2000 TJ nightmare!!! HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2000 TJ nightmare!!! HELP

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-29-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
hickamwrangler8
2000 TJ Wrangler 

2000 TJ nightmare!!! HELP

alright so here is where im at... i recently suffered from the cylinder head crack on my jeep. i was experiencing overheating and low oil pressure. so i bought new cylinder head, new lifters, new push rods, new rocker arms, new radiator, and a new oil pressure switch. i got everything put back together and running today and i am still experiencing oil pressure issues. im out of options. not sure what else to do and im loosing my mind trying to figure this stuff out on my own. any ideas?

hickamwrangler8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

How long was the motor run with the cracked head ? Coolant in the oil is harmful to the bearings and crankshaft.

If a mechanical oil gauge confirms low oil pressure, you can either drive it till it dies, swap in another used or new motor, or rebuild the motor you have.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yep check with a mechanical. You might have very well needed too have rebuilt the bottom end also...
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
hickamwrangler8
2000 TJ Wrangler 

well i bought a cheep mechanical oil pressure gauge and still no luck. there probably isnt a chance in hell that im going to tear the whole thing apart again. im sooo upside down with this jeep that i feel like i might have to just leave the jeep family.... idk.... im out of options
Unread 03-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

You may need to rebuild the whole engine, not just half of it. Oil pump is probably bad. No need to leave th JEEP family, this can happen with any engine. Remember don't run the engine if it's too hot.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #6
ckspeed

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yup, bottom end is either shot or the oil pump is weak, or both.

How low is it? At idle and driving, say...2500rpm?

I had a 97 w/4cyl that had nearly 0 psi at idle and maybe 10-12 at rpm and I drove it for well over a year like that. I used a heavier oil, 15w40 as I recall, and that helped some.
ckspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
and i am still experiencing oil pressure issues.
Do you have any other symptoms other than the pressure gauge saying your oil pressure is low? Knocking? Burning smell?

You don't need much pressure for your engine to continue to run just fine, but you do need some pressure (obviously). The next step at this point is to make sure your oil pump is working properly and that you have a proper oil filter in place as I've heard (and experienced) these can sometimes cause low oil pressure.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

That's why I'll never buy another 2000-2001 4.0L Jeep unless it's stamped tupy.My 2000 XJ cracked the head but didn't overheat or run bad.Coolant just vanished every couple of weeks and none was in the oil.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
hickamwrangler8
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well I'm not taking the engine apart again, I'm in the military and seldom do I get time off. I had to take a week of leave just to rebuild the top end. Ill probably take tje bottom pan off and check out the pump, if I see any issues with it ill replace it if not, ill drive her till she blows the jeeps only worth 7-8k and I've dumped well over 14k in it. I'm tired of dumping money into something that my wife doesn't even want me to have.
Unread 03-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickamwrangler8 View Post
Well I'm not taking the engine apart again, I'm in the military and seldom do I get time off. I had to take a week of leave just to rebuild the top end. Ill probably take tje bottom pan off and check out the pump, if I see any issues with it ill replace it if not, ill drive her till she blows the jeeps only worth 7-8k and I've dumped well over 14k in it. I'm tired of dumping money into something that my wife doesn't even want me to have.
Someone asked above, what is the oil pressure like at idle, and at 2500 rpms? Is it just low oil pressure or are you having other issues like coolant, poor running, burning oil?
Unread 03-31-2014, 05:30 AM   #11
finsout
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Im fairly sure your bottom end is toast. Had the exact same problem as you. Got a long block.
finsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 07:40 PM   #12
hickamwrangler8
2000 TJ Wrangler 

well when i first start it up my oil pressure is great, between 30-40psi. when she warms up its around 12psi at 2100RMPs and at idle its around 4-6psi. its not smoking, knocking or anything, just low oil pressure... i plan on dropping the pan tomorrow after work and taking the oil pump out and seeing how it looks. when i rebuilt the top end there was quite a bit of sludge so im assuming that as it was ok in the beggining and just got lower and lower as time went on im thinking/hope that there is just sludge in the pump so im going to take a look at it and ill let you guys know what i find out after tomorrow.... wish me luck
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #13
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck....hoping it just the pump.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.