2" Suspension Lift Modifications? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2" Suspension Lift Modifications?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-10-2004, 08:19 AM   #1
mossimo19
1997 TJ Wrangler 

2" Suspension Lift Modifications?

I was just talking to one of my friends about my lift. I've had a 2" suspension lift for about five years now. I only had to change the coils with longer ones, change shocks & disconnects, and steering stabilizers but do I need to do anything with my drive shaft since it's on an angle? Was there anything else that I needed to do because my Jeep has been running funny. It's making some grinding noises from the rear passenger side (at least that's where is sounds like it's coming from). It originally made a weird grinding noise in the front when I was in 2nd gear and it would not move since then I haven't heard it from the front but now it comes from the back once in a while. Was there anything else that I was supposed to do ro should still do? Any ideas where the noise is coming from? I also hear some knocking noises when I hit bumps and stuff, sounds like something is loose but can't figure it out. Any help would be great...thanks!!!

Unread 09-10-2004, 10:03 AM   #2
Brassmonkey
2014 KL Cherokee 

For the sound when you hit bumps, check the shocks in the back. The bolts going into the bar pin might not be tight enough.
Brassmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2004, 12:33 PM   #3
ChristopherJ
Resident Physician

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Your sig says you have a '97 YJ?
ChristopherJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2004, 02:05 PM   #4
mossimo19
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry...mental mistake...I fixed it...
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
commodude90
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I know, huge time difference between post dates, but i had this problem just last month. So for anyone who lands he lre with the above problem, this is what I found. A year after putting on my 2.5 inch lift, when putting the jeep into gear, I would get a grind, and it would feel like the rear was binding up on one side enough to lower the rear corner of the jeep. I could feel it when in the drivers seat, but did not see movement when I watched someone else do it from the outside.Ii checked everything from the shocks, to universals. It turned out to be loose shackles. It also caused a rattle when driving down brick streets. I found it when I had jacked up the rear axle and saw about a 1/8" gap between the bottom of the leaf springs and the axle. After tighitening up all the shackle's all the way around, thies took care of my mysterious thunk when putting the jeep into drive and the rattle when going over bumps. I now check all my suspension component every time I'm under it, after offroading or whenever somethings doesn't feel quite right. My lift kit came with wedges to tilt the axle the proper amount for the driveshaft to keep a better angle from the rear differential to the transfer case.
commodude90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Reviving a nearly 9 year old thread to talk about loose shackles (and by the description in your post it sounds like you tighten the u-bolts)? TJs don't even have leafs...
rchase559 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:08 AM   #7
lloydsmale
2000 TJ Wrangler 

if you have nothing good to say-----
my off road toys are a 2000 yellow 4 cyl with a 2 inch lift and 31 bfgs. A 2006 silverado club cab 4x4 with a 310 hp, K&N intake, borla exaust, computer reprogramed by westers, 285/17 bfg mud terrains. A yamaha grizzly, A yamaha raptor and a yamaha warrior, honda big red, 2009 polaris rzr
lloydsmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Let the dead rest.
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.