2000 TJ 6 cyl will not start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2000 TJ 6 cyl will not start

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 09-28-2009, 07:47 AM   #1
Crispy8743

2000 TJ 6 cyl will not start

My TJ will turn over just fine but not start, nor will instrument panel radio etc show any power. TJ is stock except for electric windows (installed by previous owner but they are really nice!!!!). The instrument panel problem was already there and I was checking into how to fix it (pressing on key would usually power up the instrument panel again) when the Jeep quit starting. I was able to start it once and there was a loud hissing sound near the power steering, so I tuned the engine off. Now it will turn over just fine but no hint at starting. Suspect either a fuel problem or sensor.
Guess the order would be to replace the ignition switch to solve all the problems, then maybe I can check for any codes. From all the posts I have read on start/no start and where to dump a Jeep in the ocean, seems the next culprit might be the crankshaft position sensor...wherever that is! I know what it is but have not seen it yet. Bet its down under and I spend little time down there so far.

I have had the distinct pleasure of driving this toy without any issues so far. Only 55k miles and those are fun miles...no work miles on my TJ. My Grand Cherokee also has starting giving me fits....so maybe its my time to start fixing Jeeps instead of riding in my spare time. Have waited all year for October when I usually head to the mountains with the TJ...oops...getting off subject.

Any ideas? Am I heading in the right direction? Anyone know the code for the position sensor and will the TJ show the code without needing to start?

Crispy8743 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Camilo98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

For one you should replace your ignition switch, but thats probably not your starting problem. CKP snesor (crank sensor) is common on these vehicles I already had one fail but I was prepared with a spare one.
So first of I know it sounds stupid and please dont be offended but make sure you got enough fuel ( I work at a shop and had plenty of 'no starts' b/c it had no gas..
Check for spark, if you got it then check to see if you have fuel pressure ( on the 4.0L there is a small fitting close to the second fuel injector, after cranking for a few seconds just with caution and safety glasses depress that lil fitting, your just releasing the fuel pressure so you should get some fuel spray out of there. If there is no pressure there and you have no spark start suspecting the CKP sensor
Camilo98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
Crispy8743

No offense taken....as I have seen the commercial on tv where the computer was not plugged in and consumer was irate at customer service Fuel tank is nearly full.

I had found the schrader valve and started to check but since the electrical system is still active, and if the Jeep catches fire, I loose the whole house. If I disconnect the battery I loose any codes that are stored (I think) so will need to get the reader first.

Since I had problems with the switch, thought there might be a generic problem where nothing involved with the switch would work.
Thanks, will check the spark and fuel pressure, but have the fire extingusher handy. I did find a crankcase breather hose (think that is what it is) disconnected but reconnecting did not solve starting problem.

I think I had read a post that commented that the switch can be removed and contacts can be cleaned, but not sure now that I did not dream that fix. In desperation I did spray contact cleaner into the key hole thinking the lock was gunked up...had read something about lock cleaning also , a shot in the dark.
Unread 09-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
Crispy8743

Continuing saga...

Checked the fuel pressure twice. Cranked engine, and had pressure which caused a spurt from valve each time tested, after cranking. Did not check while cranking since I'm the only one here.
Did not check fire since I must remove the cover to do this, unless there is some way that I am missing? With my luck there would be a special gasket necessary to reinstall the cover

Anyone know of a reliable, cheap source for a new ignition switch?

And to go one more step first, where would the pinout be shown for the contacts in the switch. I could perhaps remove the assembly, then connect a separate on/off manual switch to the ignition contacts. I assume there are contacts for the starter which works, and separate contacts for the stay-on ignition. This could confirm the switch is bad before replacing it.

H-e-l-p?
Unread 10-09-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Crispy8743

Replaced switch and everything works fine now. Jeep starts and runs perfect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.