2000 Jeep TJ Rust and other issues/questions (Image Heavy) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2000 Jeep TJ Rust and other issues/questions (Image Heavy)

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
Cocoyofoo

2000 Jeep TJ Rust and other issues/questions (Image Heavy)

Indiana's winters have taken its toll on my 2000 TJ, I've had the car since August and its pretty obvious the PO did nothing to prevent rust. This summer I want to do everything I can do prevent the rust from spreading and making the problem any bigger than it already is. Problem is I really don't know what I have to do. I'm planning on replacing all of the hinges and if necessary replacing any easily removable body panels. Another issue that I really want solved is the bouncy ride of my TJ, are there any shocks out there that are somewhat forgiving on the road and can handle being used off road every so often

Bigger tires? Spacers?.. It just looks really weird to me..

Passenger Side, the rust spot is a little bigger than a quarter.

Frame

Tailgate/Rear End
Those spots are just water

I was also wondering.. is this normal? one of my shocks is upside down, the other one is the other way

Windshield Hinge

Does this mean I have a short arm lift kit?!?

Cocoyofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
newbs
Jeepaholic
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoyofoo View Post
Indiana's winters have taken its toll on my 2000 TJ, I've had the car since August and its pretty obvious the PO did nothing to prevent rust. This summer I want to do everything I can do prevent the rust from spreading and making the problem any bigger than it already is. Problem is I really don't know what I have to do. I'm planning on replacing all of the hinges and if necessary replacing any easily removable body panels. Another issue that I really want solved is the bouncy ride of my TJ, are there any shocks out there that are somewhat forgiving on the road and can handle being used off road every so often

Frame

Tailgate/Rear End

I was also wondering.. is this normal? one of my shocks is upside down, the other one is the other way

Windshield Hinge

click free
newbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Frame

Tailgate/Rear End

Windshield Hinge

Looks like you have a Pro Comp 3" suspension lift.

Coat your undercarriage with POR-15 for starters. For the body panels/hinges, you don't have a choice.. either replace the hinges or sand them down and re-paint them properly.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
JeeperAbe

You have a Procomp short arm life. I would upgrade shocks to OME or BDS. Both are good shocks, good ride. I dont really know about all the rust. Im deff going to be watching the thread where i have a little rust on my frame to.
Unread 02-24-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
-BeNt-
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Holy cow man. I'm no body man so I couldn't begin to tell you where to start on the windshield hinges etc. But as far as the frame goes if it is mostly surface rust right now, I would invest in a brillo bit for your drill and acouple of them while you are at it and clean most of that off by hand. What you can't get gone I would check to make sure no major damage has happen, deep rust, and purchase some of that rust-be-gone from the autoparts store that turns rust black. That stuff is supposed to neutralize it. Then once that is done give the frame a heeping helping of some black paint. That should get you by for acouple years.

As far as the paint/rust on the windshield and tailgate I would take that to a body guy where they can get the rust out, reprimer and repaint them. You would think after all these years they would develop a road salt or equivalent that doesn't eat metal. If somebody knows an easier/better way for him to solve this speak up because I would like to know for future reference as well.
-BeNt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
M.DURITZ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I can confirm that one of your shocks doesn't look right. it looks like it is upside down!
Unread 02-24-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
skyjacked94xj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.DURITZ View Post
I can confirm that one of your shocks doesn't look right. it looks like it is upside down!
x2 right there..

CLASSIC TOY
1968 Chevy C-10 short bed
Chevy 350 crate motor | 4-speed | fully restored | Lowered | 20" Centerline Daggers.. wayyy too much to list

Project
1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
350 TPI | WS6 | 48k original miles | Flame Red Metallic

SOLD: 94 cherokee | Lifted | Locked
SOLD: 97 TJ | 33's | 4.56's | :(

Searching for an Ls-1 Rx-7 project....
skyjacked94xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

some shocks are made to run upside down, like the RE-monotubes. but those shocks arnt

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #9
Zamboni68
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Flip the shock, POR the frame, and replace the hinges.

For the body panel, take it to a shop and have it done professionally. Another option is to sand and prime that spot, then cover that area with rocker sill protectors (preferrably metal that was powder-coated).

That's my 2 cents!
Zamboni68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #10
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The shock was probably flipped because the tube was hitting the exhaust or gas tank.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #11
wiggle_puppy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

In for info. I have a little bit of bubbling on the tailgait.
wiggle_puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #12
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

seems like normal rust for a midwest car. lived in michigan & ohio for 24 yrs and vividly remember salted winters. take a wire brush (or wire disc on a grinder or dremel) to all the rust and coat it with Line-X or POR15 or something like that. prime and paint over the rust on the body, fill in the bad holes & gaps with bondo and hand sand it flush, but you shouldnt be that bad. paint and primer should do the trick. it will hold off the salt for a few more winters, then it will look like that again.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 10:28 PM   #13
Cocoyofoo

Im pretty sure the frame needs extensive work.. I lightly hit the frame with a flashlight and some big flakes fell off.. I'm leaning towards using chemicals to deal with the rust. I remember seeing something on Horspower Tv, the one on Spike . Anyways it was a product that turned a piece from a car from being really rusty to completely solid and hard as it used to be
Cocoyofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2008, 07:02 AM   #14
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Im pretty sure the frame needs extensive work.. I lightly hit the frame with a flashlight and some big flakes fell off.. I'm leaning towards using chemicals to deal with the rust. I remember seeing something on Horspower Tv, the one on Spike . Anyways it was a product that turned a piece from a car from being really rusty to completely solid and hard as it used to be
the frame doesnt need chemicals or anything fancy. get a handheld steel wire brush and put some pressure on it and rub it back and forth. the rust will fall right off, all of that frame rust is just surface rust. i bet it doesnt even penetrate 1-2mm.

cleaning the frame with a wire brush by hand will take you till next winter, so get an angle grinder for 20 bucks at harbor freight and put a wire wheel on it - but keep the guard on the grinder and use some heavy welding gloves with safety goggles & a dust mask. grinder + wire wheel = lots of dust and little wires flying everywhere. i put my hand into a wire wheel on a grinder one time, luckily i had a set of welding gloves on - it took a finger off the glove - my finger was fine
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2008, 07:15 AM   #15
wildjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I live in Ohio and for my Jeep frame (and undercarriage) Por-15 is now my new best friend. It's great stuff. Just be sure to do the prep work and paint with a top coat. Don't forget to spray the inside of your frame with wd-40or some other rust inhibitor. Living in the midwest, rust is just something you have to keep up with, like any other maintenance item.
Good luck!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.