2 Piece hardtop vs 1 piece hardtop? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2 Piece hardtop vs 1 piece hardtop?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-06-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
supercub43

2 Piece hardtop vs 1 piece hardtop?

Wanting to buy a hardtop and I see there's a 2 piece top available. Any comments about which is better 1 or 2 piece?? Any trouble with the 2 piece Hardtops leaking at the seams?? Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. Thanks
Brian

supercub43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would assume that the 2 piece would be more prone to leaks. As you said.

Personally get the 1 piece for the winter and use the soft top or safari/tonneu for the other seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2007, 01:49 AM   #3
bluejeep2088

two piece sucks, i have one i would know. its doesnt leak but its really really annoying to get all the tabs and crap lined up. The top is porely made so it catches major air when you drive with the sun roof part off. That makes it have horrible drag and you can actually feel your jeep being slower. im sorry i didnt buy a one piece.
99TJ, 3.5 RE,33x12.5 bfg mts, ford 8.8 and dana 30 with 4.56 gears, rhino lined tub, IPF head lights, AFE cold air intake, TB spacer, catch all floor mats, sound system to block out the loud *** tires, 2 piece hardtop, brown dog 1" mm lift
bluejeep2088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2007, 02:31 AM   #4
Texas Jeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeep2088
two piece sucks, i have one i would know. its doesnt leak but its really really annoying to get all the tabs and crap lined up. The top is porely made so it catches major air when you drive with the sun roof part off. That makes it have horrible drag and you can actually feel your jeep being slower. im sorry i didnt buy a one piece.
Wow I guess I will scratch a 2 piece hard top off my list. Thanks for the info
3.5 RK lift with 35 inch Duratrac's
1985 CJ7

Texas Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
BigGillyStyle

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Occasionally I think for the extra money I paid for my 2-piece I should've just stayed with the stock 1-piece. However, as soon as warm weather comes around, my brothers-in-law and I love popping the sunroof section off and placing it on the rear roof rack...after a good long mountain bike ride. I certainly expect some increased windnoise, but it's none too bad for me...and this is driving at 75 MPH on the interstate. The one thing I do have to agree with is that the adjustment mechanisms to keep the top anchored down and aligned properly are not top quality and need relatively frequent "fiddling". But overall I just love being able to go "open air" in about 15 seconds time (usually with someone else helping put the sunroof section on the roof rack). With the map pockets on the sunroof section and the standard carpeting around the inside of the whole top, it is of better overall quality than the stock 1-piece (even though made by the same company).
Rocky Mountain Edition Club, Member #3
BigGillyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
cyclerider105

I'm going to back up John on this one! Got the 2 piece and love it! No leaks, nice to pop the front off when the weather turns warmer, but you don't want to take the top off completely! Another big issue for me is storage. I didn't buy the 2 piece with storage in mind, but I have found that the 2 piece will fit in my storage shed since the front comes off and reduces the over all size quite a bit. A big bonus for me! I recommend the 2 piece!
cyclerider105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
BigGillyStyle

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclerider105
I'm going to back up John on this one! Got the 2 piece and love it! No leaks...
Yes, leaks have definitely never been an issue...even with the Jeep outside lately and the several feet of snow we've been having in Denver.
Rocky Mountain Edition Club, Member #3
BigGillyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
BlueTeeJay

I've NEVER seen a two piece before.
I want one.
BlueTeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2007, 08:09 PM   #9
cyclerider105

Here's a link!
http://www.bestop.com/index.php?s=10
cyclerider105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2007, 08:23 PM   #10
Difranco

I think you could get that "fresh" feeling by getting soft doors without all the drag.
Orange Jeep Club Member #13--Metalhead Jeep Club Member #13--Poseur Jeep Club Member #13
Gun Control: Means never having to say "I missed you!"

FOR SALE: OE Rubicon Shocks / OE Rear Bumper / OE 3rd Brake light / OE Front Trackbar / OE Rear Trackbar -- PM for details and make your best offer.
Difranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2007, 08:33 PM   #11
JTB51B
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had a 2 piece on my YJ. The top was great (other than being made for square corner doors only)-- The hard uppers SUCK. I wouldn't wish that mess on an enemy. The 2 piece top I had didn't leak and fit well.

Jason
1998 Sport Auto trans, 3.73 gears, D30/lockright D44/Detroit, 33" Mud tires, FT LCA's JKS Adj. Trac bar FT 4" coils, RE GEN II Disco's--1 1/4 JKS BL, 1" MML XD9000i up front, HD bumpers with extraction points.-Done.
1973 cz 250 MX Not much suspension, but 36 BHP at 6k rpms!
2006 Rhino SE, 27" Mud lites and a cupholder.
http://www.caos4x4.com/cmbs/index.php
JTB51B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2007, 09:10 PM   #12
fire239
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have the 2 piece and it is fine for what it is intended for. No leaks and very well made. Carpet (headliner type material, but thicker) in the inside. Warm and quiet. I just really dont like ANY hard top because they are a pain to take on and off.
fire239 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.