some issues starting. When i turn the key nothing happens. I can hear a click sound in my steering column and another click that sounds like its coming from the interior fuse box or close to it. When it first happened i would try it a couple times and then my starter would go and it would start no problem. The past couple days though its started in the morning but when i go out after work it wont start. I have to get push-started.

So far ive changed some relays around to see if it was that but it didnt make a differance. I took my starter in to be tested and everything tested out ok there. Ive tried to cross the two bolts to get the starter to manually engage but it just spins and wont turn over the engine. I have yet to check the neutral start switch or the ignition switch but i was curious if anyone else has had this problem. Seems to happen mostly when its hot outside (lately its been 100 degrees here).

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

PS: my jeep has the 2.5L in it if that makes any differance.

mauch1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

You need a starter if it spins without engaging to the flywheel/flexplate.
Unread 07-20-2011, 06:20 AM   #3
mauch1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, but it only does that if i use a screw driver on the solenoid. It never happens if it actually works when i turn the key and ive never had it not engage on the flywheel when i use the key. My problem is that the majority of the time the starter wont do anything when i turn the key. All i get is one click every time i turn the key. Seems to do it mostly when its hot outside or after i have driven it. Ive tried givin it a few smacks with a tire iron but that didnt do much either lol. But the starter seems to work just fine whenever it actually decides to turn over. So im stumped. Like i said in my previous post i have yet to check the neutral start switch or the ignition switch and ive checked everything else.
Unread 07-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
mauch1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well, 4 hours of checking fuses, checking to see if i had power and chasing wires we find that the little arm that turns the ignition switch broke so its not turning my ignition switch all the way to start my engine. Anyone have any ideas as to where i can obtain one of these parts without going to the dealer? the parts store doesnt have anything and no junk yards around here have any wranglers in them. Anyone know maybe what other jeeps use this system so maybe i can find another jeep in the junk yard i can steal parts from? Any help would be great. Thanks

Here are a couple pics of the part:

Unread 07-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
merkchop
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Is it in your key lock cylinder that is broken (can't really make out the pics good on this computer). If it is Summit Racing sells the cylinder for $50. I will attach a link to it, in case it is, that shows other vehicles that use the same one.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RN...ry=Make%7cJEEP
merkchop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have been there and done this. That POS pot metal rod breaks on alot of Jeeps. You can get one off of alot of Dodges and Chryslers. I got one off a Cherokee. Here is another thread about it, and in my post in it there is a few more threads I posted about the problem.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/je...start-1228196/
Unread 07-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
mauch1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Can any of you guys tell me what the little brown colored rod in the pic is for?

Unread 07-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think the brown rod is what pushes the buzzer switch inside the ignition switch to tell you the keys are inserted when you open the doors. On some of the assemblies of different models that plastic rod is white.
Unread 07-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
mauch1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Fantastic, thanks a lot Cuder, you have been a lot of help during this whole mess
Unread 07-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
mauch1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well, finally made it to the junk yard this morning and pulled this part out of a couple of cars in a matter of 15 mins . One was a 98 Dodge Stratus and the other was a 2000 Sebring i believe.

Thanks for all the help guys, you saved me a lot of $$$!
Unread 07-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you so much mauch1 for posting this! I've been having the SAME EXACT issues for the last week. Been push starting in the late afternoons when it's hot. Took my ignition switch off and that little pot metal piece was broken the same as in your pics. Tomorrow it's off to the wrecking yards! I'm assuming I'll have to take the ign cyl out to get that thing out?

This forum is awesome, I just found it a few days ago after trouble free Jeepness for 11 years.......... "major" trouble I should say ha!

Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #12
mauch1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Good to hear it helped . But yeah i removed the ignition switch first and to remove the key switch on the other side i just used a vice grips and turned it like you would be turning it to accessory until i heard kind of a snapping and after that you can turn that key switch to any position so just turn it to the on position and push in that little push button on the bottom and it comes right out. To get the actual "ignition switch pin" there is just two tamper proof screws holding it to the steering column, same set up really as on your jeep. Needless to say i wasnt too gentle on the junk yard cars lol. But i got the piece i needed everytime
Unread 07-24-2011, 07:42 AM   #13
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauch1 View Post
Fantastic, thanks a lot Cuder, you have been a lot of help during this whole mess
That's why I'm a JF supporter. I like helping people and I can do it from my recliner.
I found this site searching why my A/C blower wouldn't work. I found all the info I needed pretty fast because Jeep people had posted their problem and fixes.
I have learned alot the last 2 years and had some good laughs reading the BS in the general section.
Unread 07-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #14
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the great info cuder and mauch1 ! I made a run to the boneyard this morning, and pulled one of those parts out of a 00 Caravan, got it home, but it was a little different, it had an extra little arm on it. I sawed the little arm off and filed it down, installed it, and woops! Let's just say, make sure the one you get looks exactly like the old one, lol. Went back to boneyard took two out of 97 and 99 Neons. Keeping a spare! Neons have the same part, the Caravan is definately different.

Everything is just fine now!

Thanks fellas!
Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2011, 09:37 PM   #15
mauch1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, i run around Ford Forums all the time and i got to thinkin, there has to be a jeep forums too and sure enough, here it is lol. But yeah, i learn a lot and throw in my 2 cents if i have anything worth sayin.

Good to hear Spaceball, i know i was pretty excited to get my jeep goin again too lol.

Tags
battery , ignition , ignition pin , solenoid , starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.