2000 4.0 TJ Motor "ticking" noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2000 4.0 TJ Motor "ticking" noise

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
shadygator
2000 TJ Wrangler 

2000 4.0 TJ Motor "ticking" noise

I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler with roughly 160K miles. Recently I let it sit for a week and after sitting, I cranked it & it had developed a "tick noise" which sounds like it's coming from the top of motor or the front of the motor. I changed the oil & added 1 quart of resin to it, but the "tick" was still there. I was told to change oil again & add Marvel Mystery Oil, crank it & let water temp raise, then drive for 30 min's. I did this & the tick has very slightly gone away but still remains. I removed oil cap & noise never got louder, I was told to do this & maybe it would be a lifter. Oil pressure stays at 40. The noise does get louder at high rpm's.

I've been told its not a exhaust leak, I have noticed a loss in power (I think, haven't been in Jeep for 3 weeks) so it seems slow. I was told it couldn't be a loose rocker arm also.

The noise can sound like its coming from under the timing cover too. Could there be anything in there slapping against anything? Saw tonight it could be a oil pump?

Im open to any & all suggestions. Im gonna pull valve cover off this upcoming weekend, but wanted all opinions before before hand, maybe some have seen or heard of this. THANKS in advice.

shadygator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
nwiTJdave

Try to add some SeaFoam to your oil. It could be your lifters.

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
shadygator
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiTJdave View Post
Try to add some SeaFoam to your oil. It could be your lifters.
What is the best sea foam? I went to local Auto parts store & only saw a 1 gallon jug? And fuel addictive. Im planning on running Marvel oil another 100 or so miles & then change & add this sea foam addictive. I would ask guys at local store but very poor service & very little knowledge too.

Thanks!!!!!
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sea foam is a brand, not an additive.
13836119.jpg  
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
shadygator
2000 TJ Wrangler 

After reading seafoam.com it says to put into gas? Is this not a oil treatment?
Unread 01-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
AddictedToJeeps
1997 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.dailydriventj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=856

Check out this link. It will tell you what it does, and how to use it.
AddictedToJeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
shadygator
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedToJeeps
http://www.dailydriventj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=856

Check out this link. It will tell you what it does, and how to use it.
So I should do this for a stuck lifter? Because this is a first for me..
Unread 01-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It could also be a broken piston skirt. Your description of the noise matches this issues, also.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
AddictedToJeeps
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadygator View Post
I was just showing you how to use seafoam. A ticking noise could be a stuck lifter. If you want, you can take off the valve cover, intake, exhaust, and head to find out, but that would take some time an patience. I have only had one vehicle to have a ticking noise, an 1987 mustang. I just rebuilt the motor and a lifter didn’t expan like it should have, and it was kinda loose. It got better after doing the same thing you did, the Marvel Mystery Oil. It still did not quit ticking. It was faint. I had that car revving over 6k RPMs and no problem for over a year or so. It’s still doing fine. If it bothers you, fix it. If not, look up on it some more and let it pass. My .02.
AddictedToJeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedToJeeps View Post
I just rebuilt the motor and a lifter didn’t expan like it should have,
Huh???...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #11
sweetbmxrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Huh???...
I'm betting he meant the lifter didn't pump up.
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
shadygator
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This just sounds a little sketchy to me. The whole process of taking off vacuum lines & letting it do the work & the motor bogging down & drive it, then white smoke for a while.

If I do this, how does it help a stuck lifter? Just odd to me.
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
3_stroke_engine
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had this issue for a long time in my jeep in the lower RPM range and when climbing hills, it was definitely a valve noise, kind of a metallic tapping noise? Anyway, I did a tune up few weeks back, and I replaced every thing in the ignition line (wires, cap, rotor, coil, and plugs), and i turned it over again and noticed a smoother engine, more powerful and more efficient, and it just occurred to me last week that I am no longer hearing the valve noise! I had begun to ignore the noise thinking I would have to do a valve job eventually, but I think a spark plug was misfiring and causing the valves to not lift properly. My old plugs were at 45 due to wear, and were supposed to be at 35. I think that may have been the problem
3_stroke_engine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #14
3eff_Jeff
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
After reading seafoam.com it says to put into gas? Is this not a oil treatment?
You didn't read far enough, from:
http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-u...treatment.html

Quote:
Quiet noisy lifters- hydraulic tensioners

To clean and quiet the valve train and hydraulic tensioners inside the engine add 1˝ oz. Sea Foam to each quart of crankcase oil. Sea Foam will slowly re-liquefy the old oil residue that builds up on lifters, hydraulic tensioners preventing them from functioning normally. This process can be done as part of a pre service cleaning by adding the Sea Foam to the oil at least 30 to 100 miles before the next oil change interval. OR it can be done as a preventative maintenance process without changing the oil. You can leave Sea Foam in the oil indefinitely as long as the oil is clean. The addition of a high-detergent oil like Sea Foam may cause the oil to become dirty faster than normal as buildup oil residue and contamination are cleaned. Check the oil at regular intervals and when it gets dirty, change it.
I just did this on my rig. I added the SeaFoam to the engine like I was topping up the oil about 50 miles before I changed the oil. I didn't notice any difference when driving around. (I don't know if it did what I was hoping it would, yet, as I was trying to clean out deposits that might be harboring old coolant. I'll find out in another 500 miles when I do my next oil change. 0331 cylinder heads suck.) And yes, the same stuff can go in your gasoline or your oil. It's for both. And the whole "dump into a vacuum line" won't help a stuck lifter, that's for cleaning out the intake manifold and your valves. I bought a 16oz bottle from the parts store. It takes about 2/3 of the bottle for the 4.0s oil capacity. I dumped the excess in my gas tank and burned it as fuel.

(Final note: they seem to be having website problems right now. The google cache version that I copied and pasted from is here: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...WMJ9aLRk&pbx=1)
3eff_Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #15
tjkid8
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Does your jeep have a power pack?? Some 4.0's are made with what people call a power pack it won't have a distributed cap or wires it will look like a cover over the spark plugs.. They are still good engines but what sometimes happens with them is a push rod bends and it will create a ticking noise i's solve it quick because if one breaks the rocker spring could do some damage if that decompresses and shoots somewhere
tjkid8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4.0 , lifter , tj , valve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.