2000 Pops Out of First - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2000 Pops Out of First

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
philmo418

2000 Pops Out of First

I have searched the forums and found that this is a common issue with the 2000 Wrangler, but what I do not see in these threads is much in the way of advice on how to fix the issue and if there is any damage being done when it pops. When it pops out sometimes it just slips out of first and other times it THUDS out of first. It happens about every fifth or sixth time.

From a stop, shifting into first, let the clutch out and at about 3/4 of the way it will pop. If it does not pop it will stay in gear even when redeploying the clutch. Like in heavy traffic stop and go.

It is time for a clutch and I want to address this all at once.

Also any advice on rebuilt transmissions and clutch kits would be much appreciated.

Philmo.

philmo418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
btn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My 2000 has always done this too since I got it at 130K miles. I just make sure the shifter is pushed fully into 1st, and sometimes I'll hold pressure on it to keep it there when taking off from a stop. I decided to just live with it until it needs a whole new transmission since this has been the only thing wrong with the transmission, even at 210K miles.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.