2001+ Ignition Coil Rail Upgrade... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2001+ Ignition Coil Rail Upgrade...

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #1
Unscathed
2001 TJ Wrangler 

2001+ Ignition Coil Rail Upgrade...

Does anyone know of any upgrades for the ignition coil rail on the 2001+ TJ's?

or if any company out there has something in the works for Higher Engergy?

The owner of Alljeep.com, Wayne Hartwig will work within your budget!!! He is very informative to anyone not knowing much about axle work and will meet or beat any competitor's advertised price on any specific product delivered to your door - even if he sells at cost!
Unscathed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
BASHOdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unscathed
Does anyone know of any upgrades for the ignition coil rail on the 2001+ TJ's?

or if any company out there has something in the works for Higher Engergy?
Strange I was only thinking about this a couple of days ago---I know nothing but perhaps replacing the rail with individual coil packs--maybe splitfire ?? and using the factory trigger set up--I realy dunno-- I'm guessin a good auto sparks would be the shot ---???
How much do the OE coil rails cost in the US as a point of interest ??
BASHOdi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
mobilemedic01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I too am wanting to know if there are any upgrades/mods for the coil packs.. Perhaps individual coils like on the durango/dakota's 4.7l v8? I have a 01 durango as well with that engine and thats what it runs. they are 30$ each at auto zone though.

Not sure how you would get the computer to work with this setup though..

Any thoughts on any other ideas?

Do all other wranglers with a 4.0l newer than the 2001 have the same 3 pack rail system??

Thanks for any comments...
mobilemedic01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
Ionized
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You probably are not asking for the 2.4L but if you are you can get MSD 8229 or MSD 8239. My 2003 Wrangler SE takes the 8239 (flat connector terminals)

http://www.msdignition.com/coil_blas..._8229_8239.htm
Ionized is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The rail (which is one ignition coil per every two spark plugs, so three ignition coils total) is already putting out a much hotter spark than is required to reliably ignite the fuel. Older model cars could benefit by hotter sparks and aftermarket ignitions but the current batch of TJs have, really, some pretty good ignition systems right from the factory. It has to so it can reliably pass the smog tests for no less than five years as mandated by the Feds. If I were you, I wouldn't waste my money looking for a better ignition, you'll get better returns from your money if put elsewhere.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.