2000 4.0l tj gauges not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2000 4.0l tj gauges not working

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
Aaron0028
2000 TJ Wrangler 

2000 4.0l tj gauges not working

Last night I went out to get an engine code from my tj, I did this by pressing in the odometer button then turning the key to on (not start) then off then on then off then on and the gauges lit up and started to move. The rpms went to 1k then 2k ect all the way to 6k all the other gauges did the same and in the odo window it read 1111111 2222222 all the way to 999999. When I went out this mourning to move it none of the gauges worked! Anyone else have this happen to them? I'm hoping for a quick simple fix, thanks

Aaron0028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
navy4life
1999 WJ 

Take the gauges out and bend all the prongs on the back a little bit to give them a better connection. TJ's had a problem with this, the TJ I just sold had the same thing happen.
navy4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
Aaron0028
2000 TJ Wrangler 

anyone know how to just reset them, if their even is a way without having to take anything out???
Unread 08-31-2011, 02:06 AM   #4
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

You can't get engine codes from 98-00 model years. By pressing the odometer button you put the cluster into the actuator test.

Cluster not coming on could be caused by a blown fuse as well as a problem with the cluster connectors. I can't tell you which fuses to check as i'm on my mobile. Check the wiring diagrams in the FSMs linked in my sig.

Edit: Back home now. Your cluster gets constant power from fuse 25 in the underhood PDC, and switched power from fuse 10 behind the glove box. Check them first as it's the simplest and cheapest thing to do.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
Aaron0028
2000 TJ Wrangler 

seems like the gauges should still work cause whenever i do the test where all the gauges move they still work??? but when driving they dont?
Unread 09-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The cluster test is just to check that all gauges and cluster controlled lamps are operative. When driving the PCM tells the cluster over the data link connector what position each of the gauges should be in. It's possible you have a bad connection at the data pin at the rear of the cluster. If you search there are threads on the forum about cleaning up the cluster connectors.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.0 , gauges , lift , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.