2000 TJ heating problem. No blower fan. - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2000 TJ heating problem. No blower fan.

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 12-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #46
carrot1

If you can ground the ground side of your motor to the battery and all speeds work, then it has to be the relay just behind the glove box near blower housing itself. This relay is activated when you turn on the ignition switch and turns off when you turn off the switch. It should just plug in to a plug and be anchored to the blower plenum on the passenger side. TLC

carrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #47
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot1 View Post
If you can ground the ground side of your motor to the battery and all speeds work, then it has to be the relay just behind the glove box near blower housing itself. This relay is activated when you turn on the ignition switch and turns off when you turn off the switch. It should just plug in to a plug and be anchored to the blower plenum on the passenger side. TLC
If you apply a ground to the blower motor and the motor runs, the blower motor relay is good.

Applying a ground to the blower motor bypasses all of the HVAC panel motor speed control function and the blower motor will run on high speed...
Unread 12-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #48
carrot1

If the Jeep is a 2000 wrangler the blower is isolated from ground with a 2 prong power plug. The ignition switch on that year Jeep activates the relay which supplies the ground to the motor. All the motor speed controls are on the hot side of the battery on that year model...............THanks..............TLC
Unread 12-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #49
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot1 View Post
The ignition switch on that year Jeep activates the relay which supplies the ground to the motor. All the motor speed controls are on the hot side of the battery on that year model...............THanks..............TLC
The blower motor relay supplies 12 vdc to the blower motor from the Power Distribution Center (Fuse 1, 40 amp).
The HVAC panel supplies the ground return. All fan motor speeds are controlled through the HVAC panel.
This is per the OEM FSM for the 2000 TJ, page 8W-42-3...
Unread 12-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #50
carrot1

I must be getting old and senile.

You may be right knucklehead, it has been such a long time since I repaired mine. I sure thought the HVAC Mode switch supplied 12 plus to the fan switch and the relay brought down the ground. I am living in our vacation home right now and my service manual is at our big house so I can't be sure. I know I bought 2 switches for mine and they both melted so I replaced the fan motor with an aftermarket one and have had no trouble since. I also installed an auxiliary heater in the back seat and that sure makes a lot of difference! ....................TLC
Unread 12-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #51
capartee
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So I am new to Jeeps getting a 99 TJ about a month ago. Just wanted to join the club with this climate control melted wire issue. Not only was my switch burned up the last person that fixed it did a real hack job on all the wiring under the dash. Looks like I have some work to do trying to correct the hack job. Yeah!!!
capartee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #52
capartee
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So I am trying to figure out what the last owner did. I have attached some diagrams to show how he had it setup. Can anyone tell me if this is correct and just hacked up or do I need to learn how to read schematics and electrical? Any help would be great. I am hoping to just clean up the work by soldiering and using shrink tube but anyone be honest.

capartee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 06:45 AM   #53
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

OH OH! Another hijacking

Yep, here comes another hijacking of the thread. I have read every post, and I have learned alot, but haven't seen a problem quite like I am having on my 05 Rubicon. My heater blower works most of the time, and on all speeds. Even last night, I came home from installing my rock rails, and I had the heat on full blast. This morning though, no blower. The heat is coming through on its own, but no blower on any speed. I get to work and decide to grab my owners manual out of the glove box to review during the day. When I slap the glove box shut, the blower comes to life. Tried the glove box several times, and while the results were not always the same, it seems as though I might have a loose connection behind the glove box. Fuses? Any thoughts? At least I have a chance of getting my blower to work again if this happens again, but I would sure like to get it fixed properly.
KevKaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #54
Callan88
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Did a solution to the problem ever surface? Currently our 2000 Wrangler TJ has a dead blower motor. We have checked the fuses, replaced the blower switch, replaced the relay, and replaced the resistor. We pulled the blower motor and bench tested it on a 12V battery, it ran fine and drew 11.3 amps. The plug checks out fine on both poles, but plug the blower motor in to it and nothing happens. The AC is likewise dead, the clutch fuse is fine but nothing happens when switched to AC. Anybody have any ideas?
Callan88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #55
Callan88
2000 TJ Wrangler 

DON'T DISCOUNT THE POSSIBILITY THAT IT'S THE HVAC FUNCTION SWITCH!!! Sorry for yelling, but my son and I have been fighting this battle for three weeks and we're pretty happy right now. We replaced the blower switch, the resistor, the relay, the blower motor and checked the fuses about ten times. Then, on a tip from another forum member we looked at the HVAC Function Switch (sometimes called the Climate Control Switch, it's the one on the far right). This switch and the connector were a melted mess. Cleaned up the connections and the blower motor started working again on all speeds, new switch on the way. It's a surprisingly cheap part; $15 to $20.
Callan88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #56
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I took the glove box out and pressed on the fuses, and my problem went away and has not come back. It's been a couple months with no problems. So obviously, my problem was not in the same league as the issues being discussed in this thread. Good luck to everyone else.

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]RED JEEP CLUB # 621[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
It's not much, but check out my build thread;
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kevkaoss-05-red-rubicon-build-thread-1170741/[/url]
[QUOTE=krashnpa;12397572] I know kev was riding his tank skid and belly pretty good on some of the blacks up at RC, but he doesn't back down from the line either.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=squazz;13612008]so I use my original nuts?[/QUOTE]

You should, in no way, take any of this personally. It's just business. So to recap, I come in peace, I mean you no harm, and you all will die. Gallaxhar out.
KevKaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.