2000 Throttle Body Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2000 Throttle Body Question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-01-2002, 07:27 PM   #1
TJ LUVER

2000 Throttle Body Question

Hey fellas, i have heard that in the 2001 tJ it has a higher plenum thus a throttle body spacer would make no difference. What about the 2000 TJ?? Would it be beneficial to run a spacer with my homemade intake and K&N cone filter? I am running 31's now and any extra power would be of help when i am on the highway tackling a hill. Thanks Guys!!

Unread 03-01-2002, 10:29 PM   #2
RMeak
1955 CJ5 

I have been working with this question for some time...how do we get more power from the 2.5L. Well first off I run 33's on sthe stock 4.10's, 4" of suspension and a 1" body lift and can honestly say that a toaster is more areodynamic than my rig. The engine has a free flow air intake and a throttle body spacer and recently added Jet Stage II performance Module. I can cruise around town on the highways at 75 mph and I get about 17 city and 20 on the highway...And I will be the first to admit....it ain't gonna get any better. I have yet to run up in our little hills(Rocky Mountains) since adding the chip but I can say that it has given me some us of 5th gear back and improved my mileage some. If you want to get the stock power back my first suggestion would be to regear...but if you want more power then get a bigger engine, though I have heard that a 97+ 4.0L throttle body is worth the upgrade. Good luck and let the 4-bangers live
Unread 03-02-2002, 01:25 AM   #3
mikeyhaken

I have a 97 TJ 2.5L, would the throttle body spacer be worth it for me? I think you mentioned upgrading to a 4.0L throttle body. How much would that cost, easiest place to find one, and how difficult to install. I believe on the 2.5L the AX-5 has 3.73 gears, but I could be talking out of my arss. Then the diffs have 4.10 gears right? I am kind of ignorant on the subject, but when you regear, what do you actually change out. And how much does it cost? Any info would be great.
Unread 03-02-2002, 11:11 AM   #4
RMeak
1955 CJ5 

Mikey...first I would have to ask if you have an auto tranny, if so you may have 3.73 gear ratio...but if you have a manual tranny than I am positive that it is 4.10. Second, A Throttle body spacer will help you for sure. You see by raising the plenum on the manifold it allows the air and fuel to mix more thoroughly before getting to the combustion chamber...hence better fuel economy and crisper throttle and power in the lower range(1-3 gears). I paid about $70 for my Poweraid spacer and in the first month of driving about 250 miles a week to work I saved about about 5 bucks a week in gas...so it paided for itself in about a month and ahalf...a no brainer. also in the later years, I believe in 2000+ Jeep vehicles, Jeep figured this trick out and started milling their manifolds with the taller plenum, not really requiring the spacer. With looking at your sig...K&N and magna flow exhuast...I would start looking for a TB Spacer as soon as you finish reading this post...the 2.5 will apreciate it third as for the 4.0L throttle body...well you can get one from www.Rock-it.com for about 400 bucks or you can hit the parts yards, classifieds, engine shops ect. and probally find one for less than 100 bucks. There is a 4 banger United web site that I would highly recommend because these guys live and breath this stuff but I am not sure of the web address, try a search...Well good luck
Unread 03-02-2002, 11:25 AM   #5
RMeak
1955 CJ5 

I didn't catch it...AX-5 of course you have a manual...4.10's unless they did something different in '97. When you regear you change out your ring and pinion, a task that can not be performed by most, the lack of tools or experience or both. A shop will charge about 500-700 per axle, both must be done. When choosing the gears you need and want you need to consider two things...tire size and engine RPM's. See I have 33's and would like to cruise in 4th gear at around 3000 rpms at about 65 mph. By using that thought if I was in 5th gear, going lets say 70-75 mph my rpms should be around 2500, this would give that passing power that we all want when dropping to 4th gear...hence my rig needs a 4.56 gear ratio to achieve this...check out www.ring-pinion.com they should explain it better. If you really want to be sure about your stock gears check on your rear axle by the punkin, the ratio should be stamped on it or a tag, But I am almost sure it is 4.10, the 4.0 with a AX-15 came with a 3.73 ratio.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.