2" OME suspension lift w/ shocks & Springs. Not theBB or the2.5" lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2" OME suspension lift w/ shocks & Springs. Not theBB or the2.5" lift

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 08-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
CCJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

2" OME suspension lift w/ shocks & Springs. Not theBB or the2.5" lift

For the few of us that are running the 2" lift from OME. I was wondering what trac bars you all are using among other things.

Did you get the light, medium, or heavy load kit? How does said kit ride (IE better then factory or worse?)

What size tires you running? (If in profile just say check profile)

How long have you had this kit?

Any complaints or issues?

What trac bar are you running? If aftermarket does it ever hit your diff?

Did you get the black shocks or the yellow ones?

Where did you get your kit from?

How much did you pay for it?

Thanks in advance. Any questions you all have feel free to chime in. I'm hoping to make this an official owners thread where those that are curious to purchase can check in here and those that already own can ask questions to other owners in here.

CCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
blankslate
2002 TJ Wrangler 

JKS Adjustable TB's front and rear
HD
31's, but the lift *just* went on a little over a week ago. It's obvious that bigger wheels/tires are next on the list. Prob going to 33's (D30/35 axles)
Like it so far. I've got one, lightly discussed, steering problem, otherwise, no DW or other issues.
I don't think either TB are rubbing the diff's. Although I did have to use the relocation bracket on the rear--just no getting around it.
OME has a black shock option?

I will sing this from the rooftops: Northridge4x4. I had ordered from Quadratec a month before my deployment was up. Got home...no lift. Canceled that order, talked to Dave at Nr--5 days later, UPS bubba shows up. Called Dave three times during the install: he was happy to talk. Questions?
$650 on the doorstep.
Aside from the "read the tools list carefully before tearing down the jeep" gotchas, (had to hop on the motorcycle for odds-n-ends...twice), I thought the spring install was glossed over by most write-ups for this mechanical novice's taste. Take out the bump stops (and the crowd says "DUH!"), and use spring compressors (once again___).

Other than that, my primary references were:
Factory service manual
Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource Old Man Emu Jeep JK Wrangler 2" Lift Installation Write-Up
suspension lift
Jeeps Unlimited - Old Man Emu 2-2.5 " TJ Suspension Lift Install
Old Man Emu's Wrangler Suspension - - Jeep at Off-Road.com

Robert Livingston
blankslate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
CCJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankslate View Post
HD
31's, but the lift *just* went on a little over a week ago. It's obvious that bigger wheels/tires are next on the list. Prob going to 33's (D30/35 axles)
Like it so far. I've got one, lightly discussed, steering problem, otherwise, no DW or other issues.
I don't think either TB are rubbing the diff's. Although I did have to use the relocation bracket on the rear--just no getting around it.
OME has a black shock option?

I will sing this from the rooftops: Northridge4x4. I had ordered from Quadratec a month before my deployment was up. Got home...no lift. Canceled that order, talked to Dave at Nr--5 days later, UPS bubba shows up. Called Dave three times during the install: he was happy to talk. Questions?
$650 on the doorstep.
Aside from the "read the tools list carefully before tearing down the jeep" gotchas, (had to hop on the motorcycle for odds-n-ends...twice), I thought the spring install was glossed over by most write-ups for this mechanical novice's taste. Take out the bump stops (and the crowd says "DUH!"), and use spring compressors (once again___).

Other than that, my primary references were:
Factory service manual
Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource Old Man Emu Jeep JK Wrangler 2" Lift Installation Write-Up
suspension lift
Jeeps Unlimited - Old Man Emu 2-2.5 " TJ Suspension Lift Install
Old Man Emu's Wrangler Suspension - - Jeep at Off-Road.com
Awesome info Brother. Thanks for the input. And yeap, there is a black shock option from OME. Here's a link Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shock Absorbers, Black - OK4WD
CCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCJ View Post
For the few of us that are running the 2" lift from OME. I was wondering what trac bars you all are using among other things.

Did you get the light, medium, or heavy load kit? How does said kit ride (IE better then factory or worse?) Heavy Load (933 front + 0.75" spacer, 949 rear), ride BETTER than stock

What size tires you running? (If in profile just say check profile) 31s till they wear out, but setup for 33s

How long have you had this kit? ~3000 miles

Any complaints or issues? Slight steering wiggle at 49-50mph ONLY - its steering harmonics, i'm guessing balance + change in scrub radius.

What trac bar are you running? If aftermarket does it ever hit your diff? JKS, yep it hits the riddler diff cover. Currie was still the same as JKS, and I didn't know about the issue until the day after I got the JKS. Also have a JKS in rear.

Did you get the black shocks or the yellow ones? Yellow, painted them semi-gloss black. holds up fine.

Where did you get your kit from? Ebay

How much did you pay for it? $600, free shipping

Thanks in advance. Any questions you all have feel free to chime in. I'm hoping to make this an official owners thread where those that are curious to purchase can check in here and those that already own can ask questions to other owners in here.

See above. Pics and detailed measurements are in my build thread, linked in the sig.

Last edited by Unlimited04; 08-21-2009 at 06:59 PM..
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
crqflier
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankslate View Post
Although I did have to use the relocation bracket on the rear--just no getting around it.
[/URL]
Why would you need the relo bracket with a JKS adjustable TB in the back?

