2?'s Which speedo gear and actual gear ratio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2?'s Which speedo gear and actual gear ratio

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
maxum3300
2005 LJ Wrangler 

2?'s Which speedo gear and actual gear ratio

I'm about to put 315/75-16 BFG MT's on my Rubicon LJ. It still has the stock gears but what is the actual gear ratio in the Rubicon? I've heard 4.10's and 4.11's. Which is it. Also what speedo gear would I need? Quadratec states that for 4.10's and 35's I should use a 33 tooth gear but yet they don't list one. They have a 32 and a 34 but no 33. Does anyone know if this is correct and where I can get one? Thanks.

maxum3300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Moses2564
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I believe that the Rubi 44's are geared to true 4.10, while the 4 cylinder Jeeps have 4.11's.

Your Rubicon can not use a tooth gear, as it has an electronic speedometer sensor. You can have the speedo sensor flashed at the dealership for the new tire size, or buy an aftermarket "flasher" that allows you to program multiple tire sizes, and plugs in to the OBDII port.
1997 Arctic Cat ZRT 600

Check out my build thread!
Moses2564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Most TJs with that ratio have a combination of 4.10 and 4.11 because they have different axles front and rear. Your Rubicon has matched Dana 44 axles so they are both the same. I forget which it is, 4.10 or 4.11, but it really doesn't matter... treat them as the same ratio when you look up various things that ask for the axle ratio.

Your Rubicon does not have or use a speedometer gear, it has an electronic speedometer pickup and it needs be reprogrammed for different size tires to re-calibrate the speedometer. Your dealer can reprogram it for some larger tire sizes but not all. Or you can use something like a Truespeed speedometer calibrator which is a small external electronic module that is wired into the speedometer wiring out of the transfer case so you can reprogram it via dip switches for different size tires.

There's another electronic speedometer calibrator module floating around for $80 or so but its name escapes me at the moment. It'd be cheaper and it works as well as the Truespeed from what I undersand.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses2564 View Post
4 cylinder Jeeps have 4.11's.
All Jeeps except the Rubicon have a mix of 4.10 and 4.11 at the front and rear axles when they have that ratio. This is because of the different sizes of ring gears inside the front Dana 30 and rear Dana 35c or Dana 44 axles. Just like 3.54 and 3.55, 3.73 and 3.74, and 4.10 and 4.11... there is always that .01 difference between the non-Rubicon Wrangler's front and rear axles.

The Rubicon has matching Dana 44 axles front and rear so its front and rear ratios match exactly. I don't recall if that is 4.10 or 4.11 but for all intents and purposes, it doesn't matter because they are the same ratio in effect.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
Maxxram
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post

There's another electronic speedometer calibrator module floating around for $80 or so but its name escapes me at the moment. It'd be cheaper and it works as well as the Truespeed from what I undersand.
This would be the Dakota Digital SGI-5. I just ordered one for my 06 LJ Rubicon.
I will be installing it this weekend.
Maxxram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 05:52 AM   #6
maxum3300
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the info guys. One more question, if I decide to change the gears do I have to reprogram it again for the new gears?
maxum3300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 06:40 AM   #7
Maxxram
2006 LJ Wrangler 

With the electronic speedometer calibration devices, if you should change tire size and/or gear ratio's you simply readjust the device to correct the error.
Maxxram is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.