2000 Wrangler TJ A/C Blower Issue - Tried everything. Please Help! - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rubi4MyMrs
  • 1 Post By Knuckelhead

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-06-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Wrangler10210

2000 Wrangler TJ A/C Blower Issue - Tried everything. Please Help!

Hello!

Thank you ahead of time for any help!

So I have the common TJ A/C problem. Blower was working on the third setting for awhile. Now, not at all. Upon reading, reading, and more reading. I tried everything.

Things I have replaced with brand new parts:

Selector switch
Resistor under dash area
Blower Motor
Entire wiring portion (includes new relay)
All fuses

Still not working.

I checked the plug to the blower motor with a test light and when clamped to ground it lights up when connected to power side.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do next? It's been a nice hot summer in FL for the past for months. Haha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-06-2017, 01:16 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you check the ground side at the motor with your test light on the battery (+) you will probably find you have lost the ground to the motor. It is grounded through the speed control circuit.

Here is a link to a troubleshooting procedure & a link with photos showing the usual suspect causing loss of all speeds.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/no.../#post28658233

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/fa...l#post30987649
post #3 of 11 Old 08-06-2017, 01:17 PM
btn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe a bad ground through the blower plug? Do you get current if you jump to the plug ground itself and not a separate ground source?

2000 TJ, 4.0L, 4" suspension lift, 35s, rear D44 and front HP30 both with ARBs. AX15, 4:1 T-case.

post #4 of 11 Old 08-07-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Wrangler10210

Hello! Thank you for the info.

So I followed the steps that you linked as best I could.

I found that i'm getting power to the blower just fine and no ground. I took the wire coming off the plug and grounded the black one. (Blower ran)

Upon checking the plug behind the speed selector, I found no sign of melting or burning. The speed selector itself is brand new.

I'm assuming that the dark green wire on the back of the plug is the ground being as when I grounded the test light and touched it to the other parts of the plug it lit up.

When I jumped those other sockets to the green wires socket the light was very very faint.

What should I do next?
Attached Thumbnails
image2.jpg   image1 (1).jpg  
post #5 of 11 Old 08-07-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Wrangler10210

Also, I just checked every other connector around it and the rest of them are grounded fine. Follow the wire down to the larger green connector behind glove box/under dash and found ground was fine there as well. So it really only seems like a bad ground to the selector plug. I just don't know where to locate it. I did find slight melting on the back of the panel though near HVAC mode switch (Pics below). Not sure if maybe that has something to do with it? (Checked 3 wire connector on side and didn't see any melting on it but it looked a little toasty on the side that connected to the actual front panel)
Attached Thumbnails
image2 (1).jpg   image1 (1).jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by Wrangler10210; 08-07-2017 at 03:12 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-07-2017, 05:07 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

That last photo of the 3 wire connector above sure looks melted & the terminal in the middle looks like it has been hot which is the common problem I noted above & is where you are losing the ground path. That is the dark green wire from the 5 wire speed switch which you noted had a weak showing on your test light which indicates high resistance. That wire connects to the black one when the mode switch is in any position except off. The black is the ground wire. It is all explained in the link I gave. The switch has been hot too (next photo up) so should probably also be replaced.
johnmd80 likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-07-2017, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Wrangler10210

Perfect! I ordered the switch and new connector that was melted. The link was very helpful, but I just wanted to clarify. Thank you! Will post result (:
post #8 of 11 Old 08-07-2017, 07:12 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Your blower motor is possibly tired and drawing too high of current?...
Ross likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-08-2017, 08:10 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Your blower motor is possibly tired and drawing too high of current?...
He stated that he already replaced the blower motor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-08-2017, 07:20 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Oops, missed that...
post #11 of 11 Old 08-08-2017, 07:36 PM
Pine_Cat

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
Make sure there is power to the blower motor, and then everything from there is through the ground side. The ground path is from the blower to the resistor (except high speed which bypasses the resistor), to the speed switch (which directs which path through the resistor), to the mode switch (which closes the ground path in all positions except off which is the only position the blower is off) to ground.

That last photo of the 3 wire connector above sure looks melted & the terminal in the middle looks like it has been hot which is the common problem I noted above & is where you are losing the ground path. That is the dark green wire from the 5 wire speed switch which you noted had a weak showing on your test light which indicates high resistance. That wire connects to the black one when the mode switch is in any position except off. The black is the ground wire. It is all explained in the link I gave. The switch has been hot too (next photo up) so should probably also be replaced.

So it looks like we really have to do the relay mod to avoid frying the speed switch

2017 JK Sahara (my "Smart" car)
2011 KK Liberty (H&R lift springs, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 32s)
2009 Kia Sorento (H&R springs, ToyTec strut spacers, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 31s)
2006 TJ budget LCG prerunner (see profile)
2006 Chevy Trailblazer (SWB-EXT lift, rear Tahoe Z71 springs, skinny 32s)
1998 Dodge Durango (SuspensionMaxx and Roadmaster lifts, rear Truetrac, skinny 32s)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.