I've got the HD setup. See profile and build thread for full review including before/after measurements. Only regret is doing the TC drop instead of the SYE/CV - which I'll be doing as soon as I feel like crawling under the jeep some more. Dirk at DPG off road is great, great prices too.
crqflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crqflier View Post

I've got the HD setup. See profile and build thread for full review including before/after measurements. Only regret is doing the TC drop instead of the SYE/CV - which I'll be doing as soon as I feel like crawling under the jeep some more. Dirk at DPG off road is great, great prices too.
if you've rotated the pinion due to a CV shaft, you still need an angled relocation bracket...
Unread 08-21-2009, 09:12 PM   #7
crqflier
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
if you've rotated the pinion due to a CV shaft, you still need an angled relocation bracket...
no cv mention or in the profile. any other reason?
crqflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I had the OME kit in my '98 for about 10 years. Along with the OME I had a 1"BL and CV drive shaft w/SYE. I made my own upper control arms to the correct length. When I added the winch and Hanson bumper I also installed OME XJ front springs which are the same height but have a higher spring rate to compensate for the added weight.

I ran 34x10.5 LTB Swampers for off road and 33x10.5 BFG ATs on the street.

I used the stock sway bars.

At the time, there were no black OME shocks.

I loved the setup and contemplated going the same route with the new 'er' Rubicon LJ but said 'what the heck' and installed the Nth 4.5 LA kit.

You won't be disappointed with the OME.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 11:58 PM   #9
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Quote:
even without a cv, a relocation bracket is needed.

Quote:
no cv mention or in the profile. any other reason?
this is the reason for a relocation bracket even with an adjustable track bar.... Yes.. it's a JKS. also notice how much further the left tire is off the rack, the other is touching the rack... and no, it's not from the lifting point.

BTW, the shocks are n67L and are no where near fully extended, they are hanging from the bound up track bar. a relocation bracket eliminates the bind.
there is also only 2.5" of uptravel due to the "L" shocks on the 2.5" lift and shock mount extensions.. which stinks to high heaven for ride quality.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 07:22 AM   #10
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
even without a cv, a relocation bracket is needed.
Mine has a very slight bend, but barely noticable - maybe 1/16", not even the thickness of the material. Nowhere near as bad as that. I've got the standard length shocks. Why not weld a 1/8" plate over the top, and use a grinder to notch out a small C? I had considered that, and still may, but the deformation is barely noticable - and I could have possibly did that during install.
Unread 08-22-2009, 07:32 AM   #11
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Mine has a very slight bend, but barely noticable - maybe 1/16", not even the thickness of the material. Nowhere near as bad as that. I've got the standard length shocks. Why not weld a 1/8" plate over the top, and use a grinder to notch out a small C? I had considered that, and still may, but the deformation is barely noticable - and I could have possibly did that during install.
That still does nothing to correct the geometry. Ideally, the track bar would be parallel to the axle so you either raise the axle end or lower the frame end. The steeper the angle of the bar the greater the lateral movement of the axle when cycling the suspension.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #12
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I don't think you've hung the axle enough to harm it, I know if you jack up the rear by the frame/bumper, the left side will not hang as far as the right and will bind on the top of the bracket. I have cut em off and rewelded the top, without a relocation bracket and brace, they still twist and break right down the side of the welds, the upper control arm is also tugging on it.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 07:48 AM   #13
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCJ View Post
Did you get the light, medium, or heavy load kit?
You need to tailor the components to your specific situation. For example, you might need light springs in the front and medium ones in the rear. (You don't want the light springs on the rear unless you are very light; ie:soft top, no rear passengers, 4 cyl engine.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #14
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
I don't think you've hung the axle enough to harm it, I know if you jack up the rear by the frame/bumper, the left side will not hang as far as the right and will bind on the top of the bracket. I have cut em off and rewelded the top, without a relocation bracket and brace, they still twist and break right down the side of the welds, the upper control arm is also tugging on it.
interesting. mine has been on a car lift a few times since the lift install, but I didn't look close enough to see if one side was hanging lower than the other. Nor did I look to see how far one side was sticking out. I'll try to check next time its in the air.
Unread 08-22-2009, 08:26 AM   #15
red rubi
So long pal!

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you get the light, medium, or heavy load kit? How does said kit ride (IE better then factory or worse?)
Heavy Duty DPG Ultimate Long Travel with extended bumpstops. Better than stock, as UL04 mentioned slight vibe around 50 mph most likely from running 33" MT Claws.

Quote:
How long have you had this kit?
Since June

Quote:
Any complaints or issues?
None

Quote:
What trac bar are you running? If aftermarket does it ever hit your diff?
I have the stock D44 covers and am running JKS Track bars front and rear. No hits, I just checked.
Quote:
Did you get the black shocks or the yellow ones?
Yellow, They're OME!

Quote:
Where did you get your kit from?
How much did you pay for it?
Dirk at DPG I think it was about a Grand, but I already had the BL/MML and Sway Loc. Shocks, Springs, F&R Trackbars, Bumpstops, and a swell hat

My Jeep looks and runs great!
red rubi is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.