2000 4L over heating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2000 4L over heating

Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
hickamwrangler8
2000 TJ Wrangler 

2000 4L over heating

hey there, recently i drove my jeep from norfolk, va to columbia, mo on leave to visit family. before i took the trip i took the liberty to change the oil, do a full collant flush, and change out the tstat. on my way through WV i started experiancing over heating issues and my heater was blowing cold air so i assumed it was the tstat acting up. i pulled off in a town and had someone change out my tstat cuz i failed to bring my tools. i continued on for about another 300 miles and she started over heating again. everytime she started over heating i would pull over and put about a half a gal of 50/50 collant in it and would continue on. this continued to happen all the way home. once i got to missouri i figured it was a bad radiator so i bought a new one and put it in. i didnt have any issues until i started the trip back home to VA. as soon as i hit the VA line she over heated and i pulled off at a rest stop and did what i had been doing filling her up and continueing on my way when i went to take off i started hearing a ticking sound comming from the motor which i automatically new it was a rocker arm. when i got back i droped my gf off and when to NC to a shop i work on my stuff and tood it to a guy and he checked my oil along with my collant cuz he assumed that it might be a cracked head gasket. when he looked the fluids looked fine so he told me to go get a new radiator cap and see if that helps. i did that and im still experiancing all the same issues. when i was on my way back to VA i pulled over to top it off and i noticed a piece of RTV sealant that was used on the tstat at the top of my radiator, so i pulled it out. im not sure what to do because ive replaced the radiator, tstat, the water pump isnt leaking, and my fluids look good but i just cant figure out whats going on. im taking it in tomorrow to have a preasure test done, but i hope i could post something on here and get a little more knolege before i walk in tomorrow and they tell me something stupid like it needs a whole new motor and tranny and its gonna cost me 5k. any help i would really appreciate thank you

hickamwrangler8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
Dave02TJ
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

It could be a head or head gasket problem amongst other things. A shop can use an exhaust gas analyzer to check for hydrocarbons at the radiator fill neck with the radiator cap off. Other shops use a liquid in which you draw air through a liquid and if hydrocarbons are present the color changes from blue to a yellowish green. Cavemen could use compressed air in each cylinder at tdc to see if micro bubbles work their way out of the coolant (like performing a compression leak down test).
Dave02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Overheating after working on the cooling system, frequently having to add coolant though there is no evidence of leaks or fluid migration where it shouldn't be... sounds like you aren't getting all the air out of your cooling system.
Unread 02-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

^^2X. Be sure you burped the system.
Were the overheating times when you were pulling long hills?
Was the replacement radiator an OEM one?
How is the lower radiator hose? Is the spring in there?
Unread 02-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
hickamwrangler8
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i made sure that i burped the system, the bottom hose is fine, and yes it is an OEM radiator. ill probably just take it in to have a compression & diagnostic test done and see what they tell me at that point.
hickamwrangler8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.