2" suspension - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2" suspension

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
campman
2012 JK Wrangler 

2" suspension

I am looking for recommendations on a 2" or 1.75" lift. Just got a set of 31x10.5 MT/R's and need new shocks. Figured I would go up a little but don't want to spend much, plus it is the daily driver.

campman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
OlivergreenCJ7
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Look at a 2" budget boost or 1.25" body lift. Body lift would be useful if you ever raise the skid plate. Rubicon, skyjacker, superlift, trailmaster, rough country all make kits from $200-$300.
Unread 10-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Stock length shocks are long enough when installing a 2" lift. That said just figure out what shock you want to run and replace your old ones with them. 2" budget boost will run you less that $75 on ebay.
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
cheapjeep06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumNiner View Post
Stock length shocks are long enough when installing a 2" lift. That said just figure out what shock you want to run and replace your old ones with them. 2" budget boost will run you less that $75 on ebay.
I beg to differ, sir. When I installed 2" pucks in the rear of my heep with the stock shocks they would "top out" when going over a hump in the road. That is, they would fully extend and slam. Only let it go for a few months, then installed 4WD Hardware shocks for 3" of lift.

cheapjeep06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Never had an issue with mine. I did it in a 1993 ZJ as well as a 2006 Rubicon. Both had stock shocks with zero problems. Maybe rubicon shocks are longer than regular TJ shocks?
Unread 10-20-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Easy solution. Go with something like this. Probably cant get much cheaper

Jeep Wrangler TJ 2" LIFT KIT w/Performance Shocks 97-06: eBay Motors (item 260679103238 end time Oct-26-10 20:00:00 PDT)
Unread 10-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
cheapjeep06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Platinum, that looks like a good kit. It is from Fat Bob's Garage. I almost bought it before. Heck, on e-bay it's $5 cheaper than on FBG website.
cheapjeep06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

do a 1.25" BL and some stock length Bilstein or Monroe shocks. you don't really need any lift to fit 31s, but that combo will be pretty nice and set up good for future mods.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Body lifts generally look crappy. They cause gaps between the body and frame. Id go with a BB over a BL any day. 1.25" is small but i still dont like the look. Just me im sure the guy with the 3" body lift thinks it looks good lol.
Unread 10-20-2010, 10:50 PM   #10
rbrad
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I installed teraflex 2" spacers (spacers are spacers so brand is not that big of an issue) and installed rancho shocks for a 2 to 2 1/2" lift and am happy with the results. I am running 31's now but am going to go to 32's. If you don't wheel much you can probably get by with the stock shocks but you really need the longer shocks to to it right. The comment about the body lift isn't a bad idea as the transfer case has been the biggest obstacle so a tummy tuck isn't a bad idea if you aren't going to go for a bigger lift. The anchor (transfer skid) hooked the boulder hence the winch ..........The never ending obsession........it's a jeep thing.
101_0799s.jpg   100_5245s.jpg   100_5244s.jpg  

Last edited by rbrad; 10-20-2010 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: Added Pics
rbrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 11:20 PM   #11
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumNiner View Post
Body lifts generally look crappy. They cause gaps between the body and frame. Id go with a BB over a BL any day. 1.25" is small but i still dont like the look.
You're just jealous because you can't do a 1.25" BL on your ZJ to gain 2-3" of belly clearance and 1.5" of gas tank skid clearance.

oh and a 1" BL reduces the amount of bumpstop you need to fit a given tire size
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #12
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Jealous? LOL no deff not. Im glad to not have my truck look like its on stilts. Not to mention the t-case on a ZJ or XJ doesnt hang nearly as low as ona TJ. I spent the money on a nice 6.5" life for my XJ and did it right! I know the TJ well. I bought an 06 Rubicon new in 06 and once again installed a suspension lift in it. 1" body lift doesnt look so bad just not my taste. Anything more looks terrible IMO
Unread 10-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #13
MCDavis
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrad View Post
I installed teraflex 2" spacers (spacers are spacers so brand is not that big of an issue) and installed rancho shocks for a 2 to 2 1/2" lift and am happy with the results. I am running 31's now but am going to go to 32's. If you don't wheel much you can probably get by with the stock shocks but you really need the longer shocks to to it right. The comment about the body lift isn't a bad idea as the transfer case has been the biggest obstacle so a tummy tuck isn't a bad idea if you aren't going to go for a bigger lift. The anchor (transfer skid) hooked the boulder hence the winch ..........The never ending obsession........it's a jeep thing.
What wheels are those?
MCDavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #14
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I went with an OME 2.5 HD lift. My Jeep now is a daily driver. No complaints here.
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #15
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

OME makes great stuff very comfortable ride. Still in the end he wants CHEAP and OME 2.5" lift with shocks is what about $700? Way over priced IMO If you want cheap stick with a BB it will keep you close to stock ride quality and call it a day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.