-2000+ rpm idle problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > -2000+ rpm idle problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
jeeper01ca
2000 TJ Wrangler 

-2000+ rpm idle problem

Hi,
My TJ 2000 Sahara is driving me crazy with one problem, high idle and it is affecting my gas milage really badly. The worst part of this that there is no error codes or check engine sign.

1-I have cleaned my throttle body and IAC twice so far and replaced the gaskets.

2- Changed the O2 sensor #1, as I had a code error.

3- Changed my serpentine belt as I had a noise coming from the pulleys.

4- Changed the battery as it started to be weak and on Monday morning it wouldn't start in the morning. It took two hours from the time I removed the bad one to the time I put the new one back in.
That bad battery it was bought in February, 2013, meaning it served about 9 months.

5- I SEA FOAM'ed my fuel this past Friday.

I'm planning on rebuilding my alternator, maybe the pulley needs to be replaced, also I'm inspecting my vacuum lines, but I haven't found a thing yet.

I should also mention that when I shut-off the engine, it shakes and it takes more time that it would normally take.

My spark plugs are a year old and I changed my crankshaft sensor about six months ago.

What are your suggestions?

**update**
Just took the jeep back from work, as I started it, it started with the same problem, I shut-it off and back on and it idled within normal range, I drove it and as I came to the first red traffic light, it was revving at 2000 and throughout my way, I stopped for gas and when I was done, it started normal and then went up as before.

In brief, if it doesn't idle high at start up, it does it as I go along.

Unread 11-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

vacuum problems is h]what it sounds like
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #3
jeeper01ca
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'll trace those vacuum lines for leaks, after referring to the FSM.
I'll report back

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 11-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
TJSIDNEY
1996 XJ Cherokee 

intake/exhaust bolts .. make sure they are tight
Unread 11-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #5
OMRebel
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the vacuum issue i just fixed. The vacuum line that affects idle speed also has Cruise and dashboard air flow on it. I traced the issue down to the section between the T at the firewall and the connection at the vacuum reservoir (under battery tray). Since the part from Morris 4x4 was so cheap, I just replaced the entire harness. 30 min job tops...

Vacuum Harness (Morris 4x4)

Out of curiosity, when you throw the Jeep in Neutral does it stop the revving? Also, turn your dash air on the "recycle" selection then go for a drive. Does it still do it?
OMRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
jeeper01ca
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't have the chance to check for vacuum leaks, it has been really cold lately -18C.
When I have noticed in the past three days that my engine revs smoother after each fill-up, which makes me think that the sea foam is cleaning my injectors and as my tank gets empty, it starts revving back to 2000.

My TJ is a 2000, so the A/C was an option and I didn't take it, thus it doesn't have a recycled air option.

All the ideas you guys gave me are valid, just it is hard when one got no garage and it is my daily driver, cold weather isn't helping and getting darker as I leave work, doesn't give me enough time to get started.

Unread 11-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
Jeepsr4me

tank and injectors are not going to have anything to do with the higher RPMs. You got a vacuum leak. Get a can of carb cleaner one with the spray noozle, crank jeep up, and go to spraying around every line and hose. When you here the engine change RPM ANY look there. But dont just stop in one spot unless its obvious. Brake booster lines and brake boosters cause these issues also.
Get someone with good hearing and see if they can help you find the hissing noise.
Unread 11-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
jsnole

Mine is doing the same thing, taking it in tomorrrow. i will report back.
jsnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Jeepsr4me

High idle is one of the easiest to fix. Not like a stumble or no start. Something is leaking air or holding the throttle open some.
Unread 11-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
jeeper01ca
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I like the idea of the carb cleaner.

Unread 12-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
jeeper01ca
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I double checked my vacuum lines and didn't find anything and didn't hear any hissings. Scratching my head.

Unread 12-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It may not be a line, it could be where the intake is bolted to the head. Do the carb cleaner thing.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
jeeper01ca
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Vacuum is ok, but I just found out that my cam shaft sensor is going, so I hope with that changed, no more problems for this winter

Unread 12-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've had a high idle a few times lately too... I was thinking it was probably a sensor, but I did notice recently that my manifold is cracked

I'm wondering if that might have something to do with my heater only blowing through defrost too.
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #15
jeeper01ca
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just ordered a camshaft sensor and it will arrive tomorrow, if I get lucky to do it in this cold, I will report back and I'll try to have a write-up.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.