2000 TJ AC Condenser - removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2000 TJ AC Condenser - removal

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 09-13-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
00YellowSub

2000 TJ AC Condenser - removal

So I have been working on getting my AC running for the past couple of weeks (In between work and the baby). I replaced the compressor, drier and low pressure line (Orfice tube as well). When I got the system pressurized the compressor got the system up to 450 - 500 psi. (No leaks, that's good) That's one hell of a compressor, but definitely too high for an AC system. Talking to the AC guy that hooked me up, we decided it was my condenser that was causing the pressure issue and it needed to be tested / replaced. Not a problem, I can do that.

I bought the new condenser, and proceeded to remove the old one only to find that it is held in by 4 bolts with some weird rubber and metal nut on the other end. Looks like some type of nut covered in rubber.

Has anyone had any experience with this, how do I get the bolts out so I can install the new condenser and get this AC running for my little boy. (It's hot in So. Fla.)

Any help would be appreciated.

00YellowSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
hemmer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i cant help ya here cause i havent even looked at my jeeps condenser and its dark out. but just wondering what refridgerant did you choose to use?
hemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2007, 08:58 PM   #3
00YellowSub

Refridgerant

R134 - Whatever the AC guy uses, comes in a light green canister.
Unread 09-13-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
hemmer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

alright ya thats the new stuff thats not harmful to the ozone. i was just wondering cause a lot of people are puttin the r12 back in these days if they can find it.
hemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2007, 10:43 PM   #5
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You have to remove the radiator, evacuate the a/c system, and then you can unbolt the condenser.

Don't add R12 to a R-134a system.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2007, 11:32 PM   #6
00YellowSub

Removal

The AC has been discharged for a while, I replaced the Compressor, Drier and Lower Pressure line.

I removed the radiator, but the bolts on the condenser will not unscrew. They turn and turn, and turn,.. they have a rubber feel when they turn. If you look through the grill you will see just that, rubber.
Unread 07-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
helzerr
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but has anyone figured this out?

I'm now facing the same exact issue - the topmost two condenser mounting bolts just "spin" while rotating the rubber mounts they're bolted into. If I had an air-powered impact tool, I might be able to blast them out, but I only have hand tools available here...
helzerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by helzerr
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but has anyone figured this out?

I'm now facing the same exact issue - the topmost two condenser mounting bolts just "spin" while rotating the rubber mounts they're bolted into. If I had an air-powered impact tool, I might be able to blast them out, but I only have hand tools available here...
Mine were a major pain. Had to grip them from below through the grill holes with needle noses and channel locks on the rubber side. They were tough to get apart for sure. The rubber nut end was barely identifiable when I finally twisted the bolts out of them from grabbing with the pliers. Good luck.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
helzerr
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I finally got mine out, but destroyed the rubber in the process. Does anyone have a part number for replacements? I've looked on some of the part diagrams, but this part is not shown :-/

*EDIT* I believe they're J4003120, also Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-20...3998/202210206

Last edited by helzerr; 07-08-2013 at 08:54 PM..
helzerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ace hardware had two types, I ended up going with the ones that had a rubber flange, looked like a fat "T" if that makes sense. The rubber OD is smaller than the mounting holes so you can pre-thread them onto the screws and pop into place. I might be off on that though, just how I imagined they would have gone in before tightening.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 04:53 AM   #11
wesboy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I used these on my 97 -
https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Pr...ode=PAS1095-25

1/4"-20 for 1/2" hole
- they were perfect.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